1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V2500 + Monitor Audio Radius

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by somu, Feb 24, 2005.

1. somu

somu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I've been doing some research for a new HC setup.

I currently have a Tosh 36ZP18Q TV and a SD-210 DVD player. The TV has an onboard decoder, and I run this with the supplied speakers, less than ideal, but hey.

Anyway, the setup I had in mind was -
    - Amp: Yamaha RX-V2500 (from Germany) or the Marantz 7400 (if still avail for £400!)
    - Fronts: Monitor Audio Radius 270s
    - Centre: MA Radius 180s
    - Surround: MA Radius 90s
    - Sub: MA Radius 360 or MJ Acoustics REF 100 or Velodyne CHT-10

I do need to arrange some auditions, and need to convince the missus that this is money well spent ;) but prior to that, I wanted to ask a few questions -

- Does anyone have experience running the Yamaha 2500 against the MA Radius? I seem to remember several posts on the Marantz 7400/Denon 3805 with the Radius setup, but none with this specific amp.

- Any recommendations on the sub?

Thanks for your help.

2. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using MA Radius through a Pioneer 1014 Amp and they are excellent. I would suggest that you consider the R225 instead of the R180. It makes a large difference to the centre channel sound and only another £50.

3. BlackMeister

BlackMeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with Mattyboy the 225 complements the 270s much better, which is the set up I have (see my post). But IMO definitely change the sub, I went for the Rel Stampede but the Rel Q150E (which the shop lent me till mine comes in) is equally excellent. I use the 3805, can't say I demoed any other amp as not realy practical when demoing 3 sets of speakers, but The amp works fantastically with the speakers, sounds pure, warm and right. Plus the remote on the 3805 is worth the money on its own!

4. somu

somu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D agree on the remote on the 3805, I guess I'm tempted by the price on a yamaha 2500 when sourced from Germany.

I take your comment re: the 225 vs. the 180 - so does the MA 180 centre complement the 90s better?

Mattyboy, can you point me to a review of the Pioneer 1014?

5. BlackMeister

BlackMeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate has the R90s with 180 Centre but he does not have it set up yet. The general rule would be to buy as good a centre speaker as you can, as this is what you will be listening to most of the time if u r using the set up for dvds tv etc. But I am not sure if the 225 would stand out too much as it would give out a lot more base than the r90s. The 90 go to 85hz, 180 60hz and 225 55hz, as usual you would need to do your own sound test. As for the Amp I am a big fan of buying stuff in the UK from a main dealer, I have had problems of buying stuff from other sources, I now want some peace of mind in my purchases, i.e customer support. So I would go for the 3805...gotta consider that remote!!!

6. somu

somu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 3805 is way outside my budget - I can stretch up to 500 odd quid - the only reason I was talking about the Yammy 2500 was the silly prices in Germany (incl. delivery.)

Judging by the response to this thread, it appears that this amp + the speaker combo has not been tested out. Is the 2500 considered 'overkill' for the MA Radius 270/225/90 setup?

I am a newbie here, please bear with me if I'm not asking the right questions.

7. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    RDT123 has a radius 360 sub for sale, it could save you some pennies

As he also has MA RADIUS speakers with a 3805, I would say the radius set would be fine

Try a pm for his opinion as the 2500 and 3805 are roughly similar based on the Audioholics reviews ;)

8. BlackMeister

BlackMeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the Yammy 2500 is similar to the 3805 then I don’t think it is overkill. The 3805 is rated at 120W per channel and the 225 and 270s are also rated at 120W, I have taken the system up to -10 db and the sound was just as pure with no distortion. As for the Radius 360 sub, I didn't rate it hence, I went for the Rel Stampede, which I have just played the final battle scene in Attack of the Clones, and at just 65% the house was shaking!!!! Fantastic, expecting a call from the neighbours later!!

9. somu

somu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It looks like I'll have to book a demo with my local sevenoaks on a 270/225/90 combo with the yammy 2500 and the denon 3805. Does anyone know if/when the MkII 360 sub is out? I might try out a MJ Ref100 or a Rel Quake as well.

Incidentally, will the Velodyne CHT-10 fit well with the above setup?

Thanks for your help so far!

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    THe Mk2 Radius 360 sub is already out, we have had ours in the shop for about 2 months now.