Yamaha RX-A870 - worth upgrade from RX-V767?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by danryu, Dec 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. danryu

danryu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, finally got myself an account on the forums! :)

I'm wondering if anybody would offer advice on the above upgrade.
    I have a modest mid/entry level AV setup:
    - RX-V767 receiver in 5.1 bi-amped mode
    - Cambridge Audio 650BD Bluray player
    - Monitor Audio RX-1 range 5.1 speakers
    - Rega RP-1 turntable
    - Epson TW3600 projector 1080p + LG tv 1080p displays
    - fireTV/kodi streaming devices

Important to me:
    - I'd like an integrated DAB tuner
    - I'd like direct Bluetooth A2DP audio streaming for convenience
    - want to bi-amp 5.1 and phono input like currently

I don't have very complex requirements beyond that - ie no 4k sources (or displays), no specific Dolby/surround requirements, no multizone etc.

The Yamaha RX-A870 (on various deals at the mo) seems to be the cheapest way of getting all the above. (As far as I can find!)
    So my questions to anybody who has a minute are:

Quality of components / sound : does the RX-A870 represent a noticeable increase in quality of sound, due to the upgrade in components used or otherwise?

HDMI Switching :
    does the updated HDMI support in the RX-A870 mean that I won't have the little HDMI niggles that I have with the RX-V767? (Prob 1: 650BD Bluray player sound cuts out if I turn off/on an HDMI display, even with HDMI control disabled; Prob 2: cutout of sound for up to several seconds when switching between HDMI sources or turning on/off displays)

I'm grateful for any and all feedback.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,651
    I rend to suggest its benefits less than you'd get if you were to go with the higher tier A1070 or 1080 model. Apart from the 4K and Atmos audio abilities, the A870 is that mich different to your current receiver. The A1070 would include superior DACs and a better processor than you'd get with the A870. The A870 is using much the same PSU, components and DACs as those utilised in your current receiver.

The delays you mention will still be present irrespective of which new receiver you look at or who manufacturers it. You'll not get rid of such delays until HDMI version 2.1 is fully implimented and up and running on all devices. The audio cutouts are not normal and I'd suggest it to be an issue with your player or one associated with the HDMI cables being used?

I'd suggest using an AV receiver to bi-amp with a waste of the two channels of amplification required. These 2 channels would be better utilised powering an additional pair of Atmos speakers. There's little to gain by passive bi-amping and an AV receiver and your speakers have no option to impliment active bi-amping.

Why a DAB tuner and not internet radio? Internet radio stations tend to use higher bitrates than the stations available via DAB.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  3. danryu

danryu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks @dante01, exactly what I was after.

You confirm what I'd partially established about the component quality. It's a shame to spend hundreds more on a new receiver without a bump in basic quality, ie in DACs.

Re the HDMI audio cutouts - the more minor issue (audio gap of a second or two when the TV or projector is switched on or off) _seems_ like it's a normal thing - I've assumed it's a bit of re-negotiation / handshake between the devices. A little annoying, would be nice to be gapless. The more major issue of complete audio cut-out on the 650BD Bluray player (again when an HDMI output eg TV is switched on/off) stems, I assume, from the same handshake problem, but the V767<->650BD link doesn't seem to recover in this case. The 650BD needs power cycling for audio to return.
    So I was just curious whether a slightly-updated HDMI profile in the A870 would alleviate any of this awkwardness. Interesting what you say about HDMI 2.1 - I've not investigated that. (How will that help out such situations?)
    Qu: what are the obvious cautionary notes on HDMI cables for switching issues like this?
    All cables used are short run, ie under 1.5m.

And re bi-amping: OK, it's true I don't have the setup to do full active bi-amping (ie with active crossovers etc). I just thought that for the cost of the extra speaker cable, I can at least utilise all 7 amplifiers in the receiver, and potentially open up a little sound gain the process. I'm not yet ready to look at the Atmos extra pair, but you've got me thinking now as well...

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,651
    Yes, the brief delay before the AV receiver latches onto the new HDMI source is due to the time it takes for the AVR to firstly establish an HDMI handshake and then to set its own processing accordingly. THis is unfortunately an inherant issue associated with HDMI as opposed to being a deficiency with your receiver. HDMI version 2.1 has advances that are reportedly supposed to address this, but no device is as yet fully equipped with HDMI version 2.1.

If the dropout you mention is occurring when you power up or down other devices connected to the AVR via HDMI then yes, this too is not a fault and another issue commonly associated with HDMI and its need to handshake. Even if not using an HDMI device, it is still communicating with the AVR if connected via HDMI. If you turn it off or disconnect it then the receiver will automatically reappraise what devices are connected within the HDMI chain and will need to restablish a new HDMI handshake with the devices still in use. You'd still experience this with a new AV receiver.

HDMI version 2.1 should result in instantaneous device switching with no delay.

The cables are not responsible for the issues you are having. THe issue I was concerned about was the signal dropout, but you are not in fact experiencing signal dropouts and it is just an HDMI renegotiation.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,651
    If you want to improve the amplification associated with your front speakers then you should look into using an external power amp or an integrated stereo amp with HT bypass. THis will yield far better results than bi-amping using the AVR's own internal amplification will.

Maybe something to consider in the future?

6. danryu

danryu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much appreciated @dante01. That's helped convince me to hold out for a proper upgrade.
    :thumbsup: