Yamaha RX-V385 Loosing Audio

ENIGMAMACHINE

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang

Sorry to be back so soon with the same problem.

Recently started using a Yamaha RX-V385 and still having problems with the unit retaining settings for AUDIO 1. An obvious symptom when the unit first powers on is that there is no functionality with either manual volume or remote for the radio tuner = nothing. For this set up ARC is turned off while using the optical audio in from the TV (should be AUDIO 1). It was behaving fine until it powered down over night. I'm just wondering if there is a dB default volume level which may be set too low? Because I have to raise the level quite a lot to get volume back (when its behaving).

Thank you again ...
Mike

Last edited:
You could try using the OPTIONS/VOLUME TRIM/INPUT TRIM (IN TRIM) setting.

by default 2021-12-01 at 17.52.34.png

Hi dante

For this unit I see the following:

Sound

Volume

(then the sub features)

Scale ...... dB
Ini Vol .... dB
DRC Min/Max/Auto

I still don't get anything out of the Tuner (no response). I should get something? :thumbsdow

Thank You
Mike

Press the OPTION button on the remote. A menu will appear. Go down into the option labelled VOLUME TRIM and you'll find a setting for INPUT TRIM.

Any adjustments you enter for this setting will be applicable to just the source the AV receiver is cirrently set to. Each source can have a different setting independant of the other sources.

Thanks dante (nothing yet)

Option

Volume Trim

Re-adjusted for:

Tuner In. Trim + 6.0dB
ALL SW Trim +6.0db

Still NO functionality on the volume control for the Radio/Tuner, nor anything else ...

BTW, upon reboot, the Mains for AUDIO 1 (small numbers) read -80dB ???

What have I missed? :(

Last edited:
I'd not adjust the subwoofer trim setting. I never suggested you youch that setting. Leave it set to 0.

BTW, upon reboot, the Mains for AUDIO 1 (small numbers) read -80dB ???

What have I missed? :(

I've no idea as to what you are refering to or what you a conveying now?

If refering to the master volume level then you'd adjust that ising the volume control. The level you are suggesting it is set to is very high.

Maybe reconsider the INITIAL VOLUME level you've onviously set -80fb and set this lower? Altering that setting has nothing to do with the signal level from individual sources.

To tell you the truth, I don't actually think you've an issue with the source level and I'm getting the impression it is more an issue with your understanding of how your AV receiver operates?

I'd not adjust the subwoofer trim setting. I never suggested you youch that setting. Leave it set to 0.

That was not intentional I will do that no problem ...

"If refering to the master volume level then you'd adjust that ising the volume control"

Yes I understand that of course ...

Maybe reconsider the INITIAL VOLUME level you've onviously set -80fb and set this lower?

Sorry for the reboot comment .... its always read -80 dB - don't know how that happened ...

Regardless its still very strange I get NO functionality on the volume control even for the Tuner??? This was a problem initially. But I actually did get volume functionality after making some suggested adjustments. Not anymore ... Volume functionality is gone again .... I'm not sure if recognition factors/adjustments are being maintained in the memory?

To Clarify:

ARC is OFF
HDCP Version is HDMI 1
HDMI Control is ON
TV AUDIO = AUDIO 1

Last edited:
Which Tuner are you refering to?

Are you talking about the AV receiver's ownradio tuner? Have you an artial for this connected and have you tuned it to the stations you'd want to listen to?

Volume? Do you mean AUDIO? Are you saying that the volume is low in association with the TUNER or are you saying that you don't get any audio at all? If the latter then it has nothing to do with the signal level or the volume configurations.

AUDIO 1 is the input associated with your TV and the optical or the ARC input and this has nothing to do with the AV receiver's radio tuner.

Are you talking about the AV receiver's ownradio tuner?

Yes ....

AUDIO 1 is the input associated with your TV and the optical or the ARC input and this has nothing to do with the AV receiver's radio tuner.

Just re-clarifying, trying to understand why I get NO level functionality

Do you mean AUDIO?

Yes and no NO adjustment functionality for that .... neither on the remote nor manually .... Its simply NOT responding .... (are we at least clear about that)? :(

How bout a Factory Reset? Is that possible?

Thank You dante

Are you saying that you are unable to get any audio via any source?

If so then ensure that you've set the AV receiver to ZONE A using the ZONE selection button on the remote.

You may have accidentally set the remote to the ZONE B option and while set to ZONE B the volume control would have no effect upon the volume setting relative to the main ZONE A.

How bout a Factory Reset? Is that possible?

If all else fails then yes, but if the issue persists after this then I can only suggest you look into returning the AV receiver under warranty to have an engineer take a look at it.

By the way, if you reset the unit then the HDMI Control and ARC setting will more than likely be reset to ON.

"Are you saying that you are unable to get any audio via any source?"

Yes that's correct .... (And No Functionality when either manually turning the knob or using the remote). And I've always used the 'Built-in Tuner' as a test source, suspecting if I couldn't get a level response or, Functionality, or any audio signal from the Internal Tuner, then something 'could' be wrong with the unit itself ....

"accidentally set the remote to the ZONE B?"

I doubt I would have accidentally made a mal-adjustment. I've owned Yamaha Recievers for years now ....

Just discovered if I turn 'OFF' HDMI Control, then manual or remote control is returned/resumed and audio signal is returned. I apologize - perhaps I missed this? I was previously trying to get proper recognition/communication on a Smart TV with eARC? However I successfully watched several movies last night with HDMI Control turned 'ON' with no problem (complete functionality)?

I appreciate your patience and understanding ....
Mike

What I think may be happening is that when powering up the AV receiver from standby, it is setting itself to the ARC source. This is a side effect of ARC and would result in you not hearing anything. You'd resolve this by simply selecting another source that has a device outputting audio associated with it. I'd not suggest using the AV receiver's inbuilt tuner as a test for functionality, especially if wishing to diagnose issues with HDMI sourced media.

HDMI Control would need to be turned on if wanting to use ARC or eARC to convey audio from your TV to the AV receiver, but leaving it on will also result in your AV receiver setting itself to it TV ARC source (AUDIO 1) when you power it up again out of standby. This is caused by HDMI CEC and the AV receiver detecting the TV as a source when powered back up. It is a pain, but not a fault and simply a result of the ill thought out manner in which HDMI ARC is implemented.

Hey dante

As always thank you for a concise explanation. I didn't seem to have these issues with my HTR-5835 or RX-V467 ...

I remember Joe Fernand saying: "there's no guarantee things will work as required"

"You'd resolve this by simply selecting another source that has a device outputting audio associated with it"

To Recap:
Keep HDMI Control Turned 'ON' - If the same problem comes up again (upon reboot), then switch to another source other than the Tuner, like a 'DVD Player' and the reciever should refresh itself?

Is there something/anything else I need to do in regard to HDMI CEC?

Thanks
Mike

Basically, the AV receiver isn't rebooting up into the TUNER source if you've engaged and got the HDMI XONTROL and ARC settings set to ON. The AV receiver will automatically switch itself to the AUDIO 1 source set asifde for ARC. Because the TV isn't actually outputting any audio via ARC, this results in there being no audio. The solution is to simply select another source other than the AUDIO 1 ARC TV source the AV receiver had automatically set itself to.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom