• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

YAMAHA RX-V1700 Or Not? help!!!!!

tommyav

Ive ordered B&W xt4's for my 5.1 speaker setup and ive been offered the YAMAHA RX-V1700 for £360. I was going to spend around £500-£600 on a current amp (e.g sony denon etc) but have been told these speakers need a powerful amp to get the best from them.
The problem i have is, as i understand this amp does not have have a hd sound but he told me that there is a way around this by using the blu-ray player to produce it??????

Sorry if this sounds really stupid but ive not got a clue about amps!

All i want is a amp that will give me good results from my xt4's in hd sound from my bluray collection!

thanks.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
It's a good amp but overpriced at £360 if it's second hand with no warranty.I would say worth no more than £220-£250 max.

You can get hd sound out of it as long as the player you buy will do LPCM over hdmi.I have a samsung BD1400 and get hd sound from it into my Yammy 2700 amp (the next one up from yours).

kbfern

Distinguished Member
With todays bargains around if you can stretch a bit further the Onk 806 can be had for £450 or less and the 876 like you have spotted at Richers.

Both these options new would be a better bet.:)

tommyav

thanks for advice maybe the shop want to get rid of old amp. I do understand the speakers need a powerful amp so hopefully Onkyo 876 will be powerful enough to run the speakers?!

thanks again:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom