Yamaha RX-A780: will it get HDR10+ support through FW upgrade?

AlexanderVS

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Yamaha RX-A780 supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision but not HDR10+. Do you think there is a chance it can get HDR10+ passthrough support in the next firmware release?

Any ideas regarding what would be the best communications channel to chase Yamaha for such upgrade?

Thank you.

No.

Support for HDR10+ is something reserved for the latest models and the models that with proceed them.

Yamaha have no plans to update HDMI version 2.0 models to give them such support. The p;frt AV receivers simply do not have the hardware capacity to be updated in a manner that woud allow this.

You'll basically need an HDMI version 2.! equipped model if you want support for HDR10+.

No.

Support for HDR10+ is something reserved for the latest models and the models that with proceed them.

Yamaha have no plans to update HDMI version 2.0 models to give them such support. The p;frt AV receivers simply do not have the hardware capacity to be updated in a manner that woud allow this.

You'll basically need an HDMI version 2.! equipped model if you want support for HDR10+.
How could HDFury Integral pass-trough DV, HDR10+ and HLG over HDMI 2.0?
HDMI 2.1 is relatuive only to 120GHz and may be VRR ALLM and other gaming features.
DV, HDR10+ and HLG + ALL HD Audio could pass-trough HDMI 2.0 not a problem. But if the companies FW update older unots who is going to byu the newer ones?

I'm not saying it isn't possible to passthrough HDR10+ via HDMI version 2.0 or 2.0b, what I'm saying is that the Yamaha AV receivers they made prior to HDMI version 2.1 cannot be updated in the manner required and haven't the capacity to be updated to give them this support. The same is true of Denon and Marantz models predating HDMI version 2.1.

AV receivers come equipped with a variety of HDMI chipsets and limited amounts of memory designated to the storage of the its software. You cannot always fit the revisions required to allow some features onto all AV receivers or implement all revision relative to all chipsets.

No, the older Yamaha models will not be updated to give them support for HDR10+.

The older models do not have the capacity to be revised in the manner required.

Nobody is realistically interested in HDR10+ anyway. It hasn't exactly taken the world by storm and doesn't appear to be getting any more popular?

Last edited:
I'm not saying it isn't possible to passthrough HDR10+ via HDMI version 2.0 or 2.0b, what I'm saying is that the Yamaha AV receivers they made prior to HDMI version 2.1 cannot be updated and hasn't the capacity to be updated to give them this support. The same is true of Denon and Marantz models predating HDMI version 2.1.

AV receivers come equipped with a variety of HDMI chipsets and limited amounts of memory designated to the storage of the its software. You cannot always fit the revisions required to allow some features onto all AV receivers or implement all revision relative to all chipsets.

No, the older Yamaha models will not be updated to give them support for HDR10+.

Thanks for that :)
It make sence put that way :)

Thank you very much for your answers.

Yamaha have no plans to update HDMI version 2.0 models to give them such support.

I was actually considering newer A4A and A6A receivers but did not like their cheaper looking and smaller display (and - to certain extent - overall design too) compared to RX780... So, I stayed on RX780.

In order to keep full video (such as Dolby Vision, HDR10+) and audio capabilities (uncompressed HD formats) I had to connect media player directly to TV and use eARC in that way:

eARC diargam OLED935_rs.png

Actually, it's working OK except Philips OLED936 is buggy in terms of switching the audio back to the TV speakers.

But if the companies FW update older unots who is going to byu the newer ones?
Yes, agree, but it also a matter of customer loyalty which may stay with manufacturer for a longer time if they see extended support and interesting FW upgrades.

BTW, Yamaha added eARC support to this receiver via FW upgrade.

Nobody is realistically interested in HDR10+ anyway. It hasn't exactly taken the world by storm and doesn't appear to be getting any more popular?
Maybe you are right: as per bluray.com, the number of Dolby Vision Blu-ray disks is by almost 5 times higher than HDR10+. (And often if there is HDR10+ on certaion Blu-ray - there is also Dolby Vision present too).

And, BTW, I tried but could not see the difference between HDR10 and HDR10+ ))

So, maybe I shall consider forgetting about HDR10+ and just switch to "normal" connection scheme via AV receiver. Hope that passthrough via AV receiver cannot deteriorate the quality of picture even a bit.

Thank you very much for your answers.

I was actually considering newer A4A and A6A receivers but did not like their cheaper looking and smaller display (and - to certain extent - overall design too) compared to RX780... So, I stayed on RX780.

In order to keep full video (such as Dolby Vision, HDR10+) and audio capabilities (uncompressed HD formats) I had to connect media player directly to TV and use eARC in that way:

View attachment 1637994

Actually, it's working OK except Philips OLED936 is buggy in terms of switching the audio back to the TV speakers.

Yes, agree, but it also a matter of customer loyalty which may stay with manufacturer for a longer time if they see extended support and interesting FW upgrades.

BTW, Yamaha added eARC support to this receiver via FW upgrade.

Maybe you are right: as per bluray.com, the number of Dolby Vision Blu-ray disks is by almost 5 times higher than HDR10+. (And often if there is HDR10+ on certaion Blu-ray - there is also Dolby Vision present too).

And, BTW, I tried but could not see the difference between HDR10 and HDR10+ ))

So, maybe I shall consider forgetting about HDR10+ and just switch to "normal" connection scheme via AV receiver. Hope that passthrough via AV receiver cannot deteriorate the quality of picture even a bit.
That conection TV eArc to ARV ARC can not support FULL HD Audio! The signal you got is either PCM or DD+. PCM although concidered as one to one is good for stereo only as it does not carry the information to which channel to direct for correct sound to be directionaly heared. The AVR tries to sort it out but in action movies with plenty of sounds it can not match and you start to hear sound out of place to whe picture. You rather stay with DD+ although 5.1 ONLY supported and leave the AVR (if you have the option) to do virtual REARs and Virtual Heights (if you have atmos) as that way is much better. You got exact 5.1 via DD+ and the AVR upmix rears and heights much more accurately.
I am is same sutuation. I was concideryng to gey HDFury Integral2 or Vertex2 to divert the Audio directly to the AVR but as my Yamaha RX-A3050 is of age I desided to save some bucks and update my AVR later on this Year.
Most of the Movies I watch are with Dolby Atmos track and my Panasonic eArc to ARC that down in DD+ Atmos which is good enough for timebeing till get me new AVR.
HDR10+ is as good as DV. Make sure you actualy watch in HDR10+ and not plain HDR10 plus HDR10+ is 4.4.4 while DV is 4.2.2 athough we can not see that diverence visualy but techicaly beter colour on paper. You might not see it that way because HDR10+ does not have own viewng mod as DV and you might watch it on different setting of your liking. I personaly enjoy it as I preffer slightly brighter picture setting than DV. Watch Alita Batle Angel in HDR10+ in Day time and same in DV in the evening.
I would concider HDR10+ as Daytime whatching while DV as an evening / night wathching.

That conection TV eArc to ARV ARC can not support FULL HD Audio! The signal you got is either PCM or DD+.
:) It did not work until I changed digital out format on the TV to "Multichannel bypass", so that now it works fine for all HD audio formats:

DTS-HD MA_cr.png
DD TrueHD_cr.png

:) It did not work until I changed digital out format on the TV to "Multichannel bypass", so that now it works fine for all HD audio formats:

View attachment 1638047View attachment 1638048
Just checked my options and unfortunately for me my signal on all options is converetd to DD+ or PCM which I presume is the TV (Panasonic JZ2000) limitation.
I thought it is eARC to ARC issue.
Thanks!

P.S. Your Phillips TV has support for DTS-HD MA. Goods for you :)

Just checked my options and unfortunately for me my signal on all options is converetd to DD+ or PCM which I presume is the TV (Panasonic JZ2000) limitation.
Actually it took me some time to find this setting ))

And thanks for sharing your opinion and impressions about HDR10+ vs DV :)

How could HDFury Integral pass-trough DV, HDR10+ and HLG over HDMI 2.0?
HDMI 2.1 is relatuive only to 120GHz and may be VRR ALLM and other gaming features.
DV, HDR10+ and HLG + ALL HD Audio could pass-trough HDMI 2.0 not a problem. But if the companies FW update older unots who is going to byu the newer ones?
It isn't a hardware restriction. OEM provided firmware for the HDMI side might not allow it but HDR10+ with HDMI 2.0 is generally possible with a software update (Arcam and JBL do it with their current HDMI 2.0 implementation but I'm guessing having Samsung as a parent company is an important factor)

I'm not saying it isn't possible to passthrough HDR10+ via HDMI version 2.0 or 2.0b, what I'm saying is that the Yamaha AV receivers they made prior to HDMI version 2.1 cannot be updated in the manner required and haven't the capacity to be updated to give them this support. The same is true of Denon and Marantz models predating HDMI version 2.1.

At the last count there was only 53 titles that had HDR10+. I've got 12 in my collection.

I think ultimately HDR10+ will be confined only to Amazon Prime content. :)

At the last count there was only 53 titles that had HDR10+. I've got 12 in my collection.

I agree most of amazon's own content is in HDR10+ the Expance for example my avr doesn't pass HDR10 + so I now have my 4k firestick connected directly to my tvs hdmi input

Ther upcoming AMD Processors had support and proces HDR10+ integrated in. If they do not restrict it to GAMING ONLY it might pick up on PC side and that could be game changer for HDR10+.
It could pick up coute easy if DTS combine forces with HDR10+ as to oppose Dolby.
HDR10+ is good but still no free as adveticed in the way. Not as expencive as DV but when you add sound licencing Dolby or DTS on top it is on par. But than againg is against Dolby ALL IN ONE solution and quite likely, byu one and get one free or half price + the support from Dolby and yopu see that HDR10+ is on the loosing side from asll angles.
I personaly preffer HDR10+ and DTS-HD MA but than againg ALL major TV makers provide support for Dolby and handfull for DTS-HD.
HDR10+ is in loose-loose situation which I regred.

Nothing to do with Yamaha purposefully not updating their older models. The older models simply cannot be updated to give them the ability to add HDR10+.

That is the fact of the matter.

As said, the receivers simply haven't the abuility to be updated to facilitate HDR10+.

The older models simply cannot be updated to give them the ability to add HDR10+.

That is the fact of the matter.

As said, the receivers simply haven't the abuility to be updated to facilitate HDR10+.
Could you please elaborate why? Is technical realization of handling of dynamic metadata layer of HDR10+ much more complex than MEL/FEL layers of Dolby Vision (which is supported in A780)?

I'm not in a position to give you a precise answer, but there is a myth that it is possible to continually update devices and add new features via firmware revisions. This simply is not the case.

The hardware onboard the AV receiver and the actual memory cannot be modified or expanded using a firmware recision. If the AV receiver hadn't the memory to actually allow for the storage of the software required to facilitate a feature it was never designed for or advertised as having then you'd not be able to add that feature. Neither am I versed in what actual hardware requirements are needed to enable the conveyance of HDR10+?

I'd tend to suggest that the receivers simply haven't the free memory to allow the kind of software revisions that would be required to allow support for HDR10+?

Neither should you expect to get new features a manufacturer never advertised their products to have after buying it.

Last edited:
Indeed. It's a hard enough challenge getting them to enable the features they did say a product would have :)

Indeed. It's a hard enough challenge getting them to enable the features they did say a product would have :)

Yeah, but you would have reason to moan about that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom