Yamaha rx-a860 no Atmos

violator000

Hi guys, I have tricky problem, which is driving me nuts.

I have Yamaha rx-a860 - connected to Acer HD projector. I can stream movies from Netflix via Latest Google Chromecast TV - no issues with dolby atmos. Perfect.
Trouble starts while playing Dolby Atmos Video from laptop connected via HDMI. I am just playing atmos demos with VLC Player.
1.) When Laptop is connected to Yamaha and Projector is turned off ---> No problems - in the windows out audio devices - Yamaha -and Dolby Atmos is working.
2.) When Laptop is connected to Yamaha and Projector is turned on ---> Problem - in the windows out audio devices - Acer Projector - which has no support for Atmos.
Can't change audio device to Yamaha, as it is not listed anymore.
So basically I have no Atmos while projector is ON, as the projector has only Dolby Digital and DTS option. I can't find a way to choose Yamaha as audio device.
I have found menu in the Yamaha, where you can disable audio out - but it does not make any difference on/off.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 16

dante01

Distinguished Member
Windows PCs require that Dolby MAT be used so that the Atmos medata is output with multichannel PCM. You cannot bitstream Atmos with channel based DD_ or TrueHD and have to use Dolby MAT.

THe Projector or any other display has no influence upon the audio you can get via the AV receiver as long as you've not configured the AV receiver to passthrough audio via HDMI? You'd be advised not to do this. The sources will not use the PJ's EDID relative to audio unless actually configuring the AV receiver to pass audio through.

If you've set audio output to on for the HDMI outputs then turn it off. If you've already done this then note that Atmps is ordinarilly output from a Windows PC with multichannel PCM . The AV receiver should still indicate when it detects Atmos though. The PJ has no influence upon the audio if not passing the audio through to it.

Last edited:

violator000

Hi @dante01,
I was actually hoping for your response, as I admire you knowledge and patience. However, I've got a feeling I was not clear in my previous post.

To be clear - Dolby Atmos works fine with Windows Laptop - VLC Player - connected to Yamaha via HDMI as long the projector is turned off. As soon I will press power button on the projector the Laptop is changing audio device from YAMAHA TO ACER and Dolby Atmos is GONE.

If you see image attached the audio output for the HDMI is off for Both HDMIs 1 and 2, but still for some reason Projector is seen in windows as final audio device (when is on).
Do you know where in Yamaha menu I can turn it off?

In addition there is no problem with the same projector and same settings when watching ATMOS content from Chromecast TV. I can watch movies from Netflix on this projector with Atmos working fine.

Chromecast - Yamaha - Projector OFF - ATMOS WORKS
Chromecast - Yamaha - Projector ON - ATMOS WORKS

Laptop - Yamaha - Projector OFF - ATMOS WORKS
Laptop - Yamaha - Projector ON - NO ATMOS

Please help !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
No idea, but it shouldn't be doing it. THelaptop should be output the same audio formats regardless of what device is connected to the HDMI outputs if not actually passing audio through the AV receiver. THe source shoul;dn't be restricting the type or types of audio you can access in such circumstances. There appears to be some form of descrepancy with the HDMI communication between your laptop and the PJ? I can only assume that the laptop is for some reason still using the PJ's EDID to determine what audio it can output despite the fact that it should be using the AV receiver's EDID if not passing audio through the AV receiver. I'd suggest that either your laptop's manufacturer or the PJ's manufacturer have in some way impliment HDMI incorrectly?

Maybe an EDID manager would help, but I'm no expert on such matters?

There's also this article that may be worth taking a look at:

I know the issue is only apparent when the PJ is engaged, but still worth investigating the laptop and its configurations.

You also state it is not working while using VLC. I'm assuming that VLC is okay and you get Atmos via it specicically when not using the PJ?

Last edited:

violator000

You also state it is not working while using VLC. I'm assuming that VLC is okay and you get Atmos via it specicically when not using the PJ?

I have tried on different laptop now - same story.

When I play Dolby Atmos/DTS X via VLC player on any Laptop connected to Amplituner and the PJ is turned off I can see in windows YAMAHA RX860 as "sound device" (small speaker icon bottom right corner in windows).
Then I press power button on PJ... few seconds and then YAMAHA RX860 disappears from "sound devices" list and it's replaced by ACER projector. So I can choose only laptop speakers or Acer as sound output.
From that moment Atmos is not working as ACER has only DD support.

On the other hand Chromecast works fine. Just installed Tidal HiFi - Atmos works great while projector in on.

I am attaching video showing the issue.<----------------

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest that the issue is with VLC and not the devices you are using.

Last edited:

violator000

Definitely not. I have check that. Windows is changing output device as soon the projector is turned on regardless if VLC is present or not. I don't need to start vlc. Is Windows detecting the output device and not giving me the option to choose Yamaha. It's simply replacing the Yamaha with Acer on the system level.

Somehow I need to find the way to stop audio passing through the amp to the projector. Maybe there is some HDMI TO HDMI converter which I can install between on the cable between YAMAHA and ACER ??

dante01

Distinguished Member
Definitely not. I have check that. Windows is changing output device as soon the projector is turned on regardless if VLC is present or not. I don't need to start vlc. Is Windows detecting the output device and not giving me the option to choose Yamaha. It's simply replacing the Yamaha with Acer on the system level.

Somehow I need to find the way to stop audio passing through the amp to the projector. Maybe there is some HDMI TO HDMI converter which I can install between on the cable between YAMAHA and ACER ??

Audio isn't passing through the AV receiver to the protector. There's an issue with the source not correctly acknow;edging this and using the PJ's EDID and not the AV receiver's EDID when determining what audio it can output and convey.

EDID management?

No idea how you'd utilise this or other such devices or whether it would actually resolve the issue you are having though?

I also find it strange that only you appear to have had this issue. If it was an inherant issue associated with your receiver then I'm pretty sure that there would be other people raising this on boards such as this? This kind of suggests that it is something tou are doing as opposed to being an actual fault or issue with the devices you are using?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom