Yamaha RX-V371 - Couple Of Questions

Vern

Novice Member
Just purchased one of these from Richer Sounds as a replacement for 3 year old Onkyo that blew its centre speaker output.

Setup mostly okay but anyone know the answer to the following, please?

Using the YPAO microphone to set up the speakers, got a "Warning 1" message on the front display. The quickstart leaflet says refer to the manual, this is in pdf format on a CD but opening this up could find no reference to warnings or the YPAO process full stop. Anyhow tested last night on the latest Harry Potter movie and all seems to working okay with incredible sound (better than the Onkyo) so not too fussed.

With all the HDMI outputs from various players running via the amp, is there any pass through facilty on this model to just use the TV speakers when required, rather than running the amp?

Finally, how do you dim the front display - nothing on the quickstart leaflet and it's so bright to be a bit of a distraction watching a movie in the dark.

Many thanks.

Badger0-0

W1 = phase.
The amp thinks you've got a speaker(s) connected the wrong way round.
This is common on the Yam amps.

Just double check you've got them wired right and if you have, don't worry about it.

Explained on page 24 of the manual

Dimming is explained on pages 49 and 50.

I didn't notice any mention of pass through.

Adiedinburgh

Hi guys,
I've recently bought this amp as a replacement for Onkyo tx-sr309 which kept losing signal with ps3 and to be fair I'm a bit disappointed with sound quality. My speakers are Tannoy SFX 5.1. I'm under impression that Onkyo sounded fuller and smoother, also bass was a bit softer, my rx-371 after ypao calibration sounded really flat, after that I calibrated it using sound level meter and it's much better, although it's still not perfect, I don't know, maybe it's just my imagination... The problem is both of these amps were blind buys as I didn't test any of them before making a purchase. I noticed that this yamaha has graphic equalizer, is it possible to tweak the settings to get more dynamic and vibrant sound(midrange and lower tones)? I'm seriously considering taking it back to Richer Sounds and I'm willing to go for higher model( even 200£ more expensive), I was considering yamaha rx-v671 or denon avr 1912... Is there gonna be much difference between them and my rx-v371?
Any response is much appreciated.
Adrian

Badger0-0

Hi guys,
I've recently bought this amp as a replacement for Onkyo tx-sr309 which kept losing signal with ps3 and to be fair I'm a bit disappointed with sound quality. My speakers are Tannoy SFX 5.1. I'm under impression that Onkyo sounded fuller and smoother, also bass was a bit softer, my rx-371 after ypao calibration sounded really flat, after that I calibrated it using sound level meter and it's much better, although it's still not perfect, I don't know, maybe it's just my imagination... The problem is both of these amps were blind buys as I didn't test any of them before making a purchase. I noticed that this yamaha has graphic equalizer, is it possible to tweak the settings to get more dynamic and vibrant sound(midrange and lower tones)? I'm seriously considering taking it back to Richer Sounds and I'm willing to go for higher model( even 200£ more expensive), I was considering yamaha rx-v671 or denon avr 1912... Is there gonna be much difference between them and my rx-v371?
Any response is much appreciated.
Adrian

I'd suggest the weak link is most likely to be the speakers.
I'd be looking to upgrade the front 3 at least.

Member 569079

Novice Member
Yes I agree with Badger0-0, something along the lines of the Wharfedale Moviestar DX1 would be a good upgrade for your syste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adiedinburgh

Thanks for your replies guys, you may be right, however I remember how my speakers performed with Onkyo amp and the difference is easy to notice, Yamaha just doesn't sound that full and smooth... How about higher models? Is there really much difference in sound quality between rx-v371 and let's say rx-v671?

Badger0-0

The 671 is bound to be better, but it's my experience that they still have a similar sound, regardless of where they are in the range.

It would seem you just prefer the more forward presentation the Onkyos give.
In which case that's probably what you should go back to.

But whilst I don't want to sound like a broken record, any amp change will be nowhere near the improvement you'd get with a speaker upgrade imo.

Justaholic

Standard Member
For the w1 ypao error i'v found that the souce of my problem wasn't polarity it was wired ok, But it was resulting from me setting the gain to much on the sub for whatever reason it was giving me this error, now when decrease the gain level at the back of the sub the amp automaticly increase the sound output from the amp to the sub to compensate for the lowergain.

Adiedinburgh

Thanks for all replies guys, few days ago I eventually swapped my yamaha for denon avr 1912 and it was the best choice ever, Denon for me is just different league, sounds full, rich and just better to my ears.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom