Question Yamaha RX-V477: No volume control on digital input source?

confusedracoon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have the strong suspicion that this is going to turn out to be a very stupid question, but let's go.

I have digital audio source (incidentally, a Hifiberry Digi, but it shouldn't matter) connected via optical cable to the AV receiver. I can play back audio but the receiver's volume control does not work, the volume is fixed, I can't even use the mute button.

And, well, this is extremely surprising for two reasons:

- This is actually the recommended way to hook up digital audio sources such as CD players.
- The input volume of these sources when using an optical cable is typically fixed. So if I connected a CD player this way I wouldn't be able to control volume on the CD player and, apparently, I can't control it in the AV receiver either, this can't be right.

Incidentally, I can control the volume at the source via software in my case, this is a raspberry pi, but that's not practical in my setup.

I've checked the receiver's manual, and I have tried changing all of the sound processing options I could find in the receiver's menus.

And now I'm sure someone will offer a very simple explanation here.

Thanks in advance.

I don't thi k it's a stupid question. That's definitely not normal behaviour, I've connected so many digital devices to quite a few different amps and never had this as an issue.

Have you tried any other sources into the same input?

- This is actually the recommended way to hook up digital audio sources such as CD players.
- The input volume of these sources when using an optical cable is typically fixed. So if I connected a CD player this way I wouldn't be able to control volume on the CD player and, apparently, I can't control it in the AV receiver either, this can't be right.
It isn't right, it's badly wrong. You need to get your AVR serviced.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom