Yamaha RX-V4A, RX-V6A, and RX-A2A - Free board replacement for 4K / 120Hz issue

MrSpark

Established Member
Reaction score
Yamaha Audio Japan have just announced a program to offer free board replacements for the RX-V4A, RX-V6A, and RX-A2A, where a customer requires 4K / 120Hz compatibility.

Hopefully this will be rolled out to other territories and also its good news for the RX-A4A, RX-A6A & RX-A8A and 4K / 120Hz compatibility. i.e. its fixable via a firmware update.

Google translation:
We would like to express our sincere gratitude for your continued patronage of Yamaha products.

Regarding the AV receivers "RX-V4A", "RX-V6A", and "RX-A2A" released in 2020 and 2021, support for 4K / 120Hz input / output, which is the latest HDMI 2.1 function, in future updates. ... is my plans. However, in the 4K / 120Hz signal from the next-generation game machine Xbox Series X and the graphic board NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series, the problem that video and audio are not output when inputting to the AV receiver became clear, and in order to deal with these It turns out that the hardware needs to be replaced.

For customers who enjoy 4K / 120Hz input / output by connecting to Xbox Series X and NVIDIA GeForce RTX30 series​

We are planning to support free board replacement for customers using the target AV receiver. This allows you to connect to problematic devices and enjoy 4K / 120Hz signal images. This board replacement will be carried out free of charge for 24 months from the start month. Details such as how to apply will be announced on this website around September 2021.
Customers who do not use the Xbox Series X or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series for 4K / 120Hz video signals do not need to replace the board. The AV receiver targeted this time currently supports 4K / 60Hz HDR signals, so it can be used as usual on many game devices. In addition, the target AV receiver is compatible with eARC. You can enjoy 4K / 120Hz video by directly connecting the TV and the source device and outputting the audio signal to the AV receiver with eARC.
In addition, the AV receivers "RX-A4A", "RX-A6A", and "RX-A8A" announced on May 13, 2021 do not have this problem, so there is no need to replace the board and future firmware updates. You can enjoy HDMI 2.1 standard video only.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused to customers using this target device and combination, and we appreciate your understanding.

interesting, wish it was a bit sooner - think i will still flog my RX-V6A for another Yamaha though

Not sure why the translation is required? This is not new news and was announced on Yamaha's US site on Friday.

🙄
Not sure why the translation is required? This is not new news and was announced on Yamaha's US site on Friday.

Hopefully this will be rolled out to other territories and also its good news for the RX-A4A, RX-A6A & RX-A8A and 4K / 120Hz compatibility. i.e. its fixable via a firmware update.

No, it isn't fixable via a firmware revision.

Yamaha:
A future hardware update is required on the above AV receivers for customers who plan to connect Xbox Series X or NVIDIA RTX30 at 4K/120Hz to these select AV receivers.

The fix will require the HDMI board to be replaced. The new board will incorporate a different HDMI version 2.1 chipset that isn't effected by the issues that are effecting the current chipset relative to the conveyance of 4K/120Hz video.

Expect the scheme intended to update the effected models to begin no sooner than September. It will be available for 2 years from the date they commence with the update board replacenent scheme.

Last edited:
Better! Thanks for clearing that up
No, it isn't fixable via a firmware revision.

Yamaha:

The fix will require the HDMI board to be replaced. The new board will incorporate a different HDMI version 2.1 chipset that isn't effected by the issues that are effecting the current chipset relative to the conveyance of 4K/120Hz video.

Expect the scheme intended to update the effected models to begin no sooner than September. It will beavailable for 2 years from the date they comence with the update board replacenent scheme.

Sounds like a massive faff to me, especially if we have to send the AV in for repair, as nobody keeps boxes any more. (I know some people do but I can't, small flat, and disabled. Boxes would get in the way of my crutches and wheelchair) I don't get why they couldn't go down the same route as Denon and Marantz with the adapter.

Most Denon owners would prefer that Denon did what Yamaha are doing as opposed to resorting to an external adaptor. No one actually knows what the adaptor does, whether it modifies the video signal or whether it will add latency and a delay to that signal? A complete board replacement with a new chipset isn't going to result in added latency, the additional box or require it own power supply. The AV receiver will be in fact as ir was advertised and you'd not know the difference unless somone told you.

There's no advantage to using the kind of external adaptor Sound United are pushing when compared to replacing the HDMI board and chipset onboard the AVR itself. If anything, there could be disadvantages associated with such external adaptors.

Last edited:
does anyone know if the replacement chipset board for the RX-V6A etc will run at 40gbps or at the slower speeds?

does anyone know if the replacement chipset board for the RX-V6A etc will run at 40gbps or at the slower speeds?

Yamaha have never indicated the bandwidth of the original chipset and neither have they declared what the banwidth of the replacement is or will be. Try asking them directly. They may be a bit more forthcoming with such information now that they've officially announced their intentions?

Yamaha have never indicated the bandwidth of the original chipset and neither have they declared what the banwidth of the replacement is or will be. Try asking them directly. They may be a bit more forthcoming with such information now that they've officially announced their intentions?
I will once they have contacted me with regards to the swap out thanks, the general consensus was that the original bandwidth was less than 40gbps and the new AVR's coming out will be 40gbps so im hoping the swap out will use a simliar cct

It is the same as what Yamaha had previously posted on their US site.

Also worth emphasising to current owners:

• Be sure to register your product to be notified of next steps and receive direct communication about the update program.

Last edited:
Completely pointless ....

Yamaha should get an absolute drubbing over this, what a complete mess.
Disappointing…mine’s still boxed as the room it’s going in is still being finished. Tempted to send back or now run extra hdmi cables up the wall to the TV while I still can and use eARC. Was deciding between an LG C1 and a Sony A80J but will likely now go with the LG on account of the additional HDMI 2.1 sockets….

Sorry - couldn't resist cross-posting this important announcement, also from Yamaha. I think:

ATTENTION

Yamaha have just released an update from their Sirius Cybernetics Corporation marketing department:

"Because we purposed to avoid inconvenient truth of HDMI path, and in the interests of not inconveniencing our valued customers we are making the most transparent promises for our receivers. You will one day soon be experiencing for her pleasure a fully compatible HDMI 2.1 product with our new proprietary but fully compliant "16K/144C" standard. The "C" means that we are "Carrying-on Regardless And Pulling a fast one" (or CRAP). We will be releasing a firmware update sometime this century to fully enable this limited feature set for make best happy our loyal customer.

Our engineers know that HDMI 2.1 is important, which is why we have designed our specifications for the full 2.1Gbps bandwidth as mentioned itself in the name of the new port. This is what our engineers have understood HDMI "2.1" to mean. By using futuristic compression which will be invented next century, you will be able to pass a black and white video signal (the full range of infinite contrast) and a "mighty original noise output" (MONO) audio signal. Please ensure your other devices have the necessary DSC (Don't Sue our Company) future feature.

So, you can see we've recognized as no problem. However, we've found that it might lack politeness. Now, we're under considering to show an additional information on our website.

We will also provide a 5000-page detailed specification manual in Sanskrit to make clear our technical approach for being to you fully transparent. You can find this in the locked display cabinet in the cellar down the broken stairs. Take a flashlight, and beware of the leopard."

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom