Yamaha RX-V1800

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by charlie55, Jun 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. charlie55

charlie55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Just bought this about 1 month ago and not used much(waiting on new stand). When stand arrived i put system in it,the amp played 2 films then started shutting itself down.
    I returned AMP to shop and they have sent it to checked out by repair centre my question is are these amps as bombproof as the shop says they are,they are telling me they have never had a Yamaha amp break down and the fault is almost certainly mine.The only place i can think of a short circuit is the speaker terminals but i always use banana plugs so this can't happen.Any idea's

2. maxipax

maxipax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I bought one of these about a month ago as well. Have not yet used mine really cos of work. I chose this amp after a lot of reseach and it did appear to be very good..
    Hope you get on ok
    All the best
    max

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    What speakers are you driving? If they're of a low impedence did you set the Yamaha up to match that impedence (providing it has an impedence switch on the rear)? Did you play the system loud? Was there plenty of clearance above the amp and did you have any kit on top of it?

4. charlie55

charlie55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The speaker set-up is B&W MT-I's
    Shop set imp so i assume it would be correct
    No i do play it loud but not at levels to make me cringe
    Yes
    No
    Did'nt really play much before move to new stand maybe a couple of films and then 1 complete film and 25 mins. of another before it started shutting itself down!

5. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think its safe to assume these things. I know from experience that the Yamaha AV Amps have got very sensitive protection circuits built in. I have even seen a Yamaha Amp shut down with a defective speaker which on its own sounded fine but could only be detected audibly when compared during auto setup of the Yamaha Amp with the other speakers.

From the specs the B&L speakers have nominal impedence of 8 ohms but I also note that they quote 4.8 ohm minimum impedance.

With the sensitivity of the protection circuits I would try setting the Amp for for 6 ohms and see if it helps. (I think with the RX-V1800 one can only select between 8 and 6 ohms.) If in doubt and problems like this happen always set to the lowest impedance and then suck it n see.

Bog

6. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Yamaha's reliability is excellent, maybe even the best in it's class, and has been for years. It's unusual for this level of Yamaha to go faulty, but like anything, not impossible.

7. charlie55

charlie55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Just recieved a phone call from the shop that sold me the Yamaha and they and Yamaha have agreed to replace the amp.
    I still have no idea what the fault was because the shop either have not been told what it was or are not saying. The only reason for the last statement was of thinly veiled hints that i was the cause of the problem!
    I have scaled back my system lately and have set up much bigger systems than the one i now have without damaging anything.
    Anyway thanks for the suggestions on what might have been the cause and i will try and keep you up to date on how the new one behaves.

8. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I'm guessing the store hasn't yet heard what the fault is and are either siding with you and agreeing to exchange the amp, or are just passing on Yamaha's decision. I don't see any reason why the store would hide the reason for the problem. If you were posing a genuine problem yourself, there would be no point in replacing the amp, so i assume it's just a one off fault.

Do let us know if you find out.....i'm sure if you ask them they'll find out for you.