Question Yamaha RX-V2067 upgrade options

shailesh1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading my Yamaha so I can pass through my 3D movies and potentially 4K, UHD, in the future. My current setup is:

Monitor Audio Radius 250 for fronts and centre
Monitor Audio Radius 90 for the rears
BK Monolith Sub
OLED65G6V TV
HTPC

I am currently running a KabelDirekt 10m HDMI Cable compatible with HDMI 2.0a/b, 2.0 direct from the HTPC to my TV and using the optical out to connect to the Yamaha amp for audio. I want to move away from this setup to get full HD audio quality from the HDMI cable to the amp rather than using an optical cable.

The other thing I noticed is the HDMI cable from the HTPC to the TV is loose at the HTPC end, so the connection isn't great and I think I am having issues with the 3D images because of it. I am also looking to upgrade the graphics card from the existing Palit GTX960.

I have looked at the Denon AVR-X4300H and the Yamaha RX-A1060 as possible replacements but am not sure I want to spend that much. Are there any cheaper alternatives that I could look at that wouldn't compromise on the audio quality?

Thanks,
Shailesh

If you want cool running and reliability stick with Yamaha. I splashed out and upgraded my V2067 to a A3060 as I managed to get it at a great price as it was the last one in my local dealer. Given the A1060 is £895 or less at the moment (call dealers for best price) I can't think you will be happy with a lesser receiver. Just use Amazon high speed HDMI cables as they seem to work fine for me even with 4K material.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look around to see how much I can get the A1060 for.

Hello,

Apologies for raising up an old thread. I never did get round to upgrading the receiver due to my mum being really ill. Thankfully she recovered.

I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Marantz SR7012
Yamaha RX-A2070
Yamaha RX-A3060

I really want to have the ability to use eARC so I can use HDMI port 2 on my TV to watch Netflix in 4K and I also want to remove the cable I have connected directly to the TV from my HTPC and have everything running through the receiver.

I will eventually get some atmos speakers but will mean trying to find a way to hide the speaker cables. I will probably also invest in some bass traps and diffusers also.

Which receiver would give me the best sound, in your opinion?

Thanks,
Shailesh

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look around to see how much I can get the A1060 for.

The RXA2060 would be a more comparable option as a replacement for your current receiver. You could at one point get one for as liittle as £1K, but stocks are noe a lot scarcer and the cheapest I could find one for was £1.5K:
http://www.avlounge.co.uk/yamaha-rxa2060-9-2-channel-av-receiver

You get better value for your money if going with tlast years A3060 model over this years A2070. You can now get the A3060 for as little as £1,400, but you'll have to get a move on and buy one now or they'll be none left to buy.

Open Box Yamaha RX-A3060 - Black - Ref: 1586770

You can still watch Netflix on your TV and use a receiver to handle the audio without the need foe eARC. Does your TV include a Netflix app that can access Atmos encoded Dolby Digital + content? Does your TV include eARC? Your TV will output DD+ via conventional ARC and wouldn't require eARC to convey DD+. The RXA3060 can apparently handle DD+ accessed via aconventional ARC connection without the need for eARC.

Last edited:
I don't think the Yamaha RX-Ax060 models have e-arc. I am sure @dante01 will correct me if I have that wrong.

But, as an alternative, as you are using a HTPC as your source, it is very easy to run separate HDMI cables from a dual HDMI graphics card, eg GT 1050 for approx £100, one to the TV for 4K video, and one to your AVR for HD audio. Likewise, if you were to buy a 4K/UHD disc player, they have dual HDMI outputs for the same purpose.

This won't enable you to pass through HD audio sound from your TV to an AVR as eARC would, but as eARC is very new, the TV's and AVR's that support it are currently at premium pricing. If you could wait a few months, the prices are likely to drop, and meanwhile a £100 graphics card should be a good workaround for you.

I don't think the Yamaha RX-Ax060 models have e-arc. I am sure @dante01 will correct me if I have that wrong.

No they don't, but the RXA3050 and the A3060 do accept DD+ via conventional ARC. THe OLED TV being used will also convey DD+ via conventional ARC.

I'm assuming he wants eARC in order to access the Atmos encoded DD+ audio associated with some Netflix content?

I think I like the sound of getting the A3060 over the A2070. That was my preference after reading some more reviews.

Oh, I didn't realise e-arc was a new feature. I know my TV has four HDMI 2.0a inputs, the second of which supports ARC (Audio Return Channel), I was hoping I could use this?

My current graphics card is GeForce GTX 960 which does not have dual HDMI, so I am using an optical cable for the audio and I need to change this as I am not getting the best out of BluRay movies I am watching.

No they don't, but the RXA3050 and the A3060 do accept DD+ via conventional ARC. THe OLED TV being used will also convey DD+ via conventional ARC.

I'm assuming he wants eARC in order to access the Atmos encoded DD+ audio associated with some Netflix content?

Atmos would be nice but as I don't have the extra speakers yet, I'll be happy with DD+ via conventional ARC.

Just as a separate thought, could I use the conventional arc with my current RX-V2067?

Ah yes, you did say that you want to connect everything to the AVR, and the workaround I suggested is to not do that!

For me, the advantage of e-ARC, is also for future proofing, in case other streaming services start to provide HD audio with their content, that could then be accessed via the smart TV apps, and passed to the eARC enabled AVR. That, and also the option of connecting sources directly to the TV, where each HDMI input can be calibrated for the source, and still get the HD audio passed through to the amp.

Just as a separate thought, could I use the conventional arc with my current RX-V2067?

Yeah. ARC was introduced with the advent of HDMI version 1.4 which your receiver includes. You should be able to access SD Dolby Digital, DTS and 2 channel PCM audio over an ARC connection using your current receiver. You will not be able to access DD+ though, but this isnt really an issue unless wanting access to Atmos encoded DD+ which yur current receiver cannot process anyway. You will get Dolby Digital 5.1 in association with Netflix content that is encoded with discrete surround sound.

My current graphics card is GeForce GTX 960 which does not have dual HDMI, so I am using an optical cable for the audio and I need to change this as I am not getting the best out of BluRay movies I am watching.

Both DVI and Display Port connections can be converted to HDMI via a passive (cheap) adapter, and can carry both audio and / or video. Might be worth a try?

Both DVI and Display Port connections can be converted to HDMI via a passive (cheap) adapter, and can carry both audio and / or video. Might be worth a try?

DVI is in fact video only so wouldn't enable access to audio if converted to HDMI. You may also experience issues with HDCP if using DVI?

DVI is in fact video only so wouldn't enable access to audio if converted to HDMI. You may also experience issues with HDCP if using DVI?
You would have thought that, but I have got audio out of a DVI port on an Nvidia card using a passive HDMI to DVI adapter. Full HD audio as well. Surprising but true!

Yeah. ARC was introduced with the advent of HDMI version 1.4 which your receiver includes. You should be able to access SD Dolby Digital, DTS and 2 channel PCM audio over an ARC connection using your current receiver. You will not be able to access DD+ though, but this isnt really an issue unless wanting access to Atmos encoded DD+ which yur current receiver cannot process anyway. You will get Dolby Digital 5.1 in association with Netflix content that is encoded with discrete surround sound.

I have just tested this and it does work, which is really good news.

I think I have found a display port adapter I didn't know I had. This does work, so I may not need to upgrade my receiver just yet, although the video and audio is a little out of sync.

Thanks for all your help.

You would have thought that, but I have got audio out of a DVI port on an Nvidia card using a passive HDMI to DVI adapter. Full HD audio as well. Surprising but true!

Do you have a link or model number of the one you bought?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
But, if buying new, I would recommend getting one with dual HDMI ports, and to go with your TV, one that is HDMI 2.

I think this might be the best option. Definitely cheaper than upgrading the receiver :)

I think this might be the best option. Definitely cheaper than upgrading the receiver :)
It looks like graphics cards with dual HDMI 2.0b outputs are a bit thin on the ground and expensive, and aimed at gamers, so potentially have noisy fans. It might be easier to find a card that has one HDMI 2.0b port which you could use for video to match your TV, and then one display port which you could use for audio to the receiver. You should be able to find a passively cooled one, or one with an active fan.

I have the Gigabyte GTX 1050, which has a fan, but never comes on, as is controlled by temperature. Well it came on once, briefly, during a heatwave day in the Summer. I don't have a 4K TV yet though, so I am only using the HDMI out straight to the receiver, but I have tested the display port with an adaptor and it seemed to work okay for either audio or video.

You can use one of these to extract the audio and still convey it via HDMI to the receiver while still having another HDMI connection to the TV.

AVR KEY

You'd only need a graphics card with a single HDMI output.

You can use one of these to extract the audio and still convey it via HDMI to the receiver while still having another HDMI connection to the TV.

AVR KEY

You'd only need a graphics card with a single HDMI output.

Yes, that is another option, although at circa £150 it's not that attractive when I am pretty sure that all modern graphics cards come with at least two outputs, certainly any that have an HDMI 2.0b port will have at least one other HDMI / DVI or Display Port connection thrown in for free.

Yes, that is another option, although at circa £150 it's not that attractive when I am pretty sure that all modern graphics cards come with at least two outputs, certainly any that have an HDMI 2.0b port will have at least one other HDMI / DVI or Display Port connection thrown in for free.

Agreed, I will be doing some research on getting a new graphics card but this device Dante mentioned is a good backup to have.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom