• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Yamaha RX-V3900 audio from iMac 3.5" port volume low

big ale

Novice Member
I'm using my old iMac 20" as my Spotify source. Then, using my phone as a remote. The iMac is then connected to the Yamaha RX-V3900 via the "CD" co-axial inputs.

This input is then directed to Zone 3, which is a pair of Bose outdoor speakers so that I can have music in my outdoor patio.

My problem is that the sound that is coming through is quite low. Even at maximum volumes, the sounds coming out is barely louder than conversation volume.

Using other input sources, such as "Net radio" and "tuner" works with much lower volume levels e.g. -45.0 dB

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

xmb

Prominent Member
What volume level is set if you go into System Preferences > Sound and select the Output item?

big ale

Novice Member
Hi, on the mac, the volume for Output is at the maximum (i.e. on the furthest right). In fact, when the 3.5" plug is in, the setting changes to "headphones".

xmb

Prominent Member
If you plug headphones into the iMac is the sound level OK? Given this is a high level output it should be giving plenty of signal to your receiver. Are you sure the cable is OK and the RCA plugs not damaged? Is the low sound level also present when you select zone 1?

Have you tried using an optical cable from your iMac (3.5mm output) to an optical input of your receiver?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom