Yamaha RX-V377 Cannot change default input with HDMI-ARC

Calamus

Novice Member
Hi folks,

First, here's how I have everything set up:
1. Desktop Windows PC HDMI Out (Nvidia GTX1160Ti) -> Yamaha RX-V377 HDMI 2 IN
2. Yamaha RX-v377 HDMI OUT (ARC) -> LG 55UJ7700-UA TV HDMI 2 IN (ARC)
Not a terribly difficult setup.

Settings:
LG TV: SIMPLINK-HDMI-CEC -> ON / Auto Power Sync -> ON
- Sound Out = Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)
Windows PC: Audio Device = LG TV (Nvidia High Definition Audio) (this is my only option. Windows detects the Yamaha AVR, but does not detect that it is plugged in)
Yamaha AVR: HDMI -> Configuration -> HDMI Control = ON
- TV Audio Input AV1 (Can only select AV 1-5, AUDIO
  • Standby Sync = Auto
  • ARC - ON
  • SCENE = All set to off

LGTV Set to HDMI 2 = I have video of my Windows Desktop = Check
AVR set to HDMI 2 = I have audio in 5.1 of my PC = Check

Operation:
1. When everything is on, and in the current settings listed above I get full video, and audio of my PC. - Perfect
2. When I turn off my LG TV it will turn off my Yamaha AVR. It does nothing to my PC = Perfect
3. When I turn on my LGTV it will turn on my AVR = Perfect
4. Initially my AVR shows the last setting it was on before power down (HDMI2) but as it completes turning on it switches the input to AV1. = BAD! TERRIBLE! HORRIBLE!

The most obvious problem I can see is that my AVR settings are telling it to go to AV1, through the TV Audio Input setting. The only problem is that I cannot set that setting to ANY HDMI input... It will only allow AV1-5 or Audio. None of these help.

My Nvidia card has no CEC functionality, so the problem here is a disconnect between the TV and the receiver. I imagine that the TV is telling the receiver to set to default TV setting, which is AV1, I guess... This sucks hard.

TL;DR: How can I get my TV to tell my receiver to set to HDMI2 when powering up rather than AV1?

Thanks in advance to everyone who reads my problem, and can offer suggestions to fix it.

Cheers,

dante01

Distinguished Member
It is due to HDMI ARC's dependance upon HDMI CEC. It isn't a fault or defincency with the hardware and simply a poorly implimented feature of ARC. It forces your AV receiver to automatically switch to he ARC associated AV1 source if ARC is enabled when the TV powers up and detects the AV receiver.

The sources AV1 to 5 are HDMI inputs by default. You say you can access these so you can therefore select any of the HDMI sources. The ARC audio is assigned to the AUDIO 1 source and not to AV1.

While the receiver will power up and switch to the AV1 ARC associated source, there's nothing preventing you from subsequently selecting another source ans switching to that. THe TV and the AV receiver do not prevent you selecting another source.

Calamus

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am aware that I can switch the input once it powers up. The point of using the HDMI-CEC/ARC is to be able to power both devices up with one button. Switching the input afterwards manually defeats this purpose.

Are you sure that AV1 is an HDMI selection? On my remote I specifically have HDMI1-5 buttons, and then below that I have a row of AV1-5 buttons. They seem to be separate? I took that to mean that the AV selections indicated component or RCA cable inputs, and HDMI, the HDMI inputs. Am I reading this wrong?

I can say with certainty that I get neither video nor audio when my AVR is set to AV2, instead of HDMI 2.

I hear what you're saying about the limitation of the system. The AVR automatically communicates with the TV as a television, hence AV1 default. There is no way in the programming to overrule this? That seems like a serious oversight.

Thanks again for all help.

dante01

Distinguished Member
My mistake. The AV entitled sources are associated with HDMI inputs on later models. They are indeed set as different video inputs on your receiver by default.

Because of HDMI ARC's dependancy upon HDMI CEC then no, there's no way to avoid the AV receiver automatically switching itself to the ARC associated source when you power it up. It isn't Yamaha's fault though and is simply due to the way in which ARC uses HDMI CEC. It is ARC's dependancy upon HDMI CEC that causes the AV receiver to automatically switch itself to the ARC source when powered up. Denon and Marantz models do include an option to bypass the auto switching associated with HDMI CEC if and when used with ARC, but this isn't a standard feature you'd normally get with HDMI CEC or ARC. Other makes of AV receiver suffer with the same behaviour and it isn't something that is an exclusive issue associated with Yamaha models. It is an issue with ARC which Yamaha have no influence upon.

You can create a workaround if using a Logitech Harmony remote by adding commands to an activity that counter the receiver switching itself to the ARC source.

Last edited:

Calamus

Novice Member
Damn, seems like I need newer equipment, lol! I had a Harmony remote, haven't used it for years now. I think my wife just recycled it the other weekend, damn!

Thank you for your replies. It's good to know I'm not crazy, as this has been boggling me for quite a while.

Cheers,

spicypadthai

Novice Member
Hi all, my first post, I joined b/c of this thread. I'm having the same problem due to a new Fire TV Cube, which I like but b/c I'm using ARC, the Cube defaults the AVR (Yamaha RA-A2080) to the ARC port when the AVR powers on. For watching TV, I have my cable box connected to the AVR so it requires changing the AVR input after everything is on. I'm using a Harmony remote (Elite) and for my "Watch TV" activity, I tried changing the startup order and I added a 10-second delay before setting the AVR input source but it still defaults to the ARC port. The only way to not have to change it after everything is powered on is to connect the cable box into the TV and use ARC for sound. I'm assuming it'll be pretty much the same overall quality since I'm doing the same thing with my Xbox Series X to get 4k/120hz video (AVR doesn't support it on the pass-through, I was 1 year early with my purchase...) and it works great. I'm just curious whether I'm doing something incorrectly on the Harmony side if I want it the way I had it originally.

@dante01 Have you set up a Harmony remote to counter the auto switch to ARC? Which remote, and what device order and commands do you use?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Cube doesn't default the AV receiver to ARC. The TV causes the AV receiver to automatically switch itself to the ARC source. THis is caused by ARC's reliance upon HDMI CEC (Control) which causes the TV to send an HDMI CEC command to the AV receiver that switches the AV receiver to its ARC source if and when you power the TV and or y=the AV receiver up and if ARC and HDMI Control are engaged onboard both the TV and the AV receiver. THe automatic switching to the ARC source has nothing at all to do with any other devices connected to either the TV or the AV receiver.

Is your TV eARC enabled? If it is then you could disable (turn off) its implimentation of HDMI CEC and use eARC as opposed to conventional ARC. rARC isn't reliant upon HDMI CEC so will operate without it. You'd have to leave it on onboard the AV receiver though and the AV receiver will need to be manually set to the TV ARC source if and when you wish to access audio via ARC from the TV. Turning the TV's implimentation of CEC off will prevent the TV from auromatically switching the AV receiver to its ARC source though.

Note the above is only possible if using eARC and if both the TV and the AV receiver are eARC enabled.

dante01

Distinguished Member
@dante01 Have you set up a Harmony remote to counter the auto switch to ARC? Which remote, and what device order and commands do you use?

Yes, I've configured a Harmony remote relative to the activity I use for my cable TV box. THe TV is an LG C9 and the AV receiver is a Yamaha RXA1080. I created a SCENE for my AV receiver setup for what I ordinarilly have the AVR set to while using my TiVo cable box. I added a 3 second delay post the conventional activity commands and then added the TiVo scenr command to the activity. after than delay.

See here:

spicypadthai

Novice Member
Got it, makes sense then that it wasn't an issue before with my XBSX b/c it's not powered on when I turn on stuff for TV. But the Cube is always on, even when in sleep mode, so that's why I described it like that. More of a "correlation, not causation". Thanks for the Harmony info and I'll check out the link. I'm trying everything (Cube, cable, XBSX) connected to the TV (same as you, LG C9) to see how I like it and if I can get the Harmony activities to start correctly.

dante01

Distinguished Member
AS I said, it has nothing to do with other devices and it is just the TV switching the AV receiver to its ARC audio source due to ARC using HDMI CEC for its functionality. It is the same thing that switched the AV receiver to ARC when you launch and othen play content via one of the TV's smart apps. HDMI CEC facilitates this auto switching.

I'd however suggest not engaging HDMI CEC onboard additional devices due to the issues HDMI CEC can cause. If you've a Harmony remote then use that to control your devices as opposed to relying upon HDMI CEC. HDMI CEC can cause the TV to detect that device and switch to that device as opposed to it connecting directly to the AV receiver. If you had a device connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the AV receiver and if that device had HDMI CEC turned on then the AV receiver may switch to that input on power up and the TV may suffenly indivate it is connected to that device as opposed to being connected to the AV receiver.

spicypadthai

Novice Member
I tried the Scenes option you mentioned with my Harmony and it appears to work the way I want. Thanks for the suggestion. A little off-topic: Is there a way to change any of the Scene settings? Either which input or some of the options within it? I'm using #5 b/c it's the one connected to AV2, the input I'm using for the cable box. I want the sound to be good old "Straight" but I can't figure out how to change the "Mode" settings. It has Surround AI "on" and DSP set to "Drama".

dante01

Distinguished Member
Select the source you'd want the scene to be associated with/ While the AV receiver is set to this source, configure the swtup in the manner you'd want the scene to recreate. Once setup, hold down the scene button you'd like this configuration to be saved to until the AV receiver indicates that the configurations have been saved to this scene.

Also note that there are additional settings that can be saved to a scene by select those options via the SCENE configurations settings on the AV receiver. Not all options are available by default.

All the scenes including the defaults can be overwritten with your own SCENE confifurations.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom