Yamaha RX-A4A XBOX Series X Handshake Issue

Iggyweb

Novice Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a fix/workaround for the Yamaha RX-A4A handshake issue with XBOX Series X?

Sometimes the LG C2 shows no picture, yet sound can be heard from the XBOX Series X via the Yamaha RX-A4A, Decoder shows as either DD or DTS, tried both options.

The issue isn’t just limited to Dolby Vision games.

Changing cables or changing HDMI ports, power cycling or input cycling doesn’t address the issue.

Yamaha RX-A4A HDMI 1 OUT is connected to LG C2 HDMI 2 (EARC) and XBOX Series X is connected to Yamaha RX-A4A HDMI 1 IN

LG C2 has EARC enabled with Passthrough and Bitstream enabled for HDMI 2. Game Optimizer is also enabled.

XBOX Series X is enabled for 4K (UHD) 120Hz, all 4K TV Details are ticked.

Yamaha RX-A4A HDMI 1 is in 8K Mode.

All devices have had the latest updates/firmware applied.

Last edited:
Further investigation found that dropping the XBOX Series X 120Hz setting to 60Hz solved the issue.

With the 60Hz setting, even with VRR, Auto Low Latency settings enabled, I now have flawless connectivity.

The Yamaha RX-A4A menu overlay now works in all conditions even when Dolby Vision content present from the XBOX Series X.

HDMI bypass from the Yamaha RX-A4A when turned off, still presents and image to the LG C2.

Now trying to determine why 120Hz is intermittent.

Following this. also have the same issues with my RX-A6A and LG CX.
But setting it to 60Hz doesn't solve the problem.
my VRR is never visible. always greyed out. in 120 Hz and 60 Hz.
Only way to get a video signal is set the video mode to HDMI mode 1. otherwise the screen stays black with audio.

Following this. also have the same issues with my RX-A6A and LG CX.
But setting it to 60Hz doesn't solve the problem.
my VRR is never visible. always greyed out. in 120 Hz and 60 Hz.
Only way to get a video signal is set the video mode to HDMI mode 1. otherwise the screen stays black with audio.
If you’ve got the latest firmware on the RX-A6A, then could be a cable issue, not the XBOX Series X cable, but maybe the other one you are using. One thing the LG CX doesn’t support is DSC.

If you’ve got the latest firmware on the RX-A6A, then could be a cable issue, not the XBOX Series X cable, but maybe the other one you are using. One thing the LG CX doesn’t support is DSC.
The hdmi cable from the tv to the receiver is brand new and hdmi 2.1 compatible. The cable from the xbox is the one delivered with the system. And works fine when plugged in straight to the TV.
What is DSC?

The hdmi cable from the tv to the receiver is brand new and hdmi 2.1 compatible. The cable from the xbox is the one delivered with the system. And works fine when plugged in straight to the TV.
What is DSC?
If you can connect either cable from Xbox to TV and every XBOX TV setting is green ticked then your cables should be good.

DSC is Dynamic Stream Compression instead of the full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth being used, can user lower bandwidth to achieve the same end goal, but both devices need to support that.

I was originally going to get the RX-V6A with my previous CX, but Yamaha said the RX-V6A used DSC which the CX didn’t support so purchase the C2 which did. However the V6A was sold out everywhere so ended up with the A4A which ironically didn’t use DSC so could have stuck with the CX. No complaints as the C2 is a great TV.

Is it possible to disable DSC on xbox or receiver?
But that can't be the problem because the xbox works fine when connected directly to the TV.
All boxes are green ticked on the xbox. Direct connected and through the receiver

Last edited:
So an update after a whole evening of switching hdmi ports:
specifically for the XBOX:
got ALLM and VRR working.
XBOX in HDMI1 in on the receiver.
HDMI out 2 (no eARC) to the TV on HDMI1 (non eARC)
with HDMI video mode set to 8K mode the Xbox works flawlessly.
it looks like the eARC is messing up something.
on the LG CX there is a Caution remark at instant game response:
Caution: When the Sound out is set to "bluetooth / HDMI ARC / Optical digital / Wisa Speakers"or the connected device doesn't support the instant game response it may not work properly.

But still strange the PS5 has no issues at all on the HDMI out 1 (with eARC) on the Receiver. to the HDMI2 (with eARC) of the TV.

And still when I switch inputs on the receiver it often doesn't display any video or audio. untill I switch HDMI out on the remote.

Forget all what i wrote below, that only applies to the RX-A2A, RX-V4A and RX-V6A, the RX-A4A, RX-A6A and RX-A8A all support 40Gbps, so all good.

The avr might be hdmi 2.1 but the bandwidth is like only 24Gbps, this is why i am staying away from all avrs until we get full 2.1 bandwidth 48/40Gbps, xbox is 40Gbps, you wont get 4K (UHD) 120Hz, to avr, not enough bandwidth, thats why it only works at 60hz, i think im right in this.

You could try setting xbox to 4.2.0 thou, that might work, or colour depth to 8

HDMI 2.1 Bandwidth Calculator

Last edited:
staying away from all avrs until we get full 2.1 bandwidth 48/40Gbps
I believe it's only Yamaha which has the lower 24gbps ports. I know RS took some Denon x2700/x3700 units back as they had issues prior to the replacement hardware been issued. If you brought it for hdmi 2.1 compatibility with Xbox is there a case for returning it for a refund, so you can get a AVR that is capable?

Looks like they provided 4k120 support and seem to only be able to achieve it using 4:2:0 without hdr.

Has anyone discovered a solution to this? I'm having a similar issue and also only with XBOX.

I have a LG CX, the Yamaha A8A and the only other two devices are a SHIELD and a Pana Blu Ray player.
Sometimes it's flawless. Other times I have to input switch or turn the received on/off a bunch of times for everything to synch up. When it is synched up all the boxes are green on the xbox settings menu and it runs VRR/120 no problem. Other times nothing shows up. Other times video does, but audio does not.

It's super annoying.

I grabbed a Yamaha TSR-700 7.2-Channel AVR which is in the RX-A/VxA Family when my Pioneer SC-1222K developed their dreaded audio chip failure that caused over $1K in damage to 4 of 8 JBL 4311 Monitors. "I love this thing!" First of all it doesn't hiss like the Pioneer, far better sound quality and the upgraded video handling.

But the problem I'm having is with Handshake delays, 5 seconds to never, with audio and/or video when switching to and from any input and transitioning to and from commercials in like, YouTube. Although it was manufactured after their "board replacement program" and shows the * after the FW version number denoting it was built with the newer board, it should be totally devoid of any issues related to this. BUT since I hooked it up it lags like I have never experienced when changing inputs to a point it'll change itself back to the last input just to put a picture on the screen. The audio I have to toggle back and forth from multiple sources to get it to work. This not only gets in the way of basic operation, but when using HA Routines causes failures and is damned annoying.

I submitted a ticket to Yamaha that got escalated to Level 2 Tech Support and "My Tech Rep" at Yamaha called me. "Surprise!" I talked to a very pleasant gentleman. That's just it though, I did all the talking with little or no input from him. After explaining the problem that I was having and that I have never experienced that with any other AVR, he said, "You've been lucky." I added what I have written above and was told that, "The delay is the same with all Yamaha AVRs." I replied, "You can't be serious, especially after the board issues you've had leading to a replacement program your gear is still functioning in a manner that is considered defective." He didn't say anything.

I got the unit from COSTCO, thus out of normal model number, and usually call their Concierge Service, which is "Amazing". But didn't, and called Yamaha directly. After my conversation with Yamaha I want to hit all the forums and see what's going on with others that have a latest models of Yamaha before I contact COSTCO or talk to "My Personal Yamaha Rep" again. I want to have a concensus of what is actually happening with other owners to be able to present that they still have a problem.

From what I have read this is somewhat widespread in brands that used a particular chip and only Yamaha was as proactive as they were. Any information that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

The RX-A4A, RX-A6A and RX-A8A all support 40Gbps, so all good.

But do they though? Other than an undisputable setup or independent bench testing at that level will tell. And that level is still a burgeoning market in cables and gear. Except for, I think it's a model from Denon, where you can plug a cable into the input and output that will allow you to run an internal test. What with specs being flailed around and erroneously included in descriptions who's to know?

And after my conversation with Yamaha, I wouldn't trust anything beyond third party testing or seeing it myself.

But do they though? Other than an undisputable setup or independent bench testing at that level will tell. And that level is still a burgeoning market in cables and gear. Except for, I think it's a model from Denon, where you can plug a cable into the input and output that will allow you to run an internal test. What with specs being flailed around and erroneously included in descriptions who's to know?

And after my conversation with Yamaha, I wouldn't trust anything beyond third party testing or seeing it myself.
Yeh i only read that on yamaha website, never know until its tested properly.

Small update. I switched the Xbox back to 60hz instead of 120 and it now synchs up just fine. That setting seems to be the issue. Now to figure out why. It's one of the reasons I bought this unit since it claims it can handle it.

Hi

I have the same issue on the Yamaha RX-A2A, with the Xbox Series X.

Both are on the latest firmware. HDMI CEC is switched on. If I want to switch to the Xbox Series X on my Yamaha RX-A2A, I have to manually select it.

I also had the same issue, with a previous Xbox Series X.

Barry :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom