Yamaha RX-V3067 or Marantz SR7005

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by LadFromWales, Jan 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. LadFromWales

LadFromWales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hey all,

Am considering upgrading my CA 640R as I need more HDMI inputs and would like HD audio and room EQ. I am very much happy with how it sounds with my B&W DM600/601's though a potential upgrade to 685/686 is in the pipeline, though I will be auditioning others! I have a BK Monolith+ DF also.

Music performance is as important to me as movies. I know the CA excels in stereo and am hoping to not be let down with other current offerings! :) Music played is generally electronic though I dip my toes into pretty much all genres. Source is a HTPC with CD ripped to FLAC.

It is likely to be impossible to demo a v3067 and as stocks are 'last few' I'd like to get my order in asap if this is the one!

While the sr7005 is said to be very musical it appears to be below the v3067 as far as model placement is concerned, not that this should be important :) Both are similarly priced now at £850 and appear to have been priced similarly initially, with the sr7005 costing a few notes more! £1500/£1700

Which would be a worthy upgrade from a CA 640R. Sonic improvements as well as additional features are desired else it'd seem a little like side-stepping. Having read the Onkyo 1009 and other newer models produce better stereo sound than previous iterations is it worth a place on the list too?

I've spent hours trawling these boards and find my self umming and ahhing between the two. I'll take any other spanners you can throw in the works too!

Thank you :)

2. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    well i've got the 2067 and its a great amp.....if i would have hung on a bit i could have got the 3067 for the same cash

....i've a CA 540r in my other room and although a great receiver for the money i think the yamaha is sonically better..and with stacks of features

dont know about the better match for your speakers though....yamahas tend to have rep for leaning towards the warmer sound side of things...as i believe do the b&w's

cheers

3. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    If music is important then the Marantz is definitely the best option out of those. The 3067 is better for movies, but the Marantz offers a good balance between movies and music.

I'd personally recommend a 2nd hand Onkyo 3008 if you can find one. Movie and music performance is amazing and way ahead of both the Yamaha 3067 and Marantz 7005.

Another option would be a Denon 4311, which I wouldn't normally recommend, but it offers great value for money for the current price of around £1k.

4. LadFromWales

LadFromWales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Will both the Yamaha and my B&W's leaning towards warm make the experience poor? It does seem as though most pair the Yamaha with neutral sounding speakers like Monitor Audio RX's, though I've not got enough to upgrade them is well, that'll have to wait a few months! Good to hear that you believe the Yamaha is sonically better than your 540r, things should be similar with my 640r, as the 540r was just it's little sister!

Anyone else out there who has upgraded from a CA AVR to Marantz/Yamaha/something else? :) Any input appreciated.

EDIT: Thank you for the reply while I was posting! :) I've read that Yamaha's can be musical also, would the difference be night and day vs a Marantz?

Interesting that you say the Onkyo 3008 has good music performance...way ahead both the Yamaha and the Marantz too. Does the 3008 not have a sterile clinical sound of Onkyo's of old? It does look as though the Onkyo has more power, though it's nothing if it doesn't sound good and cause involuntary foot tapping! The 4311 looks to be selling for way over a grand which would be a bit of a stretch atm.

Still neither here nor there! Hah

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    B&W are quite clinical as opposed to being warm in nature. There should be no issue pairing the speakers with either a Marantz or a Yamaha amp. Again Monitor Audio speakers are generally regarded as being clinical in nature. If you want neutral speakers then consider KEF or Acoustic Energy as alternatives to B&W or Monitor Audio, but as I said, B&W and Monitor Audio are both generally regarded as being clinical in nature and well suited to warm sounding amps.

6. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I agree with dante01 about B&W's being better suited with warm amplification. If anything, I've always found them a bit bright and edgey for my liking.

7. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    They have improved, but I wouldn't call them musical - and my standards aren't anywhere near as high as they used to be.

The 3008 is nowhere near clinical. They are very smooth/warm compared to older models. A major improvement, thanks to (I believe) XT32.

Sorry, I saw mention of the 4311 at about £1k in another thread, but that is the current 2nd hand rate. I thought it sounded rather cheap. :(

8. LadFromWales

LadFromWales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have seen the 4311 for £999 on the auction site, new and with UK invoice...perhaps it is cheap?! I've not a clue about any of the Denon's :(

A few years ago I had a Naim NAC/NAP setup, so it's safe to say my standards have dropped also! Replacing those with an AVR I was let down initially, but of course my ears got used to it and it still sounds better than anything else I have access to.

Having B&W at the moment it'd be nice if the receiver I replace mine with will work well with the B&W sound, as I can't stretch to upgrade the lot at once :(

Yamaha and Marantz, along with the Onkyo 3008 are all regarded as being warm? I do prefer a little warmth which is why I started off with Naim, but I couldn't continue down that path unless I sold my organs! Sacrifices needed to be made!

Before my B&W's I had a set of Kef Q1's and found them to be lacking in bottom end welly, though at the time the setup was quite a bit different! The B&W's sounded hugely better in that environment.

I am happy enough with movie performance of my current setup with the exception of LFE though that is due to my rooms poor current layout and lack of places to site the BK. I am hoping the advanced EQ features of these newer receivers will help with this a little. Pure stereo performance is good to my ears now having had the same setup for a few years.
    Of course, with an outlay like this an improvement in stereo performance would be nice! I will likely be considering a speaker upgrade a few months down the line though that'd be in stages. Fronts, centre, then rears. I have no desire for more than 5.1.
    Ideally the new AVR will improve in sonic performance from what I have now but leave me wanting more from my speakers!

9. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I would highly recommend replacing the speakers first. Get the best you can, then look at the electronics. Otherwise, you'll probably find that you will be replacing the AVR again once you have got the speakers.

If you do want to go ahead and replace the AVR now, then it sounds like you will benefit from XT32 and Sub EQ HT. So the Onkyo 3008 or a Denon 4311 would be worth paying more for.

10. LadFromWales

LadFromWales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'll likely stick with the same signature when I come to upgrade the speakers, so changing the receiver first shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd imagine good speakers would be wasted without good Room EQ, and I wouldn't mind some more inputs. Currently I have PS3 Xbox SkyHD and HTPC, one too many for my receiver, which of course only handles HDMI pass through so I've also got optical cables running for each, so no HD audio.

Having only had experience of Kef and B&W for speakers, and Naim and Cambridge Audio for amplification, would changing the signature of the speakers be worthwhile prior to changing the receiver. For stereo I currently use no EQ and enjoy the curve towards the lower end that the B&W/CA combination brings. I don't know which brings the warmth. I'd like to say I know a little about audio but my experience is very limited :(

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    You'll notice the greater change in terms of warmth, brightness etc with speakers as opposed to amplification.

If you want more warmth then it is easier to achieve by changing the speakers than it is via changing the amp.

12. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Room EQ tends to level the playing field a fair amount, by removing certain characteristics - as it flattens the curve. I do still agree with dante01 though, that speakers will usually make more of a difference than amplification, especially when room EQ isn't used.

13. LadFromWales

LadFromWales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What brands of speakers are best paired with Yamaha, Marantz, and perhaps the Onkyo.

I don't really need more warmth than my current combo provides, though anything that can make an improvement in the reproduction of electronic and rock music would be a gain. I realize audio is very subjective and in the ear of the beholder, but having not much of a clue, I need to absorb what information I can find before I visit the shops. None anywhere near me here though :(

I was set on getting a new receiver first, though things could go either way! The main reason for even thinking about upgrading my receiver is for the newer features and extra inputs, though it needs to make an audible improvement from what I've got now. Listening to music for long periods of time can sometimes feel tiring or fatiguing. What would cause this? It's difficult without having another reference point.

14. LadFromWales

LadFromWales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am leaning more towards the Yamaha and Marantz. I can only find the Onkyo on eBay, and for £999, I don't fancy taking my chances!

I really am finding it difficult to pick between the Yamaha and Marantz. The Y appears to have more features, better audio streaming support for one. But which would remain the most composed when giving stereo 2.0 some welly? I rarely play music loud nowadays, but knowing my CA is capable of it I'd like to be sure it's replacement is capable of the same and more!

Speaker upgrade path will likely be towards B&W 685/6 or the CM series if I am extra patient, or MA RX's. From what I understand, both Yamaha and Marantz are warm sounding receivers, and should be paired with clinical/bright speakers like B&W/MA or perhaps neutral speakers?

Am I right in thinking that both my B&W's and CA receiver lean towards bright which could be the cause of fatigue or tiredness I feel after extended listening sessions?

Thanks for all your advice all :)

15. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have tried RX8 and CM8's with my Marantz SR8001, and i found both way too warm and lacking in life.

I have always been told and read and heard B&W to be warm and when put with the warmish sounding Marantz it was pretty uninspring. The newer RX range are somewhat easier going than the RS series and again they were a little warm sounding with the Marantz..

I'm looking to ditch the Marantz and go for a Pioneer or Onkyo, then re-audition the RX6 and CM8 at home.

Which again is where this thread leaves me confused, That BlueFalcon says that the 3008 is more musical than the Marantz and Yamaha, which goes against everything I have read and every delaer I have spoken too. I'm lead to believe the Onkyo is more forward and bright sounding like Pioneer hence my consideration of these. What I want to knwo is what the information is founded on about the Onkyo? I had a discussion at Superfi today about specifically this and the guy said the Onkyo is the least musical, he would chose the Pioneer over the 2, and Yamaha if music was most of concern. They don't do the Marantz..

16. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    Both Monitor Audio and B&W speakers are generally regarded as being clinical in nature and not warm. Both manufacturers have the famed audio signature of speakers manufactured by UK speaker manufacturers.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  17. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I know MA are, but they tried to rectify this with the new tweeter. I disagree about B&W, everyone I ask says they verge on warm, at the very most neautral, but usually warm. I felt the 603 was warm and the CM certainly came across that way in my house.

18. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    Rectify? The signature sound is the desired output, not something Monitor Audio would want to discard. Monitor Audio's entire notoriety is based on their signature sound. B&W are even more clinical than Monitor Audio and can be problematic especially in the mid range if paired unsympathetically.

19. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Well they had a reputation for being hard to partner with anything that wasnt warmer or at best neutral, so they softened the tweetr (read improve if you like) to make them easier to partner and therefore more sellable.

I didn't find the B&W clinical in anyway, unless my understanding of clinical is off somewhat. The midrange is what the CM's are reknowned for so why would the be where they are most unsympathetic?

So what is good partnering equipment then. because my Marantz certainly didn't gel, so I think they need something much more open and forward.

20. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,124

I can't say I agree with your apraisal of either the Monitor Audio or the B&W speakers, but anyway, try Dali with your Marantz ;)

21. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I like what I heard of some Dali's, but not got a chance based on their looks unfortunately!

Got a set of RX6's on it now, and initial impressions are uninspiring, too warm still. However, I'm considering a Onkyo or Pioneer amp to replace the Marantz, so maybe that will liven proceedings up?!

22. markymiles

markymiles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,339
    I didn't like the RX's when paired with my Yamaha 3900. Probably describe them the same as you, sounded dull, a bit heavy and slow, not a good match at all. I was upgrading at the time from the BR range and if I'm honest thought the BR was a better pairing.

I know David from Frank Harvey had a Pioneer/RX combination and raved about it so that may be worth a try.