yamaha RX-A8A EARC issue

Kirk44

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi first time posting. I have a Yamaha RX-A8A since This past December. My EARC when watching no longer has a picture only sound. When I switch to stream from the TV I get a picture but only hear the sound from the cable box. It worked perfectly for 6 months then I turned it on the next day and hav e this issue. If I switch to the non EARC HDMI I get a picture and sound from the cable box. When I try to stream I get picture but no sound. Is it possible my EARC HDMI board went bad over night?
Thanks
Kenny

eARC doesn't convey video and repurposes the HDMI connection between your display and the AV receiver to convey just audio from said display back to the AV receiver.

If no longer seeing a picture then it is an issue with your TV and not the AV receiver. As said, eARC doesn't convey video and the AV receiver would have nothing to do with the video while utilising ARC or eARC.

If the issue you are having is that you've simply lost the ability to access the audio in association with sources accessed via the TV via eARC then I'd suggest you try using a different HDMI cable between the TV and your AV receiver. The most common cause of issues associated with ARC or eARC is the cable. AS said, eARC is used to convey the audio associated with content sourced voa the TV from that TV to the AV receiver. If eARC is being used to do this and if you are not getting the associated audio via the AV receiver while the AV receiver is set to its ARC source then try a different HDMI cable.

I highly recommend Amazon\'s own Basics HDMI cables. They are both reliable and affordable.

It helps if you also check that both ARC/eARC and HDMI CEC (control) are engaged onboard both the TV and the AV receiver.

Last edited:
Hi I thought the HDMI cable handled audio and video. I switched cables and still have the same issue. If the same cable moved to the non EARC works doesn't that indicate a problem with the HDMI port? What is the procedure for resetting the reciever to factory? If I do this will I have to re-download firmware updates?

Hi I thought the HDMI cable handled audio and video. I switched cables and still have the same issue. If the same cable moved to the non EARC works doesn't that indicate a problem with the HDMI port? What is the procedure for resetting the reciever to factory? If I do this will I have to re-download firmware updates?

Conventional HDMI does convey both audio and video. ARC stands for Audio REturn Channel and ARC repurposes the HDMI cable so that the TV's HDMI input is used as an output while the AV receiver's HDMI output is rreprposed as a audio input. Only audio would be output from the TV to the AV receiver while using ARC.

ARC is not in use if and when passing video through the AV receiver and out to the TV and is only used when wanting to access audio sourced via the TV. THe source could be via smart apps, the TV's tuner or via other devices connected to other inputs on the TV.

ARC is not HDMI and is simply a feature that can utilise and HDMI connection between 2 ARC enabled devices to convey just audio. HDMI can convey video, but ARC cannot and doesn't.

You need to be more precise as to exactly what it is you are trying to do and what the sources are while trying to do it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom