Yamaha RX-A780 issue with rear speakers

sebdelmar

Novice Member
I have a 5.1 setup, and the built in test tone function works correctly through all speakers. However, when I play content (e.g. YouTube 5.1 test, or a movie) the surround channels plays through the front speakers! I tried the Direct setup and various surround decoder. Thank you in advance.

dante01

Distinguished Member
YouTube is 2 channel stereo and doesn't carry multichannel formatted audio. Those uploading multichannel audio to YouTube are misguided in thinking it will be hosted as such there. YouTune downmix everything they host to just 2 channel stereo.

Don't use YouTube to test multichannel setups.

sebdelmar

Novice Member
Thank you Dante - I guess I should have known that! Is there a way to test surround with other content? (Streaming, Blu Ray)?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Pop a blu-ray disc with a multichannel soundtrack into you player and use that. If you've Netflix, they've test screens that will also include multichannel audio test tones. You'd need to be sourcing it via a device that can output multichannel audio in association with Netflix though.

You can buy test discs that include test tones, but they are not cheap.

I'd suggest that if you are engaging the AV receiver's own test tone and if it is eminating from all the speakers present when expected then you'r setup is as it should be.

sebdelmar

Novice Member
Pop a blu-ray disc with a multichannel soundtrack into you player and use that. If you've Netflix, they've test screens that will also include multichannel audio test tones. You'd need to be sourcing it via a device that can output multichannel audio in association with Netflix though.

You can buy test discs that include test tones, but they are not cheap.

I'd suggest that if you are engaging the AV receiver's own test tone and if it is eminating from all the speakers present when expected then you'r setup is as it should be.
Thanks so much! I will try that.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom