Yamaha RX-V3900 broke down?

mean-machine

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I bought my RX-V3900 in January. Never had any problems with it. Yesterday though it stopped reacting. I decided to restart it with mains off/on and it either stays on "MAIN ON" or it shows the model and stays on "Please wait". Does anyone know what it can be? Is it a known fault or something I can somehow "fix" or I should rather contact Yamaha and get it fixed/replaced?

I have found that a member of another forum had the same problem with his DSP-Z7 and his one failed just after 3 moths...

Hi,
I bought my RX-V3900 in January. Never had any problems with it. Yesterday though it stopped reacting. I decided to restart it with mains off/on and it either stays on "MAIN ON" or it shows the model and stays on "Please wait". Does anyone know what it can be? Is it a known fault or something I can somehow "fix" or I should rather contact Yamaha and get it fixed/replaced?

Before you go to a technician try to do un update via ethernet or usb. Is sounds like a software glitch. Hope it is not a hardware issue. Give it a try and let us know.
Good lack, Nick
PS Current software is 1.07

Unfortunately, it's not possible to upload a new firmware (it is currently on 1.05). It's not reacting to any button presses. Well, at least hughesdirect were very helpful and are sending a courier to pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully, will get it back within 2 weeks...

Hi guys,

Funnily enough this exact same problem happened to my 3900 this morning. Did anyone ever find out WHY it was happening? I don't really want to have to take my unit in if I can avoid it......

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
AJ

Chips fail and I suspect it's just one of those things.
I can't see how you're going to avoid sending it back :(

Chips fail and I suspect it's just one of those things.
I can't see how you're going to avoid sending it back :(

That's exactly what the sales guy said. Very uncommon however it CAN happen. Looks like I may have to drop it off tomorrow. Thankfully they aren't too far from me. Thanks for your input mate. Will keep you guys updated.

Cheers
AJ

Definitely not perfect, Just got my Z11 back after 5 weeks. Had to get a completely new DSP board after it stopped producing any sound whatsoever.

Definitely not perfect, Just got my Z11 back after 5 weeks. Had to get a completely new DSP board after it stopped producing any sound whatsoever.

Wow thackl, that's just wrong. That Z11 looks sooo freaking hot though. Glad to hear they fixed it, but still, for that kind of money it should damn well be BETTER than perfect. QC has well and truly gone down the drain in recent times.

So I dropped the 3900 off this morning. They'll "let me know" by the end of next week "hopefully" what's happening. Jeeez. Not completely happy with Yamaha at the moment. My contact reckons that my 3900 is the first one that's come back with a problem since they went on sale. Cold comfort mate. I'm music-less (and more importantly quality reduced without it. Amazing how much that up-scale works (in terms of foxtel).

Wow thackl, that's just wrong. That Z11 looks sooo freaking hot though. Glad to hear they fixed it, but still, for that kind of money it should damn well be BETTER than perfect. QC has well and truly gone down the drain in recent times.

So I dropped the 3900 off this morning. They'll "let me know" by the end of next week "hopefully" what's happening. Jeeez. Not completely happy with Yamaha at the moment. My contact reckons that my 3900 is the first one that's come back with a problem since they went on sale. Cold comfort mate. I'm music-less (and more importantly quality reduced without it. Amazing how much that up-scale works (in terms of foxtel).

I don't want to scare you, seing that you are in Sydney as well, but mine is still an ongoing story. The Z11 had to go to YAMAHA in Melbourne as that's the only place where they do Z11s. It came back minus an additional box I had put on top inside the carton for protection with a note to 'please return' as it is part of the original packaging. There were sticky tape patches on the top and the front panel door damaged so it wouldn't stay closed anymore. Have it now in a YAMAHA workshop in Sydney to have the door fixed. (Still have my old Z1 to tie me over but there is no comparison in sound)

I dealt with YAMAHA directly and the AV product manager, who I was in contact with due to some issues with the Receiver Manager anyway, was excellent and very helpful throughout the entire story. The workshop in Melbourne however will need to lift their game though I think.

Hope your's can be fixed locally

Cheers
Tom

I don't want to scare you, seing that you are in Sydney as well, but mine is still an ongoing story. The Z11 had to go to YAMAHA in Melbourne as that's the only place where they do Z11s. It came back minus an additional box I had put on top inside the carton for protection with a note to 'please return' as it is part of the original packaging. There were sticky tape patches on the top and the front panel door damaged so it wouldn't stay closed anymore. Have it now in a YAMAHA workshop in Sydney to have the door fixed. (Still have my old Z1 to tie me over but there is no comparison in sound)

I dealt with YAMAHA directly and the AV product manager, who I was in contact with due to some issues with the Receiver Manager anyway, was excellent and very helpful throughout the entire story. The workshop in Melbourne however will need to lift their game though I think.

Hope your's can be fixed locally

Cheers
Tom

Hi Tom

I'm sad to say that your story doesn't surprise me. I purchased Nikon's top end SLR last year and I had to personally take it to Nikon's Lidocombe repair centre 3 TIMES. The first time I delivered it [and subsequently said it was fixed] they hadn't even touched it. "High End" is a bit of a misnomer these days.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Cheers
AJ

Update: the Yamaha (Sydney) techs are “looking at it”. Should have a firmer story tomorrow apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
what the heck were the moths doing ?? have to put up a net around my amp :eek:

I have found that a member of another forum had the same problem with his DSP-Z7 and his one failed just after 3 moths...

UPDATE:

Yamaha (Sydney) have pulled the amp apart and are checking ALL boards/circuits, DTS modules and of course the power supply. They are also supposedly liaising with Yammie Melbourne on a couple of things.......(????)

Should have final result/answer Monday or Tuesday.
The "story" is they don't want to replace the obvious cause of the problem and risk that this will happen again.......

Also, because of the "high end" nature of the product they are curious themselves as to what would cause it to blow this quickly into its life. :rotfl:

Cheers and expect an update on mon/tues.
AJ

Update: 22 July, 2009

So......Yamaha have advised that the CPU is toast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't CPUs a pretty robust piece of equipment??? :eek:

Anyway, we can discuss Yamaha's reputation for weeks......

Short story: 3-5 days to get a new CPU in. Which isn't too bad.

Stay tuned.

Cheers
AJ

Update: 22 July, 2009

So......Yamaha have advised that the CPU is toast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't CPUs a pretty robust piece of equipment??? :eek:

The exact opposite. They are very vulnerable to electrical discharges, spikes and power surges.

The exact opposite. They are very vulnerable to electrical discharges, spikes and power surges.

Wow, okay thanks for that dante - however I do have an uber power board [belkin] which is supposed to protect equipment (from that exact sort of problem], or so I thought...... :(

UPDATE: 29th July.....

Parts were supposed to have arrived this week and haven't. Yammie Sydney is chasing Melbourne up for 'em.

Of note is that the chips which failed are being replaced with a different sort - Yamaha found the originals to be insufficient for the 3900's requirements.

And no, I don't know what this means for existing "older chipped" 3900s. I'd say nothing.

Could even be smoke and mirrors, but then, I'm jaded.....:rotfl:

UPDATE 4TH AUG:

Part has arrived - hooray. :D
Part to be fitted.

Shop where purchased will do a "shake out" test prior to delivery to me, which should be this Thursday/Friday. :smashin:

Gosh what drama!

How about just replacing the unit entirely for a brand new one?

Times must be hard for Yamaha.

I’m extremely disappointed of course, however, I shall merely vote with my wallet for the next purchase, which *was* going to be a Z11…

Yeah, got away from the whole reciever merry-go-round a while ago and haven't looked back. With seperates of course, one of many advantages is if one component fails it isn't a total loss.

Yeah, got away from the whole reciever merry-go-round a while ago and haven't looked back. With seperates of course, one of many advantages is if one component fails it isn't a total loss.

G’day Mission

That could well be the way going forward.

It certainly won’t be Yamaha though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom