Yamaha RX-V396 Self Diagnosis

glenmorangie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Having a problem with an old Yamaha amp. When you run the self diagnosis and get to the first page is that the diagnosis running or do you need to press anything else to make it run ?

The reason I asked this question is it is an old Yamaha RX-396RDS. I'm trying to test with just 1 speaker, is that a problem, and a dvd player as the Input, I'm getting no audio either analog or coax, set to tuner, same. No fault displays show, tried diagnostics but don't see anything apparent .
Any good ideas ?

Last edited:
You cannot technically have a setup with just one speaker. You'd have to have at least both a front left and a right speaker.

Ensure that the terminals you've connected the speaker to are in association with speakers that are actually turned on within the AV receiver's speaker configurations. i.e. not set to NONE.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Two front speakers connectrd. Cannot find speaker configuration to check if NONE, is that in the Diagnostics

There woulds be no option to set the 2 fronts as none. As said, you cannot have a stup without the 2 front speakers.

Here is the answer to all, the unit is now working.
1) When using diagnostics, hold the 2 buttons as instructed and turn on the power, but, not in service manual, keep holding the 2 buttons for at least 5 seconds after the unit powers up. This will run the diagnostic program
2) Unit now working audio on all channels.
3) The unit will run for test with 1 front speaker only.

Perseverence is the answer !!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom