Yamaha RX-V373 As Entry Level Unit For Newbie ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Free To Air, Aug 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Free To Air

Free To Air

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,

I would be grateful for some advice about what equipment I should be looking to purchase to improve the sound from my Sky HD box.

My basic understanding is that I need some type of audio receiver to accept the optical output from the Sky HD box via a TosLink cable then output it to some speakers. If this is all I need would anyone please be able to recommend a reasonable entry level option?

It is only for use in our lounge to watch TV and I am not looking for anything special, just something that will provide audio better than the internal speakers of my Panasonic TV.

I use a dedicated video processor for upscaling and HDMI switching so I do not really need anything with a lot of video connectivity, it is only audio I need to improve.

Rgds
    FTA

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. Free To Air

Free To Air

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    After looking into this a bit more, one possible entry level contender would seem to be the Yamaha RX-V373 unit which is available for £149 brand new.

In reality it has way more video connectivity than I need due to my using a dedicated video processor, however, it seems to be OK for my audio needs?

Ideally, if there was an entry level audio only unit available with optical inputs (TosLink) that would seem to be prefect for my needs. Perhaps I should have place this topic in the audio amplifier forum. Is it possible for a mod to move the topic for me to avoid duplication?

Rgds
    FTA

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,872
    Integrated stereo amps tend not to incorporate digital inputs and onboard DACs. Those that do tend to be priced higher. Denon do manufacture the Ceol Piccolo which may be of some interest to you?

Denon DRA-N5 Ceol Piccolo

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/p...bid=NetworkMusicSystems&productid=CEOLPiccolo

The Marantz Melody Media follows a similar theme:

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/Product...spx?CatId=Systems&ProductId=MCR603MelodyMedia

Again, they're no cheaper than purchasing an entry level AV receiver though.

There's also the option of using an external DAC in conjunction with a conventional stereo integrated amplifier. This allows you to convert the digital S/PDIF signal to analogue prior to inputting it into the stereo amp. You can spend thousands on a DAC, but there are affordable options available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-DAC-D..._8?ie=UTF8&qid=1376065646&sr=8-8&keywords=DAC

4. Jan Pogonowski

Jan Pogonowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use the HTR-3065 (bundle version of the RX-V363) and it offers great value surround sound. You could connect 2 front speakers to it for a better sounding stereo sound field to the one you get from your TV speakers, but, as a lot of Sky broadcasts support Dolby Digital and you'll be using an optical cable for audio, you may aswel make it a 5.1 set-up.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    The yamaha 196, 298 or 398 would be worth a look.

6. bigporl

bigporl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky hd boxes have had an update now for 5.1

7. bigporl

bigporl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    through the hdmi

8. Free To Air

Free To Air

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

It sounds as though an entry level bundled kit for 5.1 audio will be perfect for my needs, ie, amplifier and speakers.

I do not need any other gear as I have a blue ray player, Sky HD box and video processor so all I need are the amp and speakers. In fact I have 4 satellite speakers that used to be connected to an old 36" Toshiba CRT, not sure if they would be OK though?

Rgds
    FTA

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    You would need to check the impedance of the speakers. Anything under 4 ohms would be too low and should not be used. You would also need a sub which would cost a fair bit on its own so a bundled package probably works out the same price.

10. Jan Pogonowski

Jan Pogonowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If anything, get something like the YHT-398 like me. It offers high quality entry level surround sound at great value. If not the YHT-398, then the YHT-298 will still produce excellent surround sound.

11. Free To Air

Free To Air

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Would you happen to know if there is an equivalent bit of kit to the Yamaha YHT-398 system but with the amplifier as audio only rather than with HDMI video. Another manufacturer would be OK provided the quality was decent for entry level.

I keep thinking that I do not need video/HDMI built into the amplifier as I use a separate video processor. I suppose most speaker/amplifier systems nowadays include video via an AV Receiver?

Rgds
    FTA

12. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    All new receivers will have hdmi and would have pay a lot to get one without and even then it may not be possible. There is nothing much to beat the value of the yamaha sets.

13. Free To Air

Free To Air

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Update:

I purchased the Yamaha RX-V373 brand new for £149 and will look to purchase a set of surround sound speakers in the near future.

Thx for all your help.

Rgds
    FTA