Yamaha RX-A870 7.2-Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve Withers, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,977
    2. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,051
      The SR5012 is actually more comparable to the Denon AVRX2400 as opposed to the AVRX3400 you initially suggested as being an alternative to the Yamaha. There's not really a comparable Marantz model and you'd need to go with the 9 channel SR6012 to get the second HDMI zone and Audyssey XT32 you'd get with the Denon AVRX3400. These features are absent from the SR5012. If you are seriously suggesting that the SR5012 is a viable alternative to the Yamaha then you'd also then have to suggest that the Denon AVRX2400 is also an option because both the AVRX2400 and the SR5012 are very similar to one another, more similar than the SR5012 is to the AVRX3400 for example. It is also worth mentioning that you'd not get the pre outs for all channels with the SR5012 that you'd get with the Yamaha or the Denon AVRX3400.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    3. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +487
      Thanks for the review Steve! But there are couple things that caught my eyes.. One was that Dante mentioned. Others;

"The A870 appears to have had its amplification beefed up since last year's model, at least based on Yamaha's quoted specs."

Umm i compared the USA & EU models from Yamaha site (860 vs 870) and the power output specs are identical as one can easily assume we get only more features each year, not a jump in power output.

MusicCast RX-A870 - Specs - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - Other European Countries

MusicCast RX-A860 - Specs - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - Other European Countries

"The X3400 also isn't limited in terms of its HDMI inputs and whilst it might not be quite as powerful as the A870 it is £200 cheaper."

This is kinda wild presumtion as there is measured data for both Denon X3300 and Yamaha A860 compared head to head and Denon has the hand when it comes to performance (continuos power, dynamic power and the ability to drive 4ohm speakers in 7ch system plus the protection circuit doesn`t behave as aggressive and higher measured preamp output voltage which was problematic for Yamaha). And we can easily assume that neither model internal psu parts haven`t been changed from last year, just a new sticker and couple new features. So what has been said from A860 should apply to A870 aswell. While it might be harsh to read, people have the right to know what they are getting. Still i have no doub that this avr will be more than enough with efficient speaker system in normal living room use. It`s just that most of people knows with Yamaha that the goodies starts with 1000 series. Noticeable jump in weight etc..

4. ryanvincent

ryanvincent
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +176
      Excellent review as always many thanks Steve.

5. nicfaz

nicfaz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +40
      I have to agree with Gasp3621 and add to it by saying unless you do some proper testing of outputs (lab testing, or at bare minimum connecting 7 hard-to-drive speakers and seeing if the sound changes), then these reviews are a lot less useful than they should be. With height channels, all manufacturers are under pressure to cut corners on the amplification and by simply testing with some unnamed and (presumably) easy-to-drive speakers, the review is undermined.

6. MrThaDj

MrThaDj

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      What speakers where used with the amp?

7. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,977
      B&W 600 series for the seven surround channels and JBL Control Ones for the four overhead channels.

8. Coruja3D

Coruja3D

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +61
      Thanks for the review Steve. My first thoughts are it seems rather over-priced for the feature set. Especially with only 3 of the HDMI ports properly supporting what is now de facto standard of 4K60p 4:4:4, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, Rec.2020, and HDCP 2.2. That seems like some penny pinching by Yamaha and considerably cheaper receivers I think can best this aspect at least.

9. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,051

I think the existence of an Aventage 8xx model has resulted in Yamaha dropping the much cheaper RXV7xx model from their line up? The two models were practically the same apart from the additional foot and construction associated with the Aventage models. If there were still the option of an RXV783 then I'd have suggested it being more value for money and closer to a price you'd ordinarilly be paying for a receiver of this level than the A870. Yamaha appear to have removed the option of an RXV783 from the equation though, probably to make the A870 seem more appealing to those wanting both pre outs as well as dual HDMI outputs?

I think it makes more sense to add an additional £100 to your budget and look at the RXA1070 with its superior DACs and DSP capabilities rather than buy into the A870?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    10. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +546
      After you mentioned this in another thread a few months back it certainly looks like it. Shame, the RX-V781 is a really good and flexible unit for its price, but the 860 and 781 seem very similar functionality wise. I guess it creates a much clearer separation between the musiccast line and the aventage line. (pre-outs, better DAC, RS-232 control etc). I still find it annoying that you have to go up to 2070 or even 3070 to get flexible amp assignment even if you only actually need 7ch processing.

For me, I probably would not have bought Yamaha at all if it wasn't for the 781 at its price - at least not then as I needed the pre-outs which are more commonly available at lower price points from Denon and Marantz.
      My plan was always 'good-enough' AV sound and good flexible functionality for AV and eventually much better sound for HiFi with the intent of adding a good integrated amp that plays nice with AV (Yamaha S-A1100 most likely) to suit my other sound sources for purely music use which where I most care about sound.

11. robertus23

robertus23

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for the review Steve
      I have replace my Yamaha RX-A 730 with Yamaha RX-A 870
      The main reasons for the replacement are: 4K pass (30 vs 60 fps), HDR and Dolby Atmos. The difference between the RX-A 730 and the RX-A 870 is big. Also, the sound quality is better. That's already my fourth Yamaha and never before I did not disappoint (cross my fingers).