Yamaha RX-V2500 - Setting speaker impedance for bi-wiring

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 5tratocaster, Mar 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. 5tratocaster

5tratocaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Yamaha RX-V2500. The speaker impedance can be switched to either 6 or 8 ohms.
    My main speakers are 8 ohm and the centre is 6 ohm.
    In the instruction manual it says to set the impedance to '6 ohm min.' for speakers that are 6 ohm and above. Should I therefore run the amp at 6ohm rather than 8 ohm to accommodate the centre speaker and will my main speakers be OK iat that level?
    It gets more complicated.
    The instructions for bi-wiring say to use both A and B speaker terminals and have both turned on, but on the back of the amp it says speaker load when both A and B speakers are turned on should be either 12 or 16 ohms (presumably depending on whether the amp is set to 6 or 8 ohms). Will my main speakers present too high a load if I bi-wire them this way or is it likely that the individual speakers (i.e. tweeter and mid/bass units) are rated at 16 ohms and thus the whole speaker with crossover rated at 8 ohms?
    I'm confused. Please help in very simple English.
    Geoff

2. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I biwired my kef's but did not use A and B, I connected both to A, set impedance to 8Ohms, cranked it up and there were no smoke signals:thumbsup: . While not the last word in amplification, the Yamaha has enough current delivery to manage your set up. What speakers are you using?

3. 5tratocaster

5tratocaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Celestion 300s for the main and Eltax Dipoles for the rear, both rated at 8 ohms. My centre is a Ruark Dialogue II rated at 6 ohms.
    Do I leave the amp on its default setting of 8 ohms to match the majority of the speakers, or set it to 6 ohms to match the lowest?
    I know I risk overheating the amp if I run it a high levels with a lower impedance speaker, but what will be the effect on the speakers?
    With a muscular amp like the Yamaha, does it really matter that much. Will there be any effect on sound quality running the amp at 6 ohms into 8 ohm speakers?
    Geoff

4. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO you should be fine with default setting of 8 Ohms.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It doesn't really matter much. If you set the amp to 6 ohms, it means that you will never get quite as much power output as you would set to 8, but I guess the amp has more than enough anyway, so you'll never notice it.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The setting doesn't change anything in regards to the speakers (or their impedance) themselves, it just reduces the max. output power of the amp to protect if from overloading.
    I reckon you could set it to 8 Ohm since it's only the center that has a slightly lower impedance, thus it's only one channel and doesn't strain the amp too much. (Had you e.g. 4 Ohm front speakers I would surely recommend the 6 Ohm setting).

The A and B 12/16 Ohm condition only applies if you use two pair of speakers. If only one pair of speakers is used the impedance (as 'seen' by the amp) does not change, regardless if they are bi-wired or not. So 8 Ohm speakers remain 8 Ohm in both cases.
    As well using A and B terminals does not make any difference with one pair of speakers when bi-wired - for the amp all remains the same. :)