Yamaha RX-V*83 series owners thread

Caminho13

Novice Member
My rxv-683 has been playing up lately. Locked into circuit protect mode a couple times. Then a few days rest with no power I can manage to power it up again for week or two of mild use. The front LED display is also malfunctioning, showing mumble jumble after a couple minutes. Any ideas???
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––​

All firmware is upto date, speaker connections are as they should be.

Last edited:

benali

How to connect headphones without shutting the main sound down, any ideas?
All my devices are into the avr, then hdmi into tv on ARC channel.

gibbsy

How to connect headphones without shutting the main sound down, any ideas?
All my devices are into the avr, then hdmi into tv on ARC channel.
Not by using the headphone jack. A workaround would be using the Zone 2 RCA output to a headphone amp if the zones are indeed mirrored and can be used in conjunction.

benali

Well I'm not sure about zone 2, I will try. But sure it will have some down side.
Mainly I need just a simple solution.
I have tried bluetooth before once, however, I experienced severe lipsync issue.
The main source I need the headphones for is a firestick, so perhaps I just plus the stick into the TV rather than the AVR which seems a shame really.
Its a bit disappointing that a high end avr you cant just get a simultaneous headphone source from.

Hi guys, I just received a Yamaha RX-V683 receiver and noticed that there are no main pre-outs but there are Zone 2 pre-outs. I would like to connect my external Bryston amp to power my 2 front Klipsch towers but struggling to find a way to connect it to this receiver. Can I use the Zone 2 pre-outs for this, or is there another method to connecting an external amp to this receiver?

Much appreciative of any help on this - thanks in advance!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, I just received a Yamaha RX-V683 receiver and noticed that there are no main pre-outs but there are Zone 2 pre-outs. I would like to connect my external Bryston amp to power my 2 front Klipsch towers but struggling to find a way to connect it to this receiver. Can I use the Zone 2 pre-outs for this, or is there another method to connecting an external amp to this receiver?

Much appreciative of any help on this - thanks in advance!

As you yourself have noted, the AV receiver has no main front left and right pre outs so you cannot use an external amp to power the main front left and right speakers. This particular model only has only stereo zone 2 pre outs and a pre out for a main room active sub.

If you use the Zone 2 pre outs then the amplification and the speakers connected to it will not be part of the main room setup. You'd in fact not have any front speakers in the main room unless they are connected to the speaker terminals and powered by the AV receiver's own integral amplification.

The second zone pre outs can only be used to fascilitate a secont 2 channel audio zone.

The only thing I can suggest is to use something akin to the Beresford TC-7220 if intent on sharing the same pair of speakers between 2 different amps.

This wouldn't however allow you to use the external amp to power those speakers in association with your main room surround setup. The 2 setups wouldn't be independant of one another and would simply share the same speakers between them according to the switching.

The last thing I can suggest is that you look into speaker to line level conversion. This would convert the speaker output signals to linre level compliant signals and allow you to connect an external amp to those terminals via a convertor. A line output converter, or LOC for short, converts a speaker-level output signal into an RCA preamp-level signal.

Last edited:
As you yourself have noted, the AV receiver has no main front left and right pre outs so you cannot use an external amp to power the main front left and right speakers. This particular model only has only stereo zone 2 pre outs and a pre out for a main room active sub.

If you use the Zone 2 pre outs then the amplification and the speakers connected to it will not be part of the main room setup. You'd in fact not have any front speakers in the main room unless they are connected to the speaker terminals and powered by the AV receiver's own integral amplification.

The second zone pre outs can only be used to fascilitate a secont 2 channel audio zone.

The only thing I can suggest is to use something akin to the Beresford TC-7220 if intent on sharing the same pair of speakers between 2 different amps.

This wouldn't however allow you to use the external amp to power those speakers in association with your main room surround setup. The 2 setups wouldn't be independant of one another and would simply share the same speakers between them according to the switching.

The last thing I can suggest is that you look into speaker to line level conversion. This would convert the speaker output signals to linre level compliant signals and allow you to connect an external amp to those terminals via a convertor. A line output converter, or LOC for short, converts a speaker-level output signal into an RCA preamp-level signal.

Dante01 - thank you so much for your reply. I have looked into the Beresford TC-7220 and that's exactly what I need so thanks again for the heads-up on that! Will order it this weekend. I am having another issue though that you may be able to help with. I have my smart TV plugged into the HDMI OUT on the receiver and into the ARC HDMI input on the TV. I have my TV SET TOP BOX connected to the HDMI1 input on the receiver. The receiver is set to HDMI CONTROLLER ON so that it will take advantage of the ARC signal when I want to watch something on the smart TV, like NETFLIX etc. The issue I'm having is that whenever I turn on my system, the receiver switches to HDMI 1 and I can hear the sound via the TV SET TOP BOX, but then within 5 seconds it automatically switches to the ARC input (in this case the ARC signal is played through AV1 on the receiver). Is there a way to stop the input setting from automatically switching? I'm assuming that the receiver is picking up a signal from the TV HDMI ARC output and switching to that automatically instead of staying on HDMI 1. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

dante01

Distinguished Member
It is a common issue associated with ARC and caused by ARC's reliance upon HDMI CEC (Cpntrol) for its functionality. HDMI CEC forces the AV receiver to automatically switch itself to the source associated with ARC (AUDIO 1) when it detects the cionnection to the TV. You can negate this behaviour with a DEnon or a Marantz AV receiver, but Yamaha receivers don;t incorporate the additional HDMI settings needed to negate the auto audio switching. THe only way you'd be able to negate this with a Yamaha model is to use a Harmony remote and include additional startup commands in association with activities that switch the AV back to the intended source when engaging that activity via the remote.

Here's such an activity:
snapshot001.jpg

THe SCENE 1 command ensures that the AV receiver is set to the AV1 input to which the TiVo is connected as opposed tho the TV causing the AV receiver to set itself to the AUDIO 1 ARC source.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom