Yamaha RX-V4600 or V2600 re: iLink?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tullamore, Nov 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Bit of a query here. Went to The What HiFi show yesterday.

A few things first for TV fans..The new Phillips is stunning. Only had the 32" not the 37" on display but astounding HDMI feeds. Want a 37" but only 3 metres from viewing position to TV so a bit worried abut that but bigger issue is...the amp.

Both the Yamahas look great. I picked up the new catalogue and following a cross check of spec the only real audio difference I can find is the dual iLink connections on the 4600. I asked the Yamaha guy about this and he said that the 2600 is more about the picture benefits versus superior sound on the 4600.

Two questions:

1. Is ilink that essential? I use a very expensive coax at present - and when I go HDMI for DVD a HDMI feed will give me the audio. I don't own or intend to own any SACD or DVD-Audio discs so what benefit does iLink bring?

2. Am I right about the similarity of the amps? The video upscaling etc is perfect for future proofing the TV connections and I can't see any justification other than ilink for the more expensive model.

Can any one help? Tx. Tullamore

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    iLink would be redundant for you, HDMI will take care of your sound duties and should be ok for dolby digital and dts. iLink may give you some fexibility when hi definition sound is available but that is speculative at best.

3. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Perfect. Thats that sorted. Now, like everyone else it seems, to figure out whether sonically the 2600 is up to the 4600.

Many thanks. T

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I suppose it depends what you are moving up from. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V650 so when I get the 2600 (as I intend to do next month) I am hoping that, even if it is not as sonically good as the 4600, it will still be better than the 650 I have now. Plus, I will have all the added video switching, scaling etc. features.

5. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm moving up from the Pioneer 812. It's been good for the last few years but it lacks some of the depth of other models I've listened too lately and is sounding more and more shrill to my ears. I'm second floor of a mansion block so have to take neighbours into account but the ideal setup will be..

Phillips 32 or 37PF9830
    Yamaha RV2600 (now ilink not essential) - can't justify spending the extra cash for something i'll never use.
    Either new Pioneer DVD DV989 or....??? Not sure to be honest but DVD quality is paramount.
    XBox 360 as it's DVI and I can plug it straight into the TV with optical for sound

and sticking with my Kef 2005.2 as speakers.

DVD and amp key as I mainly watch dvd's rather than TV so just trying to get the best picture and sound for about 4k all in.

Still stuck with my old Telewest box with an RGB squart and analogue cables but rumours are they will have a HD setup sooner than later.

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    The 360 Hi Def pack is componant not DVI.

7. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tx. Can still run thru amp or direct into TV i guess. Least of my problems. Getting the cash together bigger one.

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Tell me about it. Allthough, I was going to buy a new TV but the problem has been sorted for us so I now have a bit more cash to play with.....as long as I can sell the 650 I should be able to get the 2600 before Xmas ......hopefully :smashin:

Let's face it, with two HDMI inputs and thee componant inputs, I think most people will have enough there to be able to get whatever kit they have going through the amp and then being output either via the HDMI or componant out.