Question Yamaha RX-V 781 speaker volume too high

al2813

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I swapped the Marantz NR1607 with a Yamaha RX-v 781. This is clearly a very configurable receiver. While the Marantz kind of worked "out of the box", the Yamaha seems to require a lot more tweaking and since I am a VERY ignorant starter, I seem to be struggling a bit...

This morning I did my first test of listening to music through the receiver. I have at this stage a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 setup as front speakers. I preferred to spend all the budget I had on getting a decent receiver and even more decent pair of speakers. I will add in the future more speakers when money becomes available, but for now this is what I have (and I still need to get a CD player).

I went through the mic automatic setup script. I also adapted the impedance to 6 Ohm. However when i start playing my "test file" (Pink floyd Dark side of the moon FLAC 96 KHZ 24 bit), the music volume is just tremendous. I pretty much reduced the volume to "zero" and still the music is simply too loud. Surely I am doing something wrong here, but not sure what.....

Last edited:
Found the answer. Again after searching a bit. There's a setting allowing to define minimum and maximum volumes. Solved now. Am starting to really like the Yamaha....

Neither the Marantz or the Yamaha would be calibrated correctly straight out of the box. They both require you to connect your speakers and then run their proprietary calibration.

The relative db master volume you experience using a Yamaha receiver will be some 10db greater than the comparable level on a Denon or Marantz receiver. This is because Yamaha use a reference SPL for their calibration that is louder than that utilised by Audyssey. The Audyssey reference is 75db while the reference used by Yamaha is closer to 85db.

If you find the volume too loud then simply reduce it. AS you've noted, there are configurations that restrict it and also determine the startup volume.

In addition to what Dante01 has said, change the impedance back to 8ohm. 6ohm is just starving your speakers and it's only there to meet US safety standards.

In addition to what Dante01 has said, change the impedance back to 8ohm. 6ohm is just starving your speakers and it's only there to meet US safety standards.
Thanks for the advice!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom