Yamaha RX-V2600 banana plugs in UK?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by postie, Aug 23, 2006.

Tags:
  1. postie

postie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't like to distrust the manual which says banana plug speaker connections are not available on the UK model of the Yamaha RX-V2600,

but . . . is it possible? There is a small hole in the centre of the connection knob, nowhere near 4mm though.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
  3. Kendalbeefcake

Kendalbeefcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,

I've got a Yammy 750 and agonised over the exact same thing; If you push the plugs in there is a sickening "crunch" :eek: as the plastic gives way but after that it's fine..It just shows the build quality of the thing that it is able to take that kind of torsional stress. I've moved my amp and cables several times and it doesn't seem to be any worse for it. I used the plug to "break" the tabs rather than a screw driver or stanley knife on the grounds that it more likely to damage it or more likely myself!

All the best!

4. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just open up the holes with a sharp 4mm drill bit rather than place any force on them. Either works though.

5. postie

postie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who answered. A deep intake of breath, some careful poking around and I have 10 connected banana plugs!

Great!

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    I know you've sorted it now but these plastic inserts usually can be pulled out with a small set of pliers or weddled out with a small screwdriver.

Personally i would not push them in incase they become wedged in.

7. Chris Moseley

Chris Moseley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322

Hi All

Do not do as suggested above - it wil break the terminals. If you wish to use banana plugs, see the other posts above which suggest pushing the plugs INWARDS.

Regards

Chris Moseley
    Yamaha UK

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Chris

Is this method of "removal" sudgested in your manual?

I(and plenty of others on this and other forums) have removed these bungs in this way with various makes of receivers/amps & speakers without damaging the terminals, perhaps manufacturers should point out the correct way to remove them safely(I have never seen instructions in any manual yet).

Having said that I haven't had a Yamaha amp for around 13 yrs maybe your amps are different.

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    different companies approach the blocking of the banana plug entrance differently....

its a rather annoying ruling for the UK as our power plugs obviously wouldnt fit in, but because we have to be part of the EU it means we follow their rules and some of their countries power plugs could potentially be stuck in the speaker sockets (in other words some beauracrat needed a payrise and came up with the idea...perhaps someone did make the mistake...oh dear....a pox on us for one idiot....)

anyhow, Denon amps use small inserts, like little round straight pipes....you get them out by using a self tapping screw (ie a woodscrew) and turning it in enough to bite, then just pull out.........the Yammys apparently you just push in with the banana plug......not sure what other manufacturers do..all i know is its an annoying piece of H&S PC ideocracy......scuse the rant but it vexes me that people would honestly think that rather than plug a power plug in to the obvious looking power port you should plug it in to the red and black terminals of which you have 5, 6 or 7 sets of...oh sure....that looks like a power socket????....

ok...heh...time to moderate myself here and stop typing...lol