1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V496 RDS with no pre output

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chapar, Apr 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. chapar

chapar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to connect my Yamaha RX-V496 RDS AV Reciever to my Arcam A85 Integrated Stereo Amp. Therefore I want to have one system for Stereo & Home Theatre.

However, Yamaha V496 does not have a pre output, which make this integration not possible.

Does anyone has an alternative soluiton for that? The first thing comes to my mind is to use the speaker outputs of Yamaha and one available input in Arcam. Not sure if it works. And also not sure tha power output differences between two amps would create problems. (Yamaha 100 watt/ 8 ohms, Arcam 85 watts/8 ohms)

I would be grateful if someone can help me.

2. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry, there is a solution!

I have used this method several times with good results & a v low noisefloor!

Make a "T" Pad up with high resistance values and all should work well.
    You will need to be (or know someone who is) fairly handy with a soldering iron and have a grasp of basic electronics.

The following link will explain it far better than me @ this time of night...

http://www.termpro.com/articles/faders.html

Ready built versions can be found but I would make one up.
    It can be soldered onto the end of some speaker cable and should not cost more than £5 all up!

The gain can be adjusted with the resistor values if you want, but start with the values given on the website and adjust the levels with the Yamaha.

You can leave one of these leads hooked up permanently as it presents the amp with an impedance of about 40,000 ohms = about 0.0025WATTS (That Yamaha aint gonna notice that)!!!

A "T" pad is prefered as it ensures a goof proof solution.
    An "L" pad would work but could cause problems on some amps or if the polarity is wrong on one cable.

T and L are the shapes of circuit for visualisation...

HTH

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the Circuit I used on a mates RXV520RDS and a Quad Power amp!

Works a treat, although you will have to set Main Level to -10db on the Yamaha (should have a main level option).

Over 'n out

Attached Files:

4. chapar

chapar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wookie, thanks very much for the tip.

Unfortunately i am lame with all these circuit formulas and terminology. Could you please at least tell me which of the titles (in the link that you have sent) I should apply?

I would like to connect my Yamaha to an Arcam A85 integrated.I will still use only Arcam for stereo. And for home theatre, Arcam will drive the front spekears (which is also the main stereo speakers) and Yamaha will drive the rest.