Yamaha RX-V477 upgrade

DavesReef

Novice Member
Reaction score
hey all,

I have a yamaha rx-v477 receiver. I finally will be upgrading to a 4K tv. My question is will my receiver be next to no good for this? I have read that it has 4K passthrough but will it be any good or should i upgrade?

cheers,

Your receiver predates HDMI version 2.0 so wont include HDCP 2.2 compliance. Almost all commercial UHD video requires HDCP 2.2 compliance so you would unfortunately need a newer receiver with such compliance if wanting to passthrough such content.

There are ways to avoid passing the UHD video through non compliant AV receivers such as utilising the second HDMI output on a UHD player to convey the HD audio to older AV receivers while using the main output to output the UHD HDCP 2.2 encoded video to a compliant display.

What else do you want from a new receiver? Would you be interested in more than just a 5.1 setup and or Atmos for example?

Thanks for your reply. I will look into a new one then.I will probably keep it 5.1 as my living room isn’t that large unfortunately
Thanks

Something like the Yamaha RXV485 would suffice then and this would be the comarative current model to your RXV477. The RXV485 retails for about £300.

It is worth mentioning that you could actually just add ceiling speakers, upward firing or height speakers to an existing 5.1 setup and you'd not need a larger room in order to get Atmos. It would however need at least a 7 channel receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom