Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

dante01

Distinguished Member
Well the latter rather than the former wouldn't one think be a tad more useful no?

The older remote works fine and is a much better remote to be fair

I don't know, you tell me. You are the one who didn't explain themselves.

This wouldn't help the OP unless he were to either have an old Yamaha remote at his disposal, he buys one or buys a third party remote such as one of Logitech's Harmony remotes.

Some loimted control may be possible if you can program the coloured buttons to represented HDMI sources though? I'm under the impression that these are SCENE configuration buttons as opposed to simply being programmable with just a single predertermined commans though?

EDIT It is as I suggested and the coloured buttons and or the SCENE buttons are SCENE only. They'd simply result in the AV receiver powering itself up out of standby if pressed while the unit is in standby.

Last edited:

Brettster

Well the latter rather than the former wouldn't one think be a tad more useful no?

The older remote works fine and is a much better remote to be fair
Thank you so much Whitehart, I actually had an older Yamaha Remote in the loft and it does indeed work perfectly, I can switch inputs with the number buttons whilst in standby mode. I'm much happier now, Just hope they fix the other issues with it now such as the Xbox one X losing picture and sound when switched to another input and back again!, the fun of early adopters!

whitehart

Given the fact that the ability to select sources via the remote while using STANDBY THROUGH was previously documented within the user manuals for Yamaha models predating the V6, I'd have to suggest that this ability has been dropped due to such references no longer being made in the V6's manual?

Previous reference to STANDBY THROUGH within an older Yamaha manual:
View attachment 1382598

Current reference from the RXV6A's manual:
View attachment 1382599
You can't use the up and down on the remote that comes with it - you can however use a harmony remote for the sources directly / older yamaha remote that has the sources buttons. Ive edited this to make it clearer

Last edited:

Brettster

This post would lead people to believe that changing source in standby does not work - which is incorrect, you can use the up and down on the remote that comes with it - or use a harmony remote for the sources directly / older yamaha remote that has the sources

Just to make it clear for the owners in here - yes it does work. Not a fan of false information.
Does yours work with the supplied remote to change sources with up / down while in standby? mine only works in on mode. even the App (if im using the right one, Musiccast) only allows me to select the input whilst on

dante01

Distinguished Member
This post would lead people to believe that changing source in standby does not work - which is incorrect, you can use the up and down on the remote that comes with it - or use a harmony remote for the sources directly / older yamaha remote that has the sources

Just to make it clear for the owners in here - yes it does work. Not a fan of false information.

Neither did you previously indicate that the up and down source selection worked while the unit was in standby and nor did you confirm that the older Yamaha remote worked. Why was your post any more informative than mine? You are the one with the AV receiver so maybe post the answers to the questions being asked as opposed to expecting anyone reading your posts being able to read your mind.

You made absolutely no mention of any ability for the AV receiver to actually be able to select the HDMI source prior to it being confirmed by someone else. The post above this one confirms you've as yet not informed anyone of anything.

Last edited:

whitehart

Neither did you previously indicate that the up and down source selection worked while the unit was in standby and nor did you confirm that the older Yamaha remote worked. Why was your post any more informative than mine? You are the one with the AV receiver so maybe post the answers to the questions being asked as opposed to expecting anyone reading your posts being able to read your mind.

You made absolutely no mention of any ability for the AV receiver to actually be able to select the HDMI source prior to it being confirmed by someone else. The post above this one confirms you've as yet not informed anyone of anything.
if you actually read my post instead of jumping shark you would have read i was going to test this which i have done and it works and i have let people know .
Your information was incorrect that is all, thanks for your input though. Im sure you can cope

NSBulk

I was watching "The Right Stuff" on Disney+ in Dolby Vision via the Apple TV hooked into the RX-V6A and in bright objects I had major banding. It didn't affect any other portions of the image. Watching the same scenes via the internal TV app, bypassing the receiver, I did not see banding.

dante01

Distinguished Member
if you actually read my post instead of jumping shark you would have read i was going to test this which i have done and it works and i have let people know .
Your information was incorrect that is all, thanks for your input though. Im sure you can cope

I could have as easilly said "I'm off the buy this receiver tomorrow and will report back". What did you divulge that wasn't already known? You've still not answered the question posed by Brettster relating to what you've posted. He suggests that the up and down source selector has no effect while in standby.

Does yours work with the supplied remote to change sources with up / down while in standby? mine only works in on mode. even the App (if im using the right one, Musiccast) only allows me to select the input whilst on

Maybe it is also worth testing the control app to see what effect this has while the AVR is in standby? Note that the MusicCast app and the Control app are two seperate entities.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've just run some tests with an older Yamaha RXA1050 and the Yamaha AV Controller app will facilitate selecting and switching HDMI sources while the AV receiver is in standby and while STANDBY THROUGH is engaged. I'd assume that this should still be possible while using the RXA6A if Yamaha still support HDMI source switching while in standby?

The only thing to ponder is whether the Yamaha AV controller app actually now funxtions with the new models? Yamaha don't list it as an option for the new models on their site and only reference the MusicvCast app. My receiver can use both the AV Control app and the MusicCast app. The MusiCast app doesn't unfortunately allow you to interface or control a device unless that device is powered up out of standby.

Last edited:

Brettster

I've just run some tests with an older Yamaha RXA1050 and the Yamaha AV Controller app will facilitate selecting and switching HDMI sources while the AV receiver is in standby and while STANDBY THROUGH is engaged. I'd assume that this should still be possible while using the RXA6A if Yamaha still support HDMI source switching while in standby?

The only thing to ponder is whether the Yamaha AV controller app actually now funxtions with the new models? Yamaha don't list it as an option for the new models on their site and only reference the MusicvCast app. My receiver can use both the AV Control app and the MusicCast app. The MusiCast app doesn't unfortunately allow you to interface or control a device unless that device is powered up out of standby.
Thank you for taking the time to Test this, Unfortunatly the AV Controller app just opens up the MusicCast app and without that installed it just prompts you to install it. The older Yamaha remote that I have only had 4 HDMI inputs so I'll look for one that can replace all the buttons on the really cheap feeling RAV575 RC that comes with the V6A

jhalpinjr

Standard Member
Very much a newbie question here: Is there any way to set the Volume level db to Zero for no sound? I just cant grasp the negative db and how its going to relate to sound output when I change an input or start up playback.

I have blown myself away quite a few times because it was too loud and I have no reference point
I

dante01

Distinguished Member
Very much a newbie question here: Is there any way to set the Volume level db to Zero for no sound? I just cant grasp the negative db and how its going to relate to sound output when I change an input or start up playback.

I have blown myself away quite a few times because it was too loud and I have no reference point
I

You'd have to set the master volume to a minus setting for it to result in no sound. Zero equates to reference volume and this is what the scale is relative to. So 0db is the level to which the AV receiver calibrates reference and this equates to 75db relative to the test tone's SPL as measured from your primary listening location. The primay location is determined by the initial location you place the mic during the calibration process. A minus master volume setting represents how much below reference you are portraying the audio while a positive setting would be how far above reference you are portraying it. A -20db master volume setting would be 20db below reference or equal to the test tone being portrayed at 55db (75db reference minus 20db) as measured from your primary listening location, while 0db would be reference and would equate to the test tone being portrayed at 75db as measured from you primary listening location.

You may find the following informative:

If you want to portray a film soundtrack as it was intended to be heard then you'd need to set the master volume to 0db after the receiver has been correctly configured and calibrated. This would give you the same dynamic range as experienced by whoever mixed that soundtrack and a close approximation of what you'd experience in a cinema. This is however rather loud for most households and not exactly neighbour friendly. Most people set the master volume below this while watching films and set it anywhere from -20db up to 0db. It would be very inadvisable to set the volume above or higher than reference.

Yamaha AV receivers only use the relative to reference master volume scale and there's no option to change this and use an absolute scale instead.

Last edited:

yallaman

@jhalpinjr:
If you want a standard numeric scale from 0 (to 97 in Yamaha's case) for the volume level, you can select it in the Setup menu:

Function > User Interface > Display Settings > Volume

Then select "0–97" instead of "dB".

whitehart

unfortunetly no -You can't use the up and down on the remote that comes with it - you can however use a harmony remote for the sources directly / older yamaha remote that has the sources buttons. Ive edited this to make it clearer

whitehart

Which Harmony remote is the best one to control this Yamaha?
I have the Harmony elite - which has everything with it - I have seeded the database to have up to HDMI 5 as direct button with it ( i will be borrowing a friends remote to get it to 7 next week) so hopefully anyone with a harmony remote will get the direct HDMI buttons - the up and down for source is so rubbish!

dante01

Distinguished Member
@jhalpinjr:
If you want a standard numeric scale from 0 (to 97 in Yamaha's case) for the volume level, you can select it in the Setup menu:

Function > User Interface > Display Settings > Volume

Then select "0–97" instead of "dB".

That's something new and Yamaha didn't previously give you the option to use an absolute scale for the volume instead of a relative db scale.

I'd personally still suggest continuing to persevere with the relative db scale because this scale is directly relatable to what you are actually hearing and can be quantified.

dante01

Distinguished Member
As far as the Harmony goes, you can simply add any previous Yamaha model that included 7 HDMI inputs to your remote and then add the associated input buttons to your activity. You don'y have to learn the buttons from another remote.

You'd also ne able to add the INFO button to your activities which from what has been said preciously, still controls what is being shown on the receiver's display?

I know a lot of people wanted a more simplified Yamaha remote, but the remote Yamaha have now given you appears to be a lot less functional and impedes the user as opposed to making their lives any simpler.

MaSc

I was watching "The Right Stuff" on Disney+ in Dolby Vision via the Apple TV hooked into the RX-V6A and in bright objects I had major banding. It didn't affect any other portions of the image. Watching the same scenes via the internal TV app, bypassing the receiver, I did not see banding.
That seems to be a bug within the firmware plaguing every owner using it for HDR content. In a YouTube comment someone mentioned a reddit post from a Yamaha employee who confirmed that and the eARC dysfunctionality as a known issue but he does not provide a link to that post neither could I find it by myself.

Gabik123

Novice Member
Havent seen this discussed here after reviewing every post, so here it goes -

As of last weekend, Costco is now selling the TSR-700, a Costco rebrand of the V6A (same specs, chassis, and firmware) for $400! I returned my v6a and got the 700, it is indeed identical. Item number is 1017700 and per other threads is confirmed in CA, TX, AZ, and CO.

Dante and I had a spirited discussion on another thread about the v6a, and I still am not sure I agree with him, but regardless I’m happy with the v6a/700. I don’t have any banding issues that others have complained about.

Currently running my Xbox through my tv and eARC out to AVR since there is no VRR support for Xbox in current AVR firmware. I am running a 77CX and I had endless issues with eARC on a Denon, but none whatsoever on the Yamaha.

Thank you for the earlier post explaining how to change the function of the color buttons, and in general reading through this helped me learn some new things about the AVR and how best to optimize its functionality.

jsirgey

Novice Member
Anyone here using the V6A/700 with the latest Vizio P65Q9-H1? Having major dropout issues with eArc on but they go away with normal ARC.

NSBulk

I did multi-point YPAO this afternoon and it still whiffed on my surround channels, saying they were between 10 and 13 feet away. They're both 6 feet away. It also set them as "Large" when they should be "Small." I've tweaked both distance and size and it sounds fine.

I never had this YPAO issue with my RX-V665 with the same layout.

Bombers56

Novice Member
I did multi-point YPAO this afternoon and it still whiffed on my surround channels, saying they were between 10 and 13 feet away. They're both 6 feet away. It also set them as "Large" when they should be "Small." I've tweaked both distance and size and it sounds fine.

I never had this YPAO issue with my RX-V665 with the same layout.
An interesting article on how to use YPAO. See if it can help?

RJD

Novice Member
Having problems when using my LG CX (HDMI Port 2) connected (Belkin HDMI 2.1) to my Yamaha V4A.

1) I’m having sound drop-outs for a sec while watching content from the TV (apps or video’s from my NAS).

2) I cant get my sound to work at all when I’m trying to use eARC. (HDMI control off on V4A and turned eARC to on on the LG)

I’ve ran the latest update from last week.

Anyone has the same problems or/and know how to fix this? What settings do you use?

thanks in advance

(from the Netherlands)

Cryfreman

Looking at a review on YouTube , they mentioned how these units don’t have 4k60 yet??
was about to pull the trigger for my incoming Xbox series X
Could go the Arc route but seems messy at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett