1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V1400RDS upconvert quality

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by IanThornton, Oct 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. IanThornton

IanThornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Took the plunge today and bought a Yamaha RX-V1400RDS to replace my ancient Sherwood AV Amp. Main reasons were for improved sound (obviously) and the ability to be able to upconvert Sky+ S-Video and therefore leave the plasma input on Component.

I've managed to find picture settings that mean the contrast/brightness/colour is great for both Sky+ and DVD viewing BUT ...

... the upconverted picture from Sky+ doesn't seem quite as crisp as it is if I feed S-Video directly from the Sky+ box into my plasma. Can't quite put my finger on it but some of the finer detail appears to have been lost.

My question is ... if I fork out on a JS Tech RGB->Component box, will it significantly improve the picture quality over either S-Video direct or S-Video upconverted?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

2. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    On the JS Tech box, I would go for is RGB to Plasma VGA for Sky+ leaving component direct for your DVD (if it has the capability).

The amp just passes the signal through it does not improve it any way, so I have been told. I do not use it on my system yet. I think it meant for convenient of switching/upconvert a composite or Svideo signal to components input with out any "loss" in quality.

Hope this helps

3. IanThornton

IanThornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an interesting option (and slightly cheaper than the RGB->YUV option) but it loses me the convenience of pressing one button on the remote to switch between DVD and Sky+.

Will the quality of RGB->VGA noticeably outshine RGB->YUV?

Thanks again,

Ian.

4. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No I think there will be difference.

But I recommend using component direct from the DVD player to the plasma as this "should" give no signal loss as it would not be being switched. It just makes sense to keep to connection direct if possible and switching out of the equation.

But I have not tried the amp for component switching. I only run svideo through it for my SVHS machine and gives me a terrestrial signal for TV if/when Sky fails.