1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V1500; RX-V2500 or DSP-AX750SE?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by obow, Oct 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. obow

obow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newly registered but need some advice. I have slowly been building up my Home Cinema Kit, and have narrowed down my choice of amp to one of three:

1. Yamaha RX-V1500
    2. Yamaha RX-V2500
    3. Yamaha DSP-AX750SE

There is also the possibility of the RX-V1400/2400 as they are seriously reduced in price, but also becoming quite scarce stock wise, hence my choice of three above.

My question is has any one got the new 1500/2500, and if so what are there thoughts/experiences? Also, are these worth getting versus the 750 which cheapest I have seen is £359?

I have seen a couple of reviews of the 1500 so far (What Hi Fi; Home Cinema) and they were both good, but would like more.

Thanks

Peter

2. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Peter,

I can only speak for the Yamaha RX-V2400. I have tested this against the Denon 3805 recently and I preferred the POWER of the 2400 for movies. This can be purchased for £699 now.

The new RX-V2500 will be a penny under £1000 @AVLAND. Is it worth the extra £300? Difficult to tell at this stage. It boasts a little more power and pure direct for 2-channel. Check the link below for a detailed comparison.

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/yamahaRX-V2500receiver.php

If it delivers more than the RX-V2400 it will give the Denon, Pioneer, and perhaps Arcam a run for their money.

Regards

Mark

3. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main difference would be the Pure Direct Mode which i had in my RXV650 & it sounds pretty good for stereo & it's not available on 1400/2400,
    so my recommendetion if u aren't gonna need the power of the 1500/2500 (not gonna use in a very large room) so the AX750SE will do u just fine,coz it has nearly all the feaures of the 1500/2500 & much much cheaper.

4. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think "Pure Direct Mode" = "Direct Stereo" on the 1400 & 2400 :lesson:

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think Yamaha have improved it on the x50 models by switching off the dsp and video channels where as in the x400 series it just bypasses them. Still sounds good though:smashin:

The advantage that the x400 series have is the extra power they can deliver to the amps so the machine can be driven harder for longer without running out of steam and they are also THX select. They also look better:D IMHO the x50 series look like they fell out of the ugly tree and hit a few branches on the way down :rotfl:

6. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sharper;

as "Dfour" said there's a difference between the PureDirectMode & the Direct mode on the 1400/2400.

Dfour
    man LOL,do u know that i really hate the looks of the 1400/2400 & very much likes the looks of the new 650/750 (not the 350/450) LOL.really its matter of taste.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :offtopic:

I prefere the clean lines and lack of butons on the 1400 with all the inputs under the flap out of sight. I feel the x50 series fronts look crwoded and busy. As you said its all a matter of taste:D