Yamaha RX-V385 YPAO mic placement without stand or tripod

Mooky78

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just bought a used Yamaha RX-V385 receiver online as an upgrade to my older Yamaha receiver. Ordered the YPAO mic from someone else, since the seller didn't have one with the receiver. I don't have a mic stand or tripod for the mic and wanted to know what else I could use to place it ear level behind the couch. I'm thinking maybe to just manually set the speakers up with the same settings my receiver I have now has. Still wanted to try the YPAO out. Never used it before. Thanks in advance for the help.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You'd be best advised to locate the mic where you'd ordinarilly be sat while using the setup as opposed to placing it behind and away from where your location will be. Many use a stand that accomodate a mic boom and this makes it easier to locate the mic where you'd be sat and at your seated head height.

Amazon product ASIN B00NW7MT5C
by default 2022-04-17 at 14.40.57.png

This little gizmo is also quite handy, but not cheap:

Amazon product ASIN B00850I5SG
by default 2022-04-17 at 14.34.53.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check out the US site. I thought if I used the tripod just behind the couch, mic should be at ear level where I sit. Maybe I can get it to stand on the couch?? Even thought about setting it up right in front of it, but not sure.

Thanks. I'll have to check out the US site. I thought if I used the tripod just behind the couch, mic should be at ear level where I sit. Maybe I can get it to stand on the couch?? Even thought about setting it up in front of it, but not sure. Can get the tripod cheap.

Buy a mic stand with a boom as opposed to using a camera stand. The boom will make it a lot easier to locate the mic where your head would be while sat.

See here:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/audyssey-boom-mic-stand-under-ÂŁ10.2173823/

Last edited:
That's UK linkage. I'll hafta check out Amazon US. Not sure if I want to spend that much. Tripod is cheaper

The adaptor isn't strictly speaking a necessity. The mic stand and boom are the main comcern and you'd be able to pick these up quite cheaply regardless where you are shopping from.

The boom arm element makes it far easier to locate the mic where your head would be while seated.

The adaptor isn't strictly speaking a necessity. The mic stand and boom are the main comcern and you'd be able to pick these up quite cheaply regardless where you are shopping from.

The boom arm element makes it far easier to locate the mic where your head would be while seated.
How about this one? How do you attach the mic without the extra attachment and just the mic clip?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220417-102913_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220417-102913_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
You can basically tape it to the boom arm it you've nor the adaptor or a spring clip type mic holder.

Adjust the mic holder so that you can tape it to it. I'd suggest using two pieces of tape, one to either side of the mic so as not to cover the actual mic itself. Isuggest using the mic holder because this would allow you to orientate the mic and adjust the angle it is at.

Spring clip holders are better because you can hold the mic with them without any need for tape.

Adjust the mic holder so that you can tape it to it. I'd suggest using two pieces of tape, one to either side of the mic so as not to cover the actual mic itself. Isuggest using the mic holder because this would allow you to orientate the mic and adjust the angle it is at.

Spring clip holders are better because you can hold the mic with them without any need for tape.
Thanks. Might hafta just try the tape method if I go mic stand route.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom