Yamaha RX-V3800 & 3D TV via HDMI - Possible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bartonhfy83hn, Feb 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bartonhfy83hn

bartonhfy83hn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 amp, with Monitor Audio Shadow speakers, and an SBS Sub, and Sharp 60" LCD TV, a VidOn.me AV200, PS3, Humax HD-SAT and AppleTV box. All connected through the amp with HDMI. All working brilliantly, and very happy with the quality.

However, I have now bought some 3D glasses so I can experience Active 3D movies at home too - but it's not working! I think this is because the Yamaha is only HDMI 1.3a, not HDMI 1.4, so does not support passthrough of 3D signals - can anyone confirm that this is likely to be the reason? (I will try playing the 3D BD directly connected to the TV later, just to confirm).

Does anyone have a solution for this, short of replacing the amp? I know I could connect HDMI direct to the TV, and have sound via optical - but doesn't this limit the sound formats supported? I am using BD source, with True-HD sound, so do not want to drop back to DTS 5.1! Is there a way of splitting the HDMI so I can feed the TV with the 3D video, and the Amp with the True-HD 7.1 audio, from a single HDMI output on the VidOn.me box?

Any help and advice gratefully received. If I was to replace the amp, I would probably go for the Sony STRDN-840 which is on special at Richer Sounds for just £200 , as I do not want to get bitten with an expensive amp falling behind the times again. Thoughts on this would also be welcome!

Thanks

Howard

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052
    The HDMI implimentation onboard your AV receiver cannot passthrough sequential 3D. You'd need a receiver with HDMI 1.4 or greater to be able to passthrough sequential 3D. Another option is to use a 3D Blu-ray play that has two HDMI outputs. You'd connect one of the outputs directly to the display so that sequential 3D content can be conveyed to it while the other HDMI output is used to convey audio to your older AV receiver.

The STRDN840 is well below the level of your current amp despite its features and more recent implementation of HDMI.

3. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I had a similar problem with the PS3 before I upgraded my amp from an Onkyo 605 to a TX-NR808.

The PS3 would not play 3D material until the PS3 'recognised' that I had a 3D TV. Plugged the PS3 directly into the TV and started a 3D movie. The PS3 'recognised' the 3D TV and once that was done, I re-connected the PS3 to the Onkyo 605 and 3D was indeed passed through the amp.

The PS3 only had the low speed HDMI anyway ( 1.3 ) but, still played 3D movies and games.

Worth a try!

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052
    The PS3 will play sequential 3D content, but only due to a firmware revision that was implimented. The PS3 uses frame packing to achieve 3D output via its HDMI 1.3 interface. The console cannot output Dolby TrueHD while simultaneously outputting sequential 3D video and this is one of the drawbacks associated with using the PS3 for the playback of 3D Blu-ray titles.

How and why the 3-D HDMI 1.4 update is possible fo... - PlayStation® Forums

Beware of these early 3D projectors... they will need HDMI 1.4 to work with PS3 in 3D - Page 3

An AV receiver needs at least HDMI version 1.4 in order to passthrough sequential 3D video.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    All very interesting! Thank you dante01!

How come I can play my copy of Star Trek Into Darkness in 3D and with Dolby True HD ( shows on the TX-NR808 ) from the PS3 to my Optoma HD 131x or my Samsung 46ES8000? Is this purely to do with the 1.4 HDMI on the amp' and the projector then?

I mean, the weakest link in my particular chain is the PS3 right?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052
    No idea, but the PS3 couldn't originally play either DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD in conjunction with sequential 3D. A further update after the 3D update gave the console the ability to play DTS-HD in conjunction with 3D content, but there's been no update since that facilitates bitstreaming of TrueHD audio in conjunction with sequential 3D video. Are you streaming the audio as LPCM or are you bitstreaming it? There's no issue if outputting the audio as LPCM and it is only when bitstreaming TrueHD that the console has issues withoutputting it in conjunction with sequential 3D video.

PS3 - No Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on 3D Blu-rays - Playsta... - PlayStation® Forums

You'll get Dolby Digital 5.1 if playing a sequential 3D movie while attempting to bitstream TrueHD.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  7. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Come to think of it, it was DTS-HD Master Audio!

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052

That would be even more bizarre seeing as the Star Trek into Darkness Blu-ray doesn't come with a DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack option. :confused:

9. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Now, no-one likes a smart arse but you are absolutely correct ;):facepalm:! It was the 'Moody Blues Live - Lovely to see you' which has DTS-HD Master Audio! And that plays from the PS3 but then it's not 3D.

I'll get my coat!:thumbsup:

10. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Coat back off!

A friend loaned me 'Oz The Great & Powerful' which is 3D and has a DTS 7.1 HDMA soundtrack. I will try it later to see what happens!