Yamaha RX-A4A and using its 3 x HDMI outputs?

Weymuff

Hi

I have an older Denon AVR (non 4k) which is causing issues with rest of set up.

I have SKY Q Ultra HD which I can't bypass through older amp in it's best quality.

I am looking at the Yamaha RX-A4A which shows it has 2 x HDMI outputs, plus a 3rd HDMI output (ZONE OUT)

I run a set up that the current SKY box via splitters etc sends signals to two other rooms so the same channel can be watched at same time. We have secondary SKY Q boxes but they can be a second or so out of sync and painful.

If the RX-A4A would work, this would make things much cleaner and in return better performance.

What I want to do is hook the SKY box (plus other devices) into the Yamaha, then an HDMI to my main Sony 4K TV, plus two other HDMI outputs running into secondary rooms.

I take it one of the two HDMI would work like the main HDMI, plus the 3rd ZONE OUT HDMI need to be switched on to work?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks
Mark

Jay53

Hi

I have an older Denon AVR (non 4k) which is causing issues with rest of set up.

I have SKY Q Ultra HD which I can't bypass through older amp in it's best quality.

I am looking at the Yamaha RX-A4A which shows it has 2 x HDMI outputs, plus a 3rd HDMI output (ZONE OUT)

I run a set up that the current SKY box via splitters etc sends signals to two other rooms so the same channel can be watched at same time. We have secondary SKY Q boxes but they can be a second or so out of sync and painful.

If the RX-A4A would work, this would make things much cleaner and in return better performance.

What I want to do is hook the SKY box (plus other devices) into the Yamaha, then an HDMI to my main Sony 4K TV, plus two other HDMI outputs running into secondary rooms.

I take it one of the two HDMI would work like the main HDMI, plus the 3rd ZONE OUT HDMI need to be switched on to work?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks
Mark

I could be wrong but I believe hdmi 1 & 2 outputs are mirrored and so they will only output what ever is the highest common resolution. I.e if you have a 4k and HD TV both on then you will get HD

The 3rd hdmi is independent so can even be a different source

Weymuff

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Did manage to find your comments in the manual re HDMI 1 & 2.

What isn't answered is if you have both TV's connected, but only have the 4k switched on - would you get a 4k pic?

If both TV's are on, then it's on in background.

If sat down watching a Ultra HD Movie, or 4k movie on Netflix then the Sony 4k TV will be on in lounge and kitchen TV switched off.

The 3rd HDMI isn't so important as in conservatory and not on so often, but would be showing the same as lounge.

Hopefully Yamaha or someone can answer?

Ataripower

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Did manage to find your comments in the manual re HDMI 1 & 2.

What isn't answered is if you have both TV's connected, but only have the 4k switched on - would you get a 4k pic?

If both TV's are on, then it's on in background.

If sat down watching a Ultra HD Movie, or 4k movie on Netflix then the Sony 4k TV will be on in lounge and kitchen TV switched off.

The 3rd HDMI isn't so important as in conservatory and not on so often, but would be showing the same as lounge.

Hopefully Yamaha or someone can answer?

Hi Weymuff,
Did you find a resolution to this issue?

I currently have a Sky Box connected to my A6A and want to be able to output the Sky signal to 3 monitors (2 TV's and a projector). This does NOT need to be simultaneous just one at a time.

HDMI1 Output - Main TV
HDMI2 Output - Projector

My question is will I be able to connect a 2nd TV to HDMI Zone 3 and use the Sky box source? Hope that makes sense

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi Weymuff,
Did you find a resolution to this issue?

I currently have a Sky Box connected to my A6A and want to be able to output the Sky signal to 3 monitors (2 TV's and a projector). This does NOT need to be simultaneous just one at a time.

HDMI1 Output - Main TV
HDMI2 Output - Projector

My question is will I be able to connect a 2nd TV to HDMI Zone 3 and use the Sky box source? Hope that makes sense

The main 2 outputs are mirrored and will always convey the same video information to the TV and or the PJ based upon the source you select for the main room. The third output is a dedicated second independant HDMI zone output that will passthrough both the audio and the video sourced via any HDMI source connected to the AV receiver. Yes, you can convey the same HDMI video source via all 3 outputs, but you'd have to specifically set the second zone to that source in order to convey it via the second zone HDMI output.

Basically ensure that both the main room and the second zone are set to the same HDMI source.

The thing to note is that the second zone HDMI output passes through both audio and video and as such the device it is conveying the signal to may influence the audio you get in both zones. The source device will read the EDID of that second zone device and use it to determine what audio it can output. If that TV hasn't the audio capabilities of the AV receiver then you may end up with lower quality audio in both zones? HDMI always uses the lowest capable device to determine what it can or cannot convey. I don't think SKY boxes comply with this though, but devices such as UHD disc players do.

Last edited:

Ataripower

The main 2 outputs are mirrored and will always convey the same video information to the TV and or the PJ based upon the source you select for the main room. The third output is a dedicated second independant HDMI zone output that will passthrough both the audio and the video sourced via any HDMI source connected to the AV receiver. Yes, you can convey the same HDMI video source via all 3 outputs, but you'd have to specifically set the second zone to that source in order to convey it via the second zone HDMI output.

Basically ensure that both the main room and the second zone are set to the same HDMI source.

The thing to note is that the second zone HDMI output passes through both audio and video and as such the device it is conveying the signal to may influence the audio you get in both zones. The source device will read the EDID of that second zone device and use it to determine what audio it can output. If that TV hasn't the audio capabilities of the AV receiver then you may end up with lower quality audio in both zones? HDMI always uses the lowest capable device to determine what it can or cannot convey. I don't think SKY boxes comply with this though, but devices such as UHD disc players do.
Brilliant thanks. I think it should achieve what I'm trying to do then. Much appreciated

Ataripower

Hi Dante01
I could use your help again if I may. I have connected a tv/monitor by HDMI to HDMI Out 3 (Zone 3) but am struggling to get the Sky signal to show on the TV. I have tried assigning the Zone in the Yamaha settings but can't seem to work it out. Any suggestions please?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi Dante01
I could use your help again if I may. I have connected a tv/monitor by HDMI to HDMI Out 3 (Zone 3) but am struggling to get the Sky signal to show on the TV. I have tried assigning the Zone in the Yamaha settings but can't seem to work it out. Any suggestions please?
by default 2022-03-10 at 13.21.02.png

Either set your remote to zone 2 and then power that zone up out of standby and select the HDMI source you wish to convey to the second HDMI zone. You can also use the ZONE options available to you via the control app on an iOS or Android device.

Note that the AV receiver doesn't process either the audio or the video being passed through it and out to the second HDMI zone.

Set your remote back to the MAIN zone once you've used it to select the source for the second HDMI zone.

Note that the least capable display will determine what most HDMI sources can output. If you've a 1080p TV in the second zone then the source will either automatocally set itself the output 1080p or you'd need to manually configure it to do so. If using the same source in both zones simultaneously then both TVs will get the same ressolution even if one of them is 4K.

Last edited:

Ataripower

Thanks for this. I did locate that information in the manual and have tried it but to no avail. I have switched off the other two monitors but no picture is being output to the TV connected to HDMI 3 (Zone 3). I can hear the sound from the sky box through my speakers but no picture on the TV.

I have assigned the Zone 3 to be activated on Zone 4 on the remote (also tried Zone 2) and selected the Zone 3 output. Thanks for trying to help, I'll mess around a little more before I give up

Toekiller

Standard Member
Not sure this helps but this was my recent experience with a Denon Receiver with Zone 1 & 2. I needed to get a signal from my Sky\Xbox to the TV or PJ but not at the same time. When using Monitor 1 & 2 which were mirrored I would get no signal. I then tried the Zone 2 output which worked, as long as Zone1 was pointed to a different source. If both zones used the same source I was getting HDCP issues from Sky Q.

So for watching Sky on the TV via Zone2, my remote has to turn on Zone1 point to AUX, then Turn on Zone 2 and point to Sky.

According to the manual this shouldn't be an issue and I should be able to watch the same source in both Zones. I'm guessing though that the Sky Box might be having a fit as it's handshaking with 2 devices at the same time? I don't know how that works.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've had DEnon AV receivers and Yamaha models with additional HDMI zones and in bothinstances the zone associated with the additional HDMI output was ZONE 2.

Note that each and every zpne is inde[endant of one another and that you have to set their source sepewrately and independently. Also note that the AUDIO and the HDMI zpnes are not the one and the same zone.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom