1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V2500 / sibling models cooling fan behavior?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zacabeb, Jan 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm worried that something isn't right with my RX-V2500, because the fan does not spin even when I set it to "continuous" mode (it's among the options where you also set speaker impedance).

The manual says that the fan will spin continuously in this mode regardless of temperature, giving the impression it would start spinning as soon as you turn on the receiver. What I'm wondering is if what the option really does is keep the fan spinning only after the receiver gets hot enough to turn it on, whereas in the "auto" mode it would turn off again after the receiver cooled down. I'm not sure about this, and Yamaha Scandinavia haven't been able to help much as they weren't even aware the RX-V2500 had a cooling fan in the first place. :rolleyes:

Is this behavior normal for the cooling fan and do the other related models (RX-V1500, 2400 and 1400) behave the same way?

The fan itself does work, I've tested it in the diagnostics menu and it spins fine then, so it's not broken or obstructed in any way.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    My 2500 fan hasn't come on yet and it gets a bit hot. I'm sure if there was a problem the unit would shut down as thats how they are designed.

Whats continueous mode, i haven't read the manual yet as yamaha make really bad manuals and remotes, but the amp is great and thats what counts.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have never found a fan on the 1400.

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The fan is located between the power transformer and the heatsinks. It sucks in air from the grille on the left, through the clear plastic cover around the power transformer, and blows it through the heatsinks to a duct at the other end, which redirects the flow up and out through the upper grille. When forcing it to spin in the diagnostics mode, it cools down the amp very quickly but naturally also makes some noise. I guess for that reason they keep it off unless when it's absolutely needed.

The continuous mode is set by keeping the STRAIGHT/EFFECT button on the receiver pressed while turning it on, which puts you in the same menu where you select the speaker impedance. Turning the program knob there reveals other options, including toggling the fan mode between "AUTO" or "CONT.". There seems to be no difference between those modes, which is what puzzles me.

5. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've ever heard the fan come on with my 1400 and it's had some serious seshions, wish the same could be said for my PCs!!

6. Cimba

Cimba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any news because i've the same problem with my 2500.

How can i test the fan in the diagnostic mode? I have the Pronto and the IR-Code for this, but wasen't in there and before i kill him with this.

Is there maybe a documantation for this mode?

7. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    Cimba - Who are what do you want to kill?

8. Cimba

Cimba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know, what options are possible in the diagnostic menu, at TV service menus, it is for example sometimes possible to kill the device with invalid values.