Yamaha RX-V2065 Owners thread

george_t

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just thought I set up this thread. I had RX-V2065 delivered today and have just done a basic set up to my Monitor Audio Silver Series (RS6/LSCR/RSFX/RSW12), with the RS6 left and right channels bi-amped.

Initial thoughts are that I'm delighted. Although it's the first 5.1 system I've owned so I haven't got much to compare it with!

I bought it 'blind' on the basis that Yamaha amps are generally warm sounding, and I've enjoyed their sound in demo set ups. They are also a good match for the bright MA speakers. It also offers lots of the functionality I want to explore, over the coming weeks, and at a fairly good price, it's networkable and supports FLAC audio files.

Hi there,

I've been looking at getting one of these amongst a couple of others, mainly because of the network receiver option.. Are you using this part of the amp and how are you finding it in general so far?

Cheers

I haven't tried the network functionality yet. Overall I'm really pleased with it, but as it's my first receiver I haven't got much to compare it to previously.

I've demoed it to a few visitors and they have all been blown away by how the set up handles anything from blu-ray, MP3 and even standard freesat TV.

Hi I got mine yesterday :smashin: so still doing tweaks at present,
one issue I've got is, what best way to hook up SD TV to it?

Using Virgin V-Box (SD) via scart to RCA into Amp then upscaling to 1080p to Pioneer 5090 through HDMI,
but the picture quality is not as good as the scart lead into the TV?

Is it something I'm doing wrong? when dropped down to 576 picture is much better?

HD TV coming next year with any luck.

Any feed back pls

Thanks P.

Hi I got mine yesterday :smashin: so still doing tweaks at present,
one issue I've got is, what best way to hook up SD TV to it?

Using Virgin V-Box (SD) via scart to RCA into Amp then upscaling to 1080p to Pioneer 5090 through HDMI,
but the picture quality is not as good as the scart lead into the TV?

Is it something I'm doing wrong? when dropped down to 576 picture is much better?

HD TV coming next year with any luck.

Any feed back pls

Thanks P.
With a standard V box you get the best picture quality by connecting by scart directly to the TV and setting the V box to output RGB and use an RGB scart connection on th TV.

Then connect an audio lead from the TV to the amp --- optical or RCA-Phono, depending what the TV has,

The way you have it currently, you are using a composite video connection, which is the lowest of the low for video quality.

No info on the amps display when playing a film with DTS or DTS HD, DolbyTrue HD sound track ?

Should there be some? :rolleyes:

press the option button on the remote, it should let you display certain parameters, like input and surround mode being played

try it

mark

I've had mine for about a month.

Previously had a Denon 3805, but due to various upgrades (Blu-ray, TV, X-box and Mac-mini) culminating in a new HD Projector, needed the HDMI routing and had the requirement for two HDMI's out. The Yamaha outputs both simultanously for TV and/or projector.

Bought blind (on the back of the RX-V1065 review), I must say I am very impressed with the sound. The whole set-up, to my ears, sounds much warmer and is amazing on music or films.

My Dynaudio 70/122c LCRs sound now so good I have recently purchased (from this forum) more Dynaudios to comlete a 7.1 set-up.

The set-up was cumbersome due to a confusing manual (no change there), but the big gain was the loss of cables!

Seriously I lost three bin-bags worth of obsolete wires due to long cable runs for my previous projector (8 m runs of Scart, SVHS, video, component and first gen HDMI/DVI), not to mention the 7.1 and component outputs for various source components, separate power supplies and 'wall warts'. Hi-fi area now compact and very neat, as opposed to the previously spew of cables that overflowed in every direction. Wife v.happy with the result.

After bedding in the Yamaha is a joy, especially when partnered with a Harmony One remote. This is the FIRST (of many) that my wife and eight year old can use without lists of instructions or phone calls when I'm out!

The Mac Mini sounds a bit distorted on digital music, but I understand this is due to the output levels of the TOSLink, and I have reduced this slightly.

Very Happy Yammy owner.:thumbsup:

I'm getting a HD V+box fitted from Virgin at the weekend,

My question is, what is the best way to connect it?

1/ HDMI to the amp (Yammy 2065) to carry video and audio, or

2/ HDMI to the TV (Pioneer 5090) to carry video and audio, then optical lead to the amp?

3/ A combination of the two?

Many thanks P.

Last edited:
I connect my V+ box directly to the amp.

I guess it depends on whether you want to have the amp on everytime you watch your V+ box. If you don't then plug it directly to your TV via HDMI and use the optical lead to connect to your amp.

So no benefit to the picture quality if I go through the amp? :confused:

Seems logical to go into the TV then, (carbon footprint and all that) but I think that this amp has HDMI through? and dose not need to be fully on?
correct me if I am wrong though.

Thanks for the feedback :smashin:

I don't have your amp but I think you're right about it having hdmi pass through on stand by (doube check the manual) so it's really up to you how you want to go about it.

I don't think picture quality via the amp will make much difference but perhaps someone else who has these can confirm this?

I don't think the RX-V2065 has a video processor that will benefit the picture sent through it.

I'd go HDMI from your V+box to the amp. I've got a Pansonic blu-ray/freesat tuner and I use HDMI from that to the amp and then HDMI from the amp to the TV.

IMHO if you've got home cinema speakers why compromise by using the rubbish speakers built into your TV? I even find watching the news is better through a decent set of speakers.

I am getting one of these for christmas:D. But my question is why would you want to watch anything and not have the amp on????

Can any existing owners confirm whether this amp does indeed have hdmi passthrough whilst on standby?

There are times when I, or more usually my wife, just wants to watch tv without firing up the amp.

:)

Can any existing owners confirm whether this amp does indeed have hdmi passthrough whilst on standby?

There are times when I, or more usually my wife, just wants to watch tv without firing up the amp.

It does, but not the best implementation imho.

It will pass through the signal from the last hdmi input selected prior to switching the amp off.

As there is no real benefit from having sky hd going through the amp personally I would continue to have it connected direct to the tv.

Using the dual outputs of the amp to feed TV & PJ is why I want the SkyHD run through it.

Seems a very short thread this one: I would have thought that there would be a few more 2065 owners than this.

Anyway, ordered mine at the weekend from Quantum UK :thumbsup:who price matched to £699 :smashin:. Deleivered Tuesday evening with a full tracking service, I'm quite glad I've been snowed in since!

First impressions: good build quality, good looks, easy to connect up. However, setting up seems counter intuitive at first, but once you've navigated the menus a few times you get the hang of it. Annoyingly I changed one of the advanced setup options that scrubs all your settings when the receiver is turned off and had to start all over again. Auto set-up gets distances fine but set the levels quite strangely whilst also setting all my speakers to large and the crossover to 40Hz. I'll be getting the sound meter out and trying it the old fashioned way, with everything set to small and crossover at 80Hz.

Sound: watched a couple of Blu-Rays and the detail and precision are excellent, significantly better than my old Onkyo. Listened via my iPod Dock and that sounds decent as well. CD's (albeit played via my Blu-Ray player) sound good as well, and the surround steering effects when playing on the Xbox360 are excellent.

Overall, very impressed. If only I could decipher which sound modes to use with which source.

Hi Steve,

Now the price has come down a bit I think you will see more people get these now,

I'm with you on (which sound modes to use) I'm still trying different ways :facepalm:

Have you put a pucker Flac file through it yet? It sounds pretty good :smashin:

Enjoy,

Paul.

Hi I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and it all works great except I can't get it to play music from my (DLNA cert) NAS. It will play from a PC library but with the NAS (Netgear Stora) it just greys out the music tracks. I might add they are the same tracks copied directly from the PC to the NAS. GRRRRRR, any ideas ??? :lease:

It will play from a PC library but with the NAS (Netgear Stora) it just greys out the music tracks.

Have you put the tracks in the FamilyMusic folder and shared it? Try selecting the FamilyLibrary folder and choose "share with DMA".

I only wish there was playlist support as well. Works with twonkymedia server, but not with the NAS :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom