Yamaha RX-V4A & V6A Owners Thread

dante01

Distinguished Member
will ALLM,VRR,QMS,QFT etc etc work only in game mode??
No, but one would assume that a TV compliant with ALLM would automatically invoke its Game mode if the signal being conveyed to it is inclusive of the associated metadata? This mode disengages all video processing that would otherwise cause a lag, delay or latency.

"Auto Low Latency Mode" (ALLM) is a HDMI feature defined in HDMI 2.1 that allows a source such as a gaming console to direct all compatible components in the HDMI chain (e.g. AV-Receiver and TV sets) to enter its low-latency mode automatically without requiring the user to navigate a menu to set the optimal latency for their content. This allows the picture to be displayed with least possible delay which is desirable when gaming.

Displays using ALLM will reduce their motion compensation and picture processing etc. to minimise delays before presenting the information onscreen, making the gaming experience feel more responsive.

Compatible AVRs should disable the following functions as same as Game mode in the conventional video mode setting when the ALLM mode is enable at HDMI input signal to achieve a lower latency:
  • Picture Adjust
  • Scaling
  • Audio Delay adjustments and auto Lip Sync adjustments

The other features although associated with games, do not necessarily need or require the games mode to be engaged. All you'd need is a TV that is equipped to exploit these features.

Last edited:

NSBulk

I updated my RX-V6A to the latest firmware last (presumably 1.23) and I immediately noticed the banding in Dolby Vision content. This was not happening before the update. I'm certain they are now writing firmware for this and will be fixed. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

MaSc

I updated my RX-V6A to the latest firmware last (presumably 1.23) and I immediately noticed the banding in Dolby Vision content. This was not happening before the update. I'm certain they are now writing firmware for this and will be fixed. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
Many thanks for your report and sad that you are now affected by it too.

So big warning to all owners: Do not update to 1.23!

I could not remember if this was an issue with 1.20. I recognized it first with 1.23 but I did not use it intensively before the update and I'm new to HDR. But now I can stop questioning myself and it was not bugged with 1.20 and I did not recognized it because of that.

Funny, previously I did not know that color banding is a thing at all but it was obvious that the graphic could not be right.

Last edited:

NSBulk

Many thanks for your report and sad that you are now affected by it too.

So big warning to all owners: Do not update to 1.23!

I could not remember if this was an issue with 1.20. I recognized it first with 1.23 but I did not use it intensively before the update and I'm new to HDR. But now I can stop questioning myself and it was not bugged with 1.20 and I did not recognized it because of that.

Funny, previously I did not know that color banding is a thing at all but it was obvious that the graphic could not be right.
Aaarrrggghhhh! You quoted my post before I could fix a typo! :)

I meant to type "now writing" not "not writing." :)

As this is a new piece of gear with at least one major firmware update still to come, I'm sure Yamaha will fix this Dolby Vision bug.

MaSc

As this is a new piece of gear with at least one major firmware update still to come, I'm sure Yamaha will fix this Dolby Vision bug.
There are two big updates already announced right now.
One in December for the HDMI 2.1 thing and one in Q1 for the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.
Let's hope they quality test that updates better than the last one.

P.S. I will fix your typo in the quote.

NSBulk

And now I can't explain this, but Dolby Vision looks fine via my Apple TV running the 1.23 firmware. I'm watching the same scene from Blade Runner that I watched last night (when Bryant is showing the replicants to Deckard). There was a big white light behind Harrison Ford that was nothing but banding, and now it's clean and sharp.

vv83

Is Dolby Vision buggy for anyone else using a Shield tv? When I first setup it wouldnt even display. I could hear audio when playing a DV movie but no display. Maybe a HDMI handshake issue I eventually got it to display but it will randomly kick me off after playing for a few minutes sometimes too.

edit: turned everything off for an hour and came back and tried to watch dolby vision Netflix movie. Back to the original issue, audio will be playing but no display, just a black screen. Has anyone had this issue? I'm running premium HDMI cables and didn't have this issue with the same cables on my Denon. Using a Shield for Netflix, plugged directly into the V6A. V6A plugged into HDMI 2 eARC on LG B9. HD and Ultra HD4k labeled movies work with no issue, only Dobly Vision. Thank you
Was able to get my Xbox connected and confirmed Dolby vision working correctly playing Netflix. So it seems the issue is with the Shield tv. Odd as it worked flawlessly with my Denon. Should I raise this issue to Shield or Yamaha? Not sure who would be able to help me correct it. Has anyone else tried playing Dolby vision content from Netflix on a shield and had trouble?

whitehart

No, but one would assume that a TV compliant with ALLM would automatically invoke its Game mode if the signal being conveyed to it is inclusive of the associated metadata? This mode disengages all video processing that would otherwise cause a lag, delay or latency.

"Auto Low Latency Mode" (ALLM) is a HDMI feature defined in HDMI 2.1 that allows a source such as a gaming console to direct all compatible components in the HDMI chain (e.g. AV-Receiver and TV sets) to enter its low-latency mode automatically without requiring the user to navigate a menu to set the optimal latency for their content. This allows the picture to be displayed with least possible delay which is desirable when gaming.

Displays using ALLM will reduce their motion compensation and picture processing etc. to minimise delays before presenting the information onscreen, making the gaming experience feel more responsive.

Compatible AVRs should disable the following functions as same as Game mode in the conventional video mode setting when the ALLM mode is enable at HDMI input signal to achieve a lower latency:
  • Picture Adjust
  • Scaling
  • Audio Delay adjustments and auto Lip Sync adjustments

The other features although associated with games, do not necessarily need or require the games mode to be engaged. All you'd need is a TV that is equipped to exploit these features.
Thats good as im not a fan of CEC let alone the TV and console being switched on accidently and everything being switched over to blimming game mode and having to switch it back lol

whitehart

still not seeing any banding issues on firmware 1.23. however time to time on standby the AVR isnt switching HDMI channel - fix to switch it on and off again and it seems to "cure" it

Last edited:

NSBulk

The Dolby Vision banding was apparent last night, but now it's not there with the Apple TV or my Oppo. Don't ask me to explain that. I'll keep an eye on it.

NSBulk

I haven't done the final set up yet as I'm moving some furniture around and changing some wires this weekend, but upon setting up my RX-V6A, I did set the mic on a tripod and ran YPAO (single version). I'll do the full RSC once the furniture is back in place and the new wires are installed.

This Yamaha is replacing a 10 year old Yamaha, so I have experience with YPAO. In fact my dad owned the first Yamaha receiver to use this technology and it immediately solved a phase problem he had in his set up prior to the new gear.

Anyway, I was just going through the settings and checked what YPAO did with my quick set up the other day. It completely goofed on the surround channels in a way I've never experienced before. Both are a little over 6 feet from the listening position, but YPAO set one at over 11 feet away and the other at over 23 feet away! I've since corrected that. When I run RSC this weekend I'll see if it duplicates that error.

jhalpinjr

Standard Member
Just did my initial setup tonight (RX-V) so far so good.
Just ran some the YPAO and it went OK. Haven't done much testing. User manual is online only, not included. I can see why- its 385 pages of mostly trash- horribly organized. Also doesn't actually explain some key features well, such as what all the letter mean on the LCD- it has some explanation but not much. If you are new to Yamaha (I am) its confusing. Same with Scenes.

But I digress- the look is modern, professional. looks great. The smell though from opening it in the box did give a large wiff of burnt windings or such. Anyone else notice this?

But alas, to my main Question- Does anyone know when the HDMI 2.1 Firmware is going to be released? Also which three HDMI inputs will support it? (I assume 1, 2 and 3) I'm using this receiver mostly as a gamer to overcome the Samsung TV limitation of 1 HDMI 2.1 port :)

NSBulk

Does anyone know when the HDMI 2.1 Firmware is going to be released? Also which three HDMI inputs will support it? (I assume 1, 2 and 3) I'm using this receiver mostly as a gamer to overcome the Samsung TV limitation of 1 HDMI 2.1 port :)
I don't think anyone has committed to a date, but I would think the plan is for by the end of the year.

RolandKSP

I have a general newbie question. This receiver (v6a) is 7.2 but when I look at the Atmos specs its 5.1.2. What happens to the second subwoofer output? Is it disabled or is it actually 5.2.2?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have a general newbie question. This receiver (v6a) is 7.2 but when I look at the Atmos specs its 5.1.2. What happens to the second subwoofer output? Is it disabled or is it actually 5.2.2?

There's no such thing as a second discrete LFE channel and multichannel content inclusive of an LFE channel will only include a single mono channel irrespective of whether it is Atmos or not.

While these receiver do have 2 sub pre outsa, the same main LFE and sub channel is simply split between those outputs. You don't get independant EQ and levelling for multiplr subs on this level of receiver. Some higher tier models will EQ and level 2 subs independantly of one anothe, but on lower tier models the output from both pre outs will be measured as one when performing the YPAO calibration and you'll only have one set of manual configurations for the subwoofer in the configurations.

Armos only has a single mono LFE channel the same as other multichannel formats.

The second output is simply a mirror of the main output and is there to enable a user to more easilly connect more than one sub. The audio portrayed by each of these sub's is the same audio.

Last edited:

Dunners

Anyway, I was just going through the settings and checked what YPAO did with my quick set up the other day. It completely goofed on the surround channels in a way I've never experienced before. Both are a little over 6 feet from the listening position, but YPAO set one at over 11 feet away and the other at over 23 feet away! I've since corrected that. When I run RSC this weekend I'll see if it duplicates that error.
Keep in mind that YPAO's distance setting is based on how long it takes sound to arrive from your speakers to the listening position as Yamaha know what the speed of sound - it's not actually measuring the distance as such.
So what the measurement might be showing is that you're getting measurements based on reflections within the room.

As you can save 2 x different speaker patterns, copy the original settings to the second pattern, then tweak them to what you think they should be - and compare the two different results.
What one should you go with?
The one that sounds the best to your ears.

MaSc

As you can save 2 x different speaker patterns, copy the original settings to the second pattern, then tweak them to what you think they should be - and compare the two different results.
For the V6 and V4 you can't save two speaker settings unfortunately. Or I am blind and have not figure it out how to do that.

dante01

Distinguished Member
For the V6 and V4 you can't save two speaker settings unfortunately. Or I am blind and have not figure it out how to do that.
The ability to save a second configuration is a feature that you only get onboard the high end Aventage models from Yamaha. THe RXV models have no such ability.

MaSc

The ability to save a second configuration is a feature that you only get onboard the high end Aventage models from Yamaha. The RXV models have no such ability.
Thanks for the confirmation, then I got it right. Would be a neat feature since my gaming and watching a movie position are 3m away. But I did not want to spend more than 1000 bucks.

jhalpinjr

Standard Member
Hey all,

Newbie question again- How can I tell if the receiver is decoding the input source as encoded by the content creator? For example- I am using eARC from my Samsumg Q90T to the RX-V6A- I have Atmos enabled in the TV- Where do I see how the receiver is decoding? if I hit the options button on the controller and look at the sound input those are all just blank with dashes. I see you can set the field to "DSur" but that doesn't tell me its actually getting Atmos.

I'm sorry all being new to Yammy after being a Onkyo guy, its hard for me to understand the nuances and interface of this new sexy beast from Yammy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

NAD Launches CI 16-60 DSP Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett