1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V1500 & Aego5 System

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MattMcSpirit, Apr 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Guys,

Im really interested in buying an RX-V1500 within the next few months, and hook it up to my Aego 5 system (currently p5). I know i'd do this using the pre-outs on the 1500, but is it gonna sound any good?

Acoustic Energy say that i can simply use the Multipin to 6 RCA Phono cable supplied, from the Pre-outs to the active sub, and then the sub passes all signals to the speakers.

Has anyone got a similar setup and how does it sound? Will it be the most effective, or would there be a better way to hook up, without replacing the speakers?

Any advice would be great, including where to purchase - i was thinking TechnikDirect, for just under £400, but any other suggestions would be good.

Thanks,

2. john<|>nhoj

john<|>nhoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply, but ive already got the p5 system, ive had it for a while, its the amp im thinking of purchasing, and was wondering if there was a better way to link it to the aego 5 system (minus the processor) than using the multipin to RCA supplied?

Cheers,

4. john<|>nhoj

john<|>nhoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

Oh sorry got the wrong end of the stick... could try those places for the amp...

I think the Aego does a similar trick to the Bose by diverting low frequencies to the sub that would usually go to mid-bass driver so the cut off frequency may be too high for the amp to cope with say 250 - 300 Hz (the new Mission M-cubes do this too) If you link the small speakers up to the amp directly without a high pass filter set high enough the cones would be working too hard.

If the main speakers can be HPF (high pass filtered) in the yamaha similar to the aego's (need to speak to AE) then it may be ok. If you get it wrong it may be expensive though...

5. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that John,

The instruction manual with the Aego system does tell you to use the multipin to connect the external amplifier to the sub, and then connect the sub to the speakers, so i guess its best to go down that route for the time being, until i can afford some other speakers!

Cheers,