Yamaha RX-V2085 Firmware Update

ChillWill02

Novice Member
Hello I have a Yamaha RX-V2085 AV receiver I have noticed each time I get a notice of new firmware and I installed it and I don't see that much or any difference.
So today I decided to do a factory reset of ALL my setting and download the latest firmware onto a USB drive:

1. I did a factory reset of ALL My setting
2. I download the latest firmware onto a USB drive
3. I updated my firmware using the USB drive
4. After the firmware was finish I did another factory reset off my setting
5. I did a fresh SETUP NO backup just fresh

WOW what a difference the RX-V2085 has never sounded better it is LOUDER Sharper and the sounds it sounds like a difference AV receiver. I hope this will help some else.. You will be amazed of the difference.

dante01

Distinguished Member
A factory reset would not erase any previous firmware revisions. The revisions remain despite you invoking a reset.

Most firmware updates will not result in anything drastically different. Most are minor revisions addressing issues you may not even be encountering. Many are in associations with features you may not be using or aren't even present in the region you bought the unit.

All you've really done is erase all your previous configurations. I'd suggest your issue had nothing to do with the firmware and the improvements are more than likely simply due to you recalibrating the AV receiver and reconfiguring the settings.

ChillWill02

Novice Member
I never said it would erase a previous firmware version. What I was trying to explain a fresh installation is always best when updating your firmware.

So for anyone that will try this method I guarantee your AV receiver will perform better after a clean firmware installation.

rccarguy2

I never said it would erase a previous firmware version. What I was trying to explain a fresh installation is always best when updating your firmware.

So for anyone that will try this method I guarantee your AV receiver will perform better after a clean firmware installation.

A avr is not a windows operating system

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd not suggest anyone has to erase their previous settings if and when installing new firmware, not unless the manufacturer advises you to do so.

You are not in any position to guarantee that anyone's setup will sound better if they factory reset their AV receiver.

If it doesn't sound better will you be compensating me for the time and the trouble caused by erasing my previous settings?

Don't make promises you are not in the position to make or keep!

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
As i'd inferred earlier in the thread, many updates wont actually always effect the unit's operational capabilities and may in fact relate to issues associated with models sold in other regions.

It should be noted that the most recent update issued for the RX-V2085 would only reallistically effect US and Canadian models:

RX-A1080/RX-V1085/RX-A2080/RX-V2085/RX-A3080/RX-V3085 Firmware Update Ver.1.96​

Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features for your AV pre-amplifier.
This firmware includes
  1. SiriusXM playback stability improvement (U.S.A. and Canada only)

You could technically not even bother with this particular update if in the UK because the UK models aren't satellite radio enabled and wouldn't have any ability to use SiriusXM.

As to the installation of such software or other firmware revisions, Yamaha publish a guide:

No mention of having to factory reset your AV receiver is made in that guide. If there were potential benefits associated with doing so then why would Yamaha not divulge this information? It would be as much in their interests to improve the performance of their products as it is in the interest of their customers.

Last edited:

ChillWill02

Novice Member
I'd not suggest anyone has to erase their previous settings if and when installing new firmware, not unless the manufacturer advises you to do so.

You are not in any position to guarantee that anyone's setup will sound better if they factory reset their AV receiver.

Well my suggestion to you if you don’t have 15 minutes well don’t try it. I was trying to help by the way I am an Engineer. You rather argue and debate then to try something you happen tried.

If it doesn't sound better will you be compensating me for the time and the trouble caused by erasing my previous settings?

Don't make promises you are not in the position to make or keep!

dante01

Distinguished Member
by the way I am an Engineer.

And?

So you will be compensating anyone who resets their Av receiver and if they don't experience an improvement in performance? You've posted a guarantee in writting and are technically obligated to such if someone were to persue the matter.

If Yamaha were of the same opinion as yourself then they'd be telling their customers to do as you suggest. They don't and I'm pretty sure that their engineers are more experienced than you when it comes to what would be best practice when updating the products they designed?

Sorry, but there's no requirement to factory reset an AV receiver if and when updating the firmware. I'm not stopping you from doing as you please, but I'd suggest others do not follow in your footsteps, because there's nothing to gain by doing so.

By the way, I'm the king of Lapland. So what?

How do you know I haven't tried it?

Last edited:

ChillWill02

Novice Member
It never seems to amaze me, the people that don't know, have all the answers in the world, that why your occupation is what it is, and mine is what it is.

By the way this was just a suggestion that worked for me, no one said you had to try it. So if you don't think it will work then don't do it geez..

rccarguy2

Only reason a firmware update would improve sound if there was something seriously broke with earlier firmware, like DAC filter, high jitter, increased THD, incorrect decoding and bass management, etc.

It has been shown firmware update that improves some of these can make a difference on a bench test, but whether you'd notice it?

Resetting unit won't make it sound better unless you've messed up settings.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The manufacturer would ordinarilly suggest you reset the AVR if and when a revision addresses issues that may have previously effected the elements which that revision addresses.

As I've suggested, if you'd were experience anything beneficial from resetting your AVR if and when updating it then the manufacturer would already be advising the owners do so. This would be as much to enhance the reputation of that manufacturer and the quality of the audio performance associated with their products as it would be done in order to make the audio sound better to you the customer.

Yamaha give no such advice so you can conclude that no, no such reset is required.

Even if the revision addresses the software associated with calibration, then why reset the unit and not simply run the calibration again. Again, if this were required then Yamaha would post as much in the notes associated with the update. They've not posted any such guidance.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd also have to question why you think LOUDER is better. AS an engineer haven't you ever measured the levels and weren't they correct prior to the update?

Remenber, you are the one who'd suggested that you being an engineer is of some importance.

All you've really exhibited is that recalibrating your AV receiver may have yielded better results than when you initially did so. This could simply be due to the calibration and how you performed it the first time around? Nothing to do with factory resetting the receiver.

Last edited:

ChillWill02

Novice Member
I'd also have to question why you think LOUDER is better. AS an engineer haven't you ever measured the levels and weren't they correct prior to the update?

Remenber, you are the one who'd suggested that you being an engineer is of some importance.

All you've really exhibited is that recalibrating your AV receiver may have yielded better results than when you initially did so. This could simply be due to the calibration and how you performed it the first time around? Nothing to do with factory resetting the receiver.
Yawn.. just some Trolls. Unreal

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yawn, just some pretend central heating engineer trying to suggest that they know more than they actually do.

Unreal.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom