Yamaha RX-V467 - Adjusting Separate Channel EQ

ENIGMAMACHINE

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang

I'm an older Yamaha person - just picked up a mint condition RX-V467. Please bear with me as I scroll through the extensive manual. Wondering how/if I can separately adjust the EQ on the mains; (the 2 front channels), and the center channel independently of the other channels? I'm a little confused as it appears the only way to get output to the rear channels is if I specifically select "7 Channel Enhancer" - Is this just an arbitrary term? Because physically there are outputs for only 5 Channels (as in a standard 5.1 set up). Yes there are 'Pre-Sets' for overall tonal adjustment but I'd like to adjust the EQ manually for just the 2 front channels and the Center Channel. I used to be able to do that on my older Yamaha HTR-5835. Thanx for your patience ...

The RXV467 is only a 5 channel AV receiver and as such you cannot have back surrounds or more than 5 passive speakers within a setup.

You'd need to engaging a Surround DEcoder upmixing mode or use one of the receiver DSP Programs to upmix 2 channek sources to utilise all of the speakers present. Sur, Docoding upmixing modes such as Pro Logic IIx, or Pro LOgic Music would create pseudo surround channelsfor the other speakers. There's also a Neo:6 and Neo:6 Music option that would also have the same effect. If you simply want the same stereo audio to be portrayed as opposed to pseudo surround via all the speakers then use the receiver's 7ch Stereo mode. THis will portray the same stereo soundtrack via both the front and the rear speakers as well as a mono representation of it via the centre speaker.

If you need guidance on the DSP Programs (Sound Field Programs) then look on page 32 in the manual. You'll also find descriptions of the various upmixing modes shown on page 33 f the manual.

See page 51-52 of the (pdf) manual titled “Adjusting sound quality with equaliser”. Looks like you can adjust channels independently.

Last edited:
I have the rx-v667 which is 7ch but hopefully the same applies

Under setup, speaker, manual setup, paramertic eq, make sure PEQ Select is set to manual. You will then find the Front L, Front R, Center, Surround L, Surround R, Surround back L, surround back R, front presence L, front presence R are individually configurable.

Note the last 4 depend on avr model and config.

See page 51 of the (pdf) manual titled “Adjusting sound quality with equaliser”. Looks like you can adjust channels independently.

Those are mainly soeaker levels and distance configurations and not EQ settings.

If wishing to mess with the Parametric EQ curves then you'll more specixally need to adjust those curves using the GEO option relative to the EQ- SELECT setting. The EQ bands can be adjusted if you choose the GEO option. I however think the options a=vailable will be universal as opposed to relative to individual speakers on this era of Yamaha AV receiver? They were still at the "one size fits all" stage of development back then and relative to this level of receiver.

Those are mainly soeaker levels and distance configurations and not EQ settings.

If wishing to mess with the Parametric EQ curves then you'll more specixally need to adjust those curves using the GEO option relative to the EQ- SELECT setting. The EQ bands can be adjusted if you choose the GEO option. I however think the options a=vailable will be universal as opposed to relative to individual speakers on this era of Yamaha AV receiver? They were still at the "one size fits all" stage of development back then and relative to this level of receiver.

See my post above yours which might also apply. Theirs might be too old like you say though :)

Under setup, speaker, manual setup, paramertic eq, make sure PEQ Select is set to manual. You will then find the Front L, Front R, Center, Surround L, Surround R, Surround back L, surround back R, front presence L, front presence R are individually configurable.

Note the last 4 depend on avr model and config.

As I've previously indicated, this model is a 5 channel model. It cannot have either presencespeakers or back surrounds within any setup. It is limited to a 5.1 setup max consisting of:
  • A lft and Right front speaker
  • A centre speaker
  • 2 surrounds
  • An active subwoofer.

See my post above yours which might also apply. Theirs might be too old like you say though :)

The V467 has no option to copy PEQ curves into the GEO manual settings or indeed any option to actually select what type of PEQ curve is employed. You only get the option to use PEQ, use GEO (manual) and to turn the equaliser completely off.

As I've previously indicated, this model is a 5 channel model. It cannot have either presencespeakers or back surrounds within any setup. It is limited to a 5.1 setup max consisting of:
  • A lft and Right front speaker
  • A centre speaker
  • 2 surrounds
  • An active subwoofer.

He asked two questions. One about 7ch which I didn't answer and one about adjusting eq on individual speakers which I answered on the basis of the 467 and 667 hopefully sharing setup

I also conditioned my answer that the last 4 might not be present depending on model. I.e. rx-v467 being 5.1

So what exactly did I not cover off? :)

He hasn't your AV receiver and his hasn't the same PEQ options as you. :)

Accorfing to the above, you cann select individual channels and configure tham manually. So this addresses the omission in the manual as to whether or not this is possible.

When selecting “GEQ”​

1. Use the cursor keys to select “Channel” and to select the desired speaker channel.
  2. Use the cursor keys to select the desired band (frequency) and to adjust the gain.
  • Setting range
  • -6.0 dB to +6.0 dB
  • Press SETUP.

Last edited:
I did say at the start

You would hope being same model year they are similar but just have options greyed out but clearly Yamaha don't like to make things easy lol

Thanks everyone for the replies ... Yes I completely understand this is a 5.1 reciever (that's exactly why I purchased it). No question or doubt please ... I was confused by the prompt: "7 Channel Enhancer" Am I to understand this means/refers to '7 channel tonal presets'? Page 33 does not explain/illustrate whether its possible to individually adjust the EQ for the Center and L-R Channels. I would like to adjust those parameters + (and) - (or) Numerically, (if possible). And yes absolutely, Yamaha never makes anything easy. Meanwhile I'll check pages 51-52 (thank you unoduo) and everyone ..

Last edited:
Hi Again Dante - Nice To See You Again And Thank You :smashin:

Now I'm able to toggle through the frequencies which, (on this particular model reciever), appear to be within a SEVEN Band Eq - Correct?

16 kHz
6.3 kHz
2.5 kHz
1 kHz
400 Hz
160 Hz
63 Hz

And of course one can select/toggle and apply any changes to each of the FIVE speaker channels by remembering to select 'Set Up' to finalize and save any changes - Correct? Even an old time musician/tech guy like myself has a little trouble visualizing the 7 bands on a linear graph. Click on the crude pictorial (below), indicating I saved a slightly 'higher end' tonality. Assuming I was able to save this configuration for the two front mains and center channel does this appear to be done acceptably/correctly? Will this modification be applied to the "7 Channel Enhancer" or have I created a NEW and different program somewhere? Thanks again for your patience !

Higher End Configuration

:lesson:

Last edited:
Yes, correct. Those are the frequency bands that Yamaha give you the ability to modify or alter and yes, if you go into the receiver's "Equalizer" configurations and change the setting to either the PEQ, the GEQ or the OFF setting then this will be the setting used by the AV receiver. The only exception to this will be if enagaging the AV receiver's DIRECT mode. This would bypass both the PEQ and the GEQ configuration and effectively bypass and set the EQ setting to the OFF setting. If you disengage the DIRECT mode then you'd return the receiver to the EQ setting you'd set in the configurations and settings. Neither PEQ or GEQ are applicable in the AV receiver's DIRECT mode.

Last edited:
Thanks dante01! - And BTW can you tell me what the 'PEQ' setting/equalizer is? How does it compare to the GEQ Equalizer?

Thanks for your patience :thumbsup:

The Parametric Equaliser is an EQ curve correction done by the AV receiver when you do a YPAO calibration using the supplied mic. The AV receiver would alter the EQ taken relative to what should result in a flat response. It's the AV receiver's room EQ correction, but only if you've ran the calibration using the suppplied mic. GEQ is you nanually adjusting the EQ cirve while PEQ is the receiver doing it relative to what measurements it took.

PEQ curve options:
by default 2021-06-17 at 22.21.38.png

While FLAT would be the industry standard, the Yamaha receiver will use the NATURAL PEQ curve by default. This will result in a slighly softer sound, rolling off the higher frequencies. This can sound better in a home theatre setup where rooms are ordinarilly quite small. The FRONY option doesn't alter the EQ associated with the front left and right speakers and tries to EQ the other speakers so that they mimic the signature sound of the left and right speakers. THROUGH simply bypasses the PEQ altogether and leaves the EQ unchanged.

Last edited:
Hi Again dante - always appreciate a concise reply from you (thank you). 👍

Ok, now I remember reading about that calibration test. To me, (although generous of Yamaha), this feature seems a bit sophisticated for such a moderately priced reciever, (when it was new)? In any event (thank you), I'll trust my ears as I continue tweaking.

On a different note, do you guys also find it frustrating when a modern motion picture sound mix dampens the voice track (so ridiculously soft), you have to strain just to hear the dialogue? Only to be blown out of the water when those low frequenices come barreling in!

:facepalm:

Thanks dante!

It is up to you, but it is impossible to both EQ all the speakers to ensure that they sound the same at the same time as EQing them to account for abnormalities caused by your room's acoustics. This just isn't possible by ear. To do this correctly then measurements need to be taken in order to give you an indication of what needs attention. Making something sound as you'd like it is different to what room EQ correction would be addtressing.

Last edited:
Thanx millions Dante! :smashin: we really explored many aspects - and thank you for the excellent link on audio & room corrrection - I'll give the correction process some thought :lesson: unfortunately I'll need a little help with those steps ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom