Yamaha RX-V1700 vs Sony STRDA5200ES vs ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by richp, Dec 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. richp

richp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya:

I've been lurking a little while, but I'll be taking the plunge into home cinema very soon so I thought I'd ask for some advice. Having read around the subject a little, I'm thinking the Sony STR-DA5200ES looks like a good candidate for an amp in terms of budget and features, but the Yamaha RX-V1700 also looks like a contender, given it's good reviews in the press. Don't think I can stretch to the RX-V2700, sadly.

Currently the Sony is ahead for me as it has 3 HDMI inputs and, as I understand it, upscales all analog inputs upto 1080p - the Yamaha only deinterlaces analog signals rather than upscaling, and only has 2 HDMI's. I'll probably be running HDMI to a Sony X series LCD and will have a SKY-HD, Cinea DVD player and (eventually) a PS3 to plug in via HDMI and an Xbox360 via component, so 3 inputs is clearly what I need (as a minimum!).

My concern comes down to how it will sound though - I've avoided Sony audio equipement for many years as I've always found them rather harsh - it's been a while, though, and as the 1200ES is getting good reviews I'm hoping things will have improved. I know I need to go and listen to the two, and I think I've found a dealer reasonably close that has both so I'll try to arrange to do that, but I thought I'd ask for opinions here in case anyone has already compared the two, and also ask if anyone can think of other alternatives for me to consider around the £800 mark.

Just to complete the picture, I'm thinking I'll be getting something like the KEF KHT 2005.2 5.1 speaker system, possibly adding that to the old but very smooth pair of PMC TB1's I currently have lying around to get the whole 7.1 experience. That's all the budget will manage at the moment, and I need something I can keep out of the way of my 7-month-old son who'll be running around trying to poke his fingers into expensive things in no time.

Thanks for any advice/thoughts you may have!

Rich

2. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Rich,

Welcome to the forum!:hiya:

I am in the same boat! My Yamaha A2 needs upgrading to give hdmi compatability but is as smooth, rich and warm a sound as you would not believe. I did listen to a 2700 at my local dealer and to be honest would not have swapped even if free of charge based on the sound but obviously need hdmi.

I too am interested in the Sony (bit of a sony fan) but haven't been able to demo one as yet and need to do at the same time as the yammy really.

Will look at importing a 2700 if I decide to buy one - £950 from germany in black (I need black to match the rest of my kit!)

Let us know if you get the chance to listen to the Sony/Yamaha together.

3. richp

richp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spaniard

The 2700 is definitely more suited to my needs, but more expensive than I was hoping to pay... I might audition one anyway, though, as it could be worth the extra cash.

I've decided that with only 2 HDMI inputs, the 1700 really isn't an option for me. However, last night I noticed the Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi-S could be another option at around the same price (£899 list, seems to be available for around £750). That has 4 HDMI ins and got a good write-up in What Home Cinema this month so I've added that to the short list.

I've found a place that has the Pioneer and the Sony and claims to have them both in stock (HiFi Confidential, near Victoria Station in London) so if I can arrange to try them side-by-side there I will. My earlier optimisim about hearing the Yamaha and Sony together seems misplaced, sadly, but if I can get to listen to a 2700 I'll do that too.

4. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Those Kef's work very well with yammys, heard em with the older yammy 2600 and the sound was a lot bigger with movies than one would expect.

5. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The VSX-AX4ASi-S has a bug and can't boost LFE by the required 10dB from a HD source like a Blue-Ray player or HD-DVD. This basically means those low frequency sounds have no clout with this amp. The Yamaha 2700 can be bought in Black for £1099 from the UK including delivery if you know where to look with the 1700 on sale for £750 in Silver. Both available at http://www.hispek.com/ProductList.aspx?SubCat=HI-FI%20SEP^RECEIVER