Yamaha RX V375, 5.1 Surround with Passive Sub

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Dave Pally, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Dave Pally

Dave Pally
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm new to audio systems and have just bought the above receiver to go with a set of Yamaha 5.1 (6 Ohms, max 100W) speakers that I got cheap. As the title states, the sub is passive rather than active. I aim to get an active sub when my bank balance allows it.

I'm after tips on the ideal setup of the speakers as they are, in order to give the best sound. I plan on running the auto setup with the 5.1 speakers, excluding the sub. I was then going to connect the sub to the FR channel in order to make use of it. A salesman in Richer Sounds suggested this would be OK but did warn about overloading etc. Does this sound like a reasonable plan or should I take a different approach?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Dave

2. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  3. Dave Pally

Dave Pally
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, it certainly would. Would it be possible to connect two sets of speaker wire from R and L channels to provide 50 Watts if deemed necessary?

Also, I only have a single pre out on the amp, would I just connect it to the L port or would a splitter be required?

Thanks again!
    Dave

4. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'd suggest just using the one channel. The power supply is not that great so although they claim 25w per channel I wouldn't assume that pairing would automatically get you double. However, I'm pretty confident you'll get enough volume from one the channel anyway.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    The amp has no bridging mode so it is impossible to combine the amplification for use with just one pair of speaker terminals. It would damage a speaker and the amp if you were to connect both the left and the right speaker output terminals to the same speaker. You need an amp that can bridge its internal left and right amplifiers into one unified amp if wanting to change a two channel amp into a monoblock, it is either this or you need to buy a monoblock to begin with. A monoblock amp only facilitates the amplification of one channel of audio and this would be all that is required in order to power a passive sub in conjunction with an AV receiver because the sub pre out output is mono.

6. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Or just use one channel of a stereo amp and leave the other passive.