YAMAHA RX-V385 / RX-V485 / RX-585 / RX-685 Owners Thread.

mclingo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
i've just bought one of these, havent got it home and installed it yet, hit me up if you have any advice for a new user.

Im looking at the 685 to replace a RXV381 as fancy Dolby Vision in the hope the ps5 has it :) and it has preouts for the front L & R so i can plug into my integrated amp, whilst it has more power to boot and allows for atmos (think i can get away with front upfirers). Just trying to decide if its worth it, as its a decent price (430) and thinking of trading mine in at peter tysons but cant imagine I'll get much for it.

Would love to hear some views of the 685 from people on here.

Got mine setup last night, just basic setup for now, will do the full setup at the weekend, very impressed so far, ALEXA works very and this is the first time i've had an amp with scenes, this is a great feature.

I dont like the fact the PSU is welted but at this price I can live with that.

Last edited:
HI, does anyone know if you can use the cast option to have wireless speakers in conjunction with wired ones?, i'd like to add a second pair of ATMOS heights but I can get cable to them easily without making a crap load of mess.

@mclingo what model did you get? As they all should have banana plugs for front L and R as minimum. You just have to pop the little inserts out for them to accept a banana plug.

If its got musiccast then you should be able to use musiccast speakers for wireless atmos provided the amp can process a sufficient amount of channels.

Hi, I thought they were non banana outs, havent seen these type before, i'm used to fatter ones, I'm guessing the ends pop out, i'll try when I get home - mine is the RX-685.

What I'm asking about the musiccast, to play movies, I currently have 5.1.2 wired speakers (pair of wired ATMOS front heights), can I add rear ATMOS via musiccast, can you mix wireless and wired speakers in the same setup?

Nice, thats the one I'm interested in. Yes the ends do pop out to accept a plug, you will need something small to get them out, e.g. a paper clip.

The music cast speakers will allow for use in surround, but I'm sure it would still be limited to a max of 7 channels. so you could use 5 wired and 2 wireless from the looks of it, but you couldn't have 7 wired and 2 wireless as i think it is only designed for 7 channels plus subs. Would love to be proven wrong though, as that would be a cool feature.

that would be amazing if its possible, I cant see anything in the settings to allow this though, i'll have a good dig around this weekend.

looks like wireless surrounds are not possible with the cheaper MusicCast WX-010, these can only be paired and used as stereo speakers in a stereo setup, wont work in any sort of surround setup according to yamahas own FAQs. These cost around £60 each so would be a really good cheap way to get wireless surrounds. :(

It can only be done with the WX-021, difference in price is huge, not really affordable for me, these are £180 each, i'll start looking out for some used units.

yamaha are sly buggers...

found 2 issues so far I really dont like, and for the life of me I cant think why they exist.

1. The remote weighs a ton, i'm guessing they went for the weighty quality feel but went way over the top.

2. The remote is awful, it has flat semi press rubbery keys like one of those rollup keyboards meaning its difficult to memorize in the dark as you cant really feel your way around it as easily as you could with proper buttons.

disappointing but i wont really be using it once its set up, so not a deal-breaker for me.

The WX021 and WX051's can be used as wireless surround speakers... not as ATMOS speakers.
They can't be used as surround backs either, they are limited to wireless surrounds, or as part of multi-room speakers.

The WX010 and WX030 speakers can't use as you require a speaker with 5Ghz AC WiFi on-board to work with wireless surround sound... and the WX010 / WX030 only have 2.4Ghz WiFi.

being limited to wireless surrounds shouldn't be a problem for many people to be honest, i'll just switch my wired surrounds speaker wiring to my ATMOS heights back and create surrounds using musiccast speakers, so i will have L/R/SUB/CENTER + ATMOS hieght FRONT + BACK as wired and musiccast surrounds to complete my 5.2.4 config. (my second sub output runs a transducer screwed to my sofa bottom which is all kinds of brilliant. :)

I have 2.4 + 5g like most people do, who doesn't to be honest?

good god I really hate this remote, i'm now googling alternatives, if anyone can suggest an alternative let me know, I really only need a working settings, HDMI and scene buttons, the rest would just be gravy.

A Logitech Harmony remote is the most logical alternative. THis will also replace most other remotes and can be programmed with activities. If purchased with the Hub then you'd also get the ability to control your kit via the Harmony app on an iOS or Android device.

The WX021 and WX051's can be used as wireless surround speakers... not as ATMOS speakers.
They can't be used as surround backs either, they are limited to wireless surrounds, or as part of multi-room speakers.

The WX010 and WX030 speakers can't use as you require a speaker with 5Ghz AC WiFi on-board to work with wireless surround sound... and the WX010 / WX030 only have 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Do you think we could use one musiccast 20 as a single stereo surround like the 50, this could work for me as where i'm sat I dont really get positional surround as its right back against the wall and too close to me.

A Logitech Harmony remote is the most logical alternative. THis will also replace most other remotes and can be programmed with activities. If purchased with the Hub then you'd also get the ability to control your kit via the Harmony app on an iOS or Android device.

You've found us at last ! :)

Cheers, yeah I had been looking at some but then realised i might be able to do all the none setup day to day stuff with ALEXA, going to try over the weekend.

What are your thoughts on me using one musiccast20 as a stereo surround?

You've found us at last ! :)

Cheers, yeah I had been looking at some but then realised i might be able to do all the none setup day to day stuff with ALEXA, going to try over the weekend.

What are your thoughts on me using one musiccast20 as a stereo surround?

I'd be more inclined to have 2 surrounds as opposed to just one mounted centrally.

I currently have my surrounds wired and on the back wall behind me, I have no place to put them either side of me due to my odd lounge setup without using stands but I dont want speakers floating about where they'll get knocked over. My plan is to use the wires currently driving my surrounds to drive some new ATMOS back heights on the same wall up against the ceiling, then use the 20's as surrounds.

I've never had good positional sound from my surrounds though as they are so close to where I site, I can fix this though when I go wireless as I can put them accross the other side of the room, but.. I can only afford one right now so its going to behind me on a stand for now.

Picture1.png

Dolby suggest that surrounds be placed behind you in an Atmos setup anyway so having them to your sides wouldn't be conducive with their guidelines even if you could accomodate them to your sides. The issue you have is your close proximity to the surrounds. It is suggested that you need at least 1.5m between your listening position and the surrounrds in order for their output to be able to disperse itself without it localising itself to the location of the speaker or speakers. Using Bi-poles my help disperse the suuround speakers' output across the rear wall, but you;d still be closer than what would be ideal to the rear presence speakers.

Why are you wanting to include rear MusiCast speakers if you've already the wiring in place for conventional speakers? I cannot see a reason to do this?

Hi, I do pull the sofa out when I'm watching a movie, I just dont bother really for most TV watching and youtube so I do get decent positioning when movie watching, I forgot about that.

On my last 3 amps i've only been able to set rear surround in conjunction with side surrounds, I've never been able to turn the side surrounds off, its odd. I get that when you just have surrounds the amp will sum rear and surround together but you should be able to have rear surrounds and have surround summed into those.

I currently have this setup:

2x WIRED - FRONT L/R
1x WIRED - SUB
1x WIRED - transducer
1x WIRED - CENTER
2x WIRED - Surrounds
2x WIRED - FRONT ATMOS HIEGHTS

I want this.

2x WIRED - FRONT L/R
1X WIRED - SUB
1x WIRED - transducer
1x WIRED - CENTER
2x WIRELESS - Surrounds
2x WIRED - FRONT ATMOS HIEGHTS
2x WIRED - REAR ATMOS HEIGHTS

You can only have back surrounds in a configuration that has a 7.1 floor layout. The location of the surrounds behind you doesn't mean that they need or should be connected to the back surround terminals. You've only a 5.1 floor layout so the rear speakers will only ever be surrounds and not back surrounds.

5.1 = Just Surround Speakers
7.1 = Surround and Back Surround Speakers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom