Yamaha Rx-A780 - Background Noise or Second source playing at same time

jirwin33

Novice Member
Reaction score
First post so sorry in advance. I have a Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A780. When my TiVo box is plugged into my receiver (by hdmi) I hear two audio sources coming out of my speakers. The first source is my intended Tivo audio and the second source sounds like an AM religious radio station. The second audio source is at a significant lower level but loud enough to be annoying. If I cycle through various different devices/sources (Xbox, Airplay, chromecast) I still hear the same second low level source. If I mute the receiver, the second source is still audible (but the main source mutes). However, if I unplug the tivo’s HDMI cable from the receiver, the second low level audio source goes away and I hear just my Xbox/Airplay source.

Also, I have plugged in other tivo boxes and the same issue continues regardless of the tivo box connected. Notably, I have the same tivos connected to other receivers in my home without problems. (Just on the RX-A780).

Any ideas about what is causing this or, even better, any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Where are you located?
A reasonably accurate village or town suburb name should suffice.
If you live near enough to a high power AM transmitter site and this can easily happen when rectification of the AM signal happens due to a poor connection or screening of signals.

Disconnection of the TiVo hdmi cable = it goes away = that is the root cause so a call to Virgin technical may be in order for them to investigate and sort out why?

Also may be worth asking Yamaha technical for advice?

Naturally, swapping that hdmi cable for an alternative may fix it as well, and should be tried first; if you haven't already.

Where are you located?
A reasonably accurate village or town suburb name should suffice.
If you live near enough to a high power AM transmitter site and this can easily happen when rectification of the AM signal happens due to a poor connection or screening of signals.

Disconnection of the TiVo hdmi cable = it goes away = that is the root cause so a call to Virgin technical may be in order for them to investigate and sort out why?

Also may be worth asking Yamaha technical for advice?

Naturally, swapping that hdmi cable for an alternative may fix it as well, and should be tried first; if you haven't already.
Thanks. I’m in Broadview Heights, Ohio (just outside of Cleveland, Ohio). I’m not particularly close to any antennas (that I’m aware of) but I’m sure there are some within a few miles.

I just tried two different HDMI cables and the problem persisted.

I did contact Yamaha and spent about 2 hours on with their tech support but they were no help.

Right now, I use my tivo with an over the air antenna. However, the same issue existed when I had it hooked up through my previous cable provider.

I'd suggest the issue is with the TiVo box and or the the service provider you are using it in association with.

The box appears to be picking up other signals, either via the cables connected or via the service you use it in conjunction with. This underlying signal is being portrayed under the content you actually want to view while using that box.

Ah USA.
Will be the source for sure!

Here in the UK our broadcast engineers can sometimes advise / help with such unwanted signal pickup by contacting them? Perhaps that may be a way forward for you?

Here's an old thread about an AM pickup problem in the UK; it may give you some background to the issue you are having? Marantz SR7015 Radio Interference from Radio Station

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom