yamaha rx-v365

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steinlager, Jun 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. steinlager

steinlager

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi guys i have a yamaha rx-v1ood receiverand i would like to up grade would the rx-v365 be alot better??
    any other amps for this kinda money out there?

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    The Yamaha RX-V365 is the bottom of the range receiver from Yamaha, so it is hard to tell whether it would be an upgrade. Obviously modern technology has moved on but sometimes audio quality is compromised to accommodate features. Demo to be sure would be my advice. I would be aiming to spend a similar amount or more on an "upgrade".

3. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    This thread may be usefull to you. The HDMI inputs on the Yammy 365 are limited to video only --- no audio processing, if that is important to you. From what I understand, the Sony has a brighter sound than the Yamaha, but is very good value, feature wise, for the money.

Also the Marantz sr4002 mentioned on that thread may be worth investigation --- Maranz is renowned for sound quality.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...68-sony-strdg820-back-sale-richer-sounds.html

4. steinlager

steinlager

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks guys, do you think that the rxv465 would be a better choice then?
    or do you still think the sony strdg820 would be better?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,841
    Depends. The Yamaha sounds better, but the Sony has more features such as being a 7.1 receiver.

If you only intend to power a 5.1 speaker package and you're more concerned about the quality of sound then the Yamaha should be at the top of your list.

6. sasker

sasker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had this debate today and spent hours on the net until I finally decided:D

I was going to get the DGR820 with all the features but I don't have Blu Ray and mostly watch Sky HD movies and the odd upscaled DVD.

I therefore opted for the Yamaha RX-V365 with a nice set of Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers.

I got a great deal from Richer Sounds for the amp, speakers and sub link cable. All for £399:D

The Sony packs more features and carries audio over HDMI with Dolby True HD etc but the sound quality is not as good as the Yamaha amps.

I was told by several poeple that for mainly Dolby Digital the sound quality is much better in terms of processing too from the yamaha.

I will be wall mounting the speakers tomorrow but watching a few films tonight on Sky HD the sound was awesome:D

Dante01 would you advise to get decent speaker cable as I have used the bog standard cable supplied with the Tannoy speakers?

If so can you recommend a cable / place to buy it cheap etc:D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    For a cheap speaker cable upgrade I would look at the Van Damme blue. I use the 1.5mm blue in my bedroom setup and it's excellent cable for the money. I also have some VD Hifi 2.5mm to fit for my rears in the livingroom but haven't got round to fitting it. However, in my opinion, I would stick with what you have as they're budget speakers or maybe try some on the fronts/centre and see if you notice any difference (You probably won't :) ) and if you do, replace the lot.

8. sasker

sasker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    wouldn't class the speakers as budget speakers.

Budget speakers are asda £49 surround systems or even all in one £200 systems inc speakers.

These are £140 (silver) which for most people is a lot of money to spend on speakers alone. :D

I bought some £1.99 cable from maplin in the end and it seems spot on