Yamaha RX-V375 surround signals showing as PCM

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ruckus49, Jun 15, 2018.

1. ruckus49

ruckus49
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha RX-V375 surround signals showing as PCM

Hi Guys,

I have had the same setup for over 3 years and I just noticed that my surround signals aren't being displayed properly on my Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. I have a home theater PC connected via HDMI directly into the receiver. For some reason, any video I play on the HTPC comes up as "PCM" on both the signal input menu and the front panel. I have a bunch of Dolby and DTS demo videos that I have used for years and the strange thing is, I am still getting 5.1 surround sound! Everything sounds normal...

I tried reinstalling my laptop drivers to no avail. Since I do have surround still, this is just a minor issue but I do miss seeing "Dolby" on my receiver and am generally wondering what is going on. Anyone ever see a similar issue?

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,957
    The HTPC is not set to Bitstream. What player are you using? You need to set it to Bitstream via WASAPI.

Having said that, for 5.1 audio, the PC will not necessarily do a worse job than the AVR at decoding the audio, so unless you are wanting Atmos / dts:x you are probably not losing anything by having it set as it is.

3. ruckus49

ruckus49
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, i use MPCHC. I was able to dig into the settings and saw that bitstream was not checked for the surround formats. Dolby and DTS are now showing up on the receiver.

Another problem that I'm having with this now is that I can't get Pro Logic II do work with stereo sources (i.e, Netflix). I used to be able to do this, now when I hit the "surround decode" button on the receiver it stays in the "straight" stereo mode.

EDIT: I figured that out. I had to set windows to my setup as stereo only. Bitstreaming is still working in 5.1.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018