Yamaha RX-V2700 Owners thread

1080p / 24 problems on the Yamaha 2700 amp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, just read the HCC review and it seems very positive. Whilst at work today, I borrowed a What Hifi mag from the store next door to check out that review you mentioned, the thing is I don't normally go by any of the reviews published in these magazines but surprisingly I found myself agreeing with a lot of what the reviewer said particularly with regard to the 'bright' sounding nature of the amp - it seems they actually took the time out to listen to it. However, HCC's comments regarding the Pure Direct mode seems perhaps a little over enthusiastic, agree about the dynamics, rhythm and power but this is all spoilt imo by the harshness of the mid to top end and therefore not 'utterly infectious' as the reviewer claims. Perhaps the different conclusions came about due to the other factors used in their reviews e.g. speakers, dacs, cables, rooms, etc....

Thanks for sharing your nice minireview MI55ION. Come back and post then you have tryed the yapo with 2 channel.

Is that supposed to improve the sound for 2 channel playback?

Is that supposed to improve the sound for 2 channel playback?

Honosly, i realy dont know, but i want to know how different it is from "normal" sound, as music is importent to me

Honosly, i realy dont know, but i want to know how different it is from "normal" sound, as music is importent to me

I think 'normal' is a matter of personal taste, from what you hear and experience yourself... this is where a demo at your dealers with your preferred speakers could help.

My understanding is that the Pure Direct mode bypasses all unnecessary processing and keeps the signal clean leaving the amp to do just one job i.e. amplify, I wouldn't have it any other way with 2 channel playback.

MI55ION

I see you describe your amp as bright and with as you call it "zheng" sound. My current amp pioneer AX10i does exactly behave as you as you describe the 2700, but maybe its normal, i dont know, am not an audiofhile man with all the knowledge about this subject. Quess it boils down to personal tastes

Hi. I wish to purchase my first AV system to go with Panny plasma.I am pretty much decided to buy V2700. Although speakers will be a personal choice, can anyone please tell me which speakers they have or would recommend. I can then arrange a demo and pick one.
I want to go for 5.1 and my budget for speakers is around 1000 pounds. I do not wish to for anything too big ( wife and room wouldn't alllow)
Has anyone used kef 3005 series with 2700?
Thanks

Anuj

MI55ION

I see you describe your amp as bright and with as you call it "zheng" sound. My current amp pioneer AX10i does exactly behave as you as you describe the 2700, but maybe its normal, i dont know, am not an audiofhile man with all the knowledge about this subject. Quess it boils down to personal tastes

In that context, what you're describing as 'normal' I'd attribute to the majority of low to middle of the range av amps as having that sort of sound particularly from the big names like Yam, Pio and perhaps even Denon. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no stretch of the mind any sort of audiophile, but this is just something I've picked up after endless upgrades. The CA340a in comparison just sounds sweeter, warmer and just a bit more musical, these maybe subtle differences but I notice it and like that sort of sound which unfortunately means that my next audio upgrade will have to be a stereo amp that sounds like the CA340a but with more power... oh dear, where does it end. :suicide:

Hi. I wish to purchase my first AV system to go with Panny plasma.I am pretty much decided to buy V2700. Although speakers will be a personal choice, can anyone please tell me which speakers they have or would recommend. I can then arrange a demo and pick one.
I want to go for 5.1 and my budget for speakers is around 1000 pounds. I do not wish to for anything too big ( wife and room wouldn't alllow)
Thanks

I planning myself to buy the 2700 and change my "hard to run" Infinitys kappa 600 with the kef 3005 sett, but i want 7.1 setup, i hope this would bee an nice combinaton

I am very interested in the 2700 I just have one concern. I have already purchased my speakers and they are a mixture when it comes to impendance. They are from Podspeakers and the fronts are megapods rated at 4 ohm the rears are minipods rated at 4 ohm while the center is a cinepod rated at 8 ohms. As far as I understand the Yamaha has only a choice of 6 or 8 ohms. Do you think it would be compatible with my speakers or am I likely to encounter any sort of problems?

Thanks

I planning myself to buy the 2700 and change my "hard to run" Infinitys kappa 600 with the kef 3005 sett, but i want 7.1 setup, i hope this would bee an nice combinaton

Lo All first post

I'm in the same siutation myself and have been directed towards the following mini theater speaker packages, trying to get back-to-back demos is proving difficult though;

Kef KHT 3005/5005.2 with HTB2 sub
B&W MT20 or 30 packages with the PV1 sub
Monitor Audio Radius R90 surrounds, R180 centre and R45 sub.

Any other speaker packages I should be testing :confused:

Thanks

You guys might be better off posting your own threads in the speaker section of the forum.....more chance of a response there :)

I have bought the KEF 3005's for use with the RX-V2700 although it will be another month before I buy the amp.

I have had an audition of the 3005's and the MT20's with this amp and was generally impressed with both packages. I switched between the two a couple of times and could not make up my mind which I preferred. In the end it came down to looks and I preferred the look of the KEF's.

At another location I also had an audition of the 3005's with a big floor standing KEF package and wish I hadn't. I don't know which package the big ones were but they were in a different league to the 3005's but the speakers would dominate any room and I think they were well over £3000.

If you are around London you can buy the 3005's for £799 at Hi Spek which has shops in Brentwood and St Albans

Hi

The 2700 has no cooling fan.

Call me if you want, I'll let you know the cause of the shutdown - I doubt it's temperature related.

Regards

Chris Moseley
Yamaha UK

Had a quick look round - how do I find out how to call you?

Can the 2700 output video that it has received over hdmi over component?

Been looking at receivers for a while and this one seems like a really good option. I have a HD DVD and a PS3 so I am interested both in HDMI capabilities and the newer soundformats. Using my equipment via HDMI to a Sanyo Z4 projector.

My question is simple, does this receiver have what I need (and it looks like it does)? Is it possible that I am better off just waiting for newer receivers that will have HDMI 1.3?

I am very interested in the 2700 I just have one concern. I have already purchased my speakers and they are a mixture when it comes to impendance. They are from Podspeakers and the fronts are megapods rated at 4 ohm the rears are minipods rated at 4 ohm while the center is a cinepod rated at 8 ohms. As far as I understand the Yamaha has only a choice of 6 or 8 ohms. Do you think it would be compatible with my speakers or am I likely to encounter any sort of problems?

Dont worry. They will be fine with the 2700. Leave the impedance setting as it is out of the box.

Got mine setup over the weekend. Am currently running in my Monitor Audio Silver RS package.

Didn't get any discount on the amp, well half price on the dock. But the chap did knock 25% of the speaker package, 2xRS1 2xRS6, 1xRS-LCR, RSW12. They margin is 32% by the way.

I'm quite impressed so far but will be unable to give it the full run-in until I move into my new house in December.

Video scaling is good, noticeable differences between 720p and 1080i. I zoomed into a scene in Seven near the end could see it was sharper. The 1080i is quite stable as well.

The iPod dock works well, very nice sound from it.

Any questions and I'll answer where I can.

Jimbob

Hi Jimbob,

I just bought a 5.1 speaker set (Acoustic Energy Aego T) and they soud ok on my simple stereo set-up.

I (think I)'ll be buying the big Yamaha (the 2700 for its networking capabilities) but I'm not sure if I will like the surround speakers enough for stereo music. So my idea is to use the two extra channels for stereo.

How can I hook these up on the RX-V2700 ?
As zone 2 speakers (without subwoofer support) ?
As 7.1 / 2.1 setup (with my stereo speakers working as part of the surround set-up) ?

What's possible here ? What would you recommend ? :)

Been looking at receivers for a while and this one seems like a really good option. I have a HD DVD and a PS3 so I am interested both in HDMI capabilities and the newer soundformats. Using my equipment via HDMI to a Sanyo Z4 projector.

My question is simple, does this receiver have what I need (and it looks like it does)? Is it possible that I am better off just waiting for newer receivers that will have HDMI 1.3?

Good luck waiting for a 1.3 receiver - you might be some time.

The Yammy has 5.1 analogue inputs to get Tru sound out of BluRay/HD players and you can do the subwoofer LFE boost manually so you will be catered for.

Bartjo - I'd definitely go for the 7.1 option.

As long as the speakers are fairly well matched, although the YPAO should iron things out.

You'll also get Pure Direct mode thru your fronts which IMO sounds very good for 2 channel music.

On another note, I was forced to use the Night mode the other day as I was watching movies late. It basically cuts out the really highs and the really lows but keeps the volume the same (ish). That means the neighbours don't complain when things blow up on screen. Quite nifty.

got a quick question if anyone can answer

i got my 2700 on friday and its been connected to kef 3005s the question is i seem to get sound through all my speakers ok but on the display it only has the l + r speaker lit up? any guesses?

its when watching dvd's

Derek

Can the 2700 output video that it has received over hdmi over component?

Hi

This would require removing the HDCP protection - which is not allowed so this is not possible.

Regards

Chris Moseley
Yamaha UK

got a quick question if anyone can answer

i got my 2700 on friday and its been connected to kef 3005s the question is i seem to get sound through all my speakers ok but on the display it only has the l + r speaker lit up? any guesses?

its when watching dvd's

Derek

Hi

It's only receiving Left and Right info.

This could be due to the conections you have used between DVD and amp (ensure you have a digital connection in place), or could be the settings in your DVD player. Ensure they are set to "bitstream" or "all".

Regards

Chris Moseley
Yamaha UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom