Yamaha RX-A3080 Owners Thread

I'm less inclined to use the Music DSP Program option and they can be a little OTT and I'm more inclined to use the MOVIE THEATRE programs.

Also note that all the DSP Programs can be configured and have settings to reduce delay, room size etc. Don't just take them at face value.

… while trying to troubleshoot the sound I did get a firmware update message, but I could not update the firmware as I kept getting errors during update. Long story short, my 3080 is in the shop for no audio. I bought it 13 months ago. Yes it is still under warranty but Not happy with Yamaha quality.

I dread to think what you'd think of some of the other brands then? I think you've unfortunately got a rogue unit with an issue as opposed to the issue you have being inherant to all Yamaha models?

Yamaha AV receivers are some of the best as far as reliability and build quality are cioncerned.

My RX-A3080 updated to firmware 1.95 yesterday. I can’t find any release notes for 1.95 yet.

My RX-A3080 updated to firmware 1.95 yesterday. I can’t find any release notes for 1.95 yet.

It usually takes Yamaha a week or two before they publish the notes and make them available via their site. You could however try your luck on the Japanses site where YAmaha more often than not publish the update before their other sites around the world.

• Correction of surround decoder setting function by "AV CONTROLLER"

Great.

You can now change the decoder mode via the Yamaha control app. You were previously not able to do this and the controller simply listed the mode it was set to without the ability to change it.

by default 2021-07-08 at 11.04.08.png

I dread to think what you'd think of some of the other brands then? I think you've unfortunately got a rogue unit with an issue as opposed to the issue you have being inherant to all Yamaha models?

Yamaha AV receivers are some of the best as far as reliability and build quality are cioncerned.
What is the issue "inherent" in all Yamaha models? I am not aware of it.

They are made of piano wires and old motorbike engines ?

Common to all the models as opposed to being specifix to you and just the unit you own.

Last edited:
They are made of piano wires and old motorbike engines ?

Yamaha don't unfortunately own the motorbike division anymore and that oart of their operation is now a seperate operation.

ive ordered new TV ny first OLED. Its a Sony so only 2 hdmi 2.1 ports, the yamaha will be going into the earc port and id like to put the ps5 into the other, will i get sound back from the amp if i do this with it being on a different hdmi input or will i have to keep ps5 plugged into the amp for the full 7.1?

ive ordered new TV ny first OLED. Its a Sony so only 2 hdmi 2.1 ports, the yamaha will be going into the earc port and id like to put the ps5 into the other, will i get sound back from the amp if i do this with it being on a different hdmi input or will i have to keep ps5 plugged into the amp for the full 7.1?
Only one HDMI input will be ARC or eARC enabled on any TV, but this wouldn't prevent you from accessing audio via any of the other inputs on that TV and passing them through and out via the ARC enabled input.

If the Sony only has 2 HDMI version 2.1 compliant inputs then you'd be left with just one of them free if the other is the ARC enabled input. If you connect the PS5 to the remaining HDMI version 2.1 compliant input then yes, you'd then be able to pass the audio through and out to your AV receiver using eaRC as long as the AV receiver is connected to the ARC enable input on that TV.

Last edited:
wondering if i can get some more help. Its regrding lipsync.

I have tried with it enable, disabled but i cant get it right and looking to see if there is possibly a solution im not thinking about.

It seems like im 25ms ish infront of the picture that is with the lipsync set at 0 but i can set it to a minus figure only a positive. It seems to be regrdless of source, internal apps & 4K uhd player is what im using.

ive set it audio sync to off on the TV and either manual or auto on the yamaha and tried various options on both TV and 3080 but cant seem to brint it in line. Any advice?

The audio is more ordinarilly ahead of the video because the video is usually being subjected to more processing than the audio. You'don't ordinarilly get any control over the video so cannot delay the video to sync it with the audio. The audio shouldn't or wouldn't be subjected to any processing that could or would result in the video being ahead of the sound. There's effectively nothing you can do about it if the audio is being portrayed behind the video. All I can suggest is that you raise thos matter with the manufactuer of the source you are using or contact the service via which you are accessing the effected content.

You can only add a delay to the audio and that is the limit of the synchronisation options that the AV receiver will give you.

I have the RX-A3080. Does anyone know if we can use this avr as a pre/pro exclusively? I have the MCA525 gen 2 for 5 main channels and basX-a4 for my 4 atmos.

If possible, what speaker configuration under power amp assign do i choose? I dont see this option.

I have the RX-A3080. Does anyone know if we can use this avr as a pre/pro exclusively? I have the MCA525 gen 2 for 5 main channels and basX-a4 for my 4 atmos.

If possible, what speaker configuration under power amp assign do i choose? I dont see this option.
Nope unfortunately, not in the real sense. The internal amps are always on. Denon has a few receivers that can act as a true prepro with internals disabled.

However you can still use your external amps. In the settings, from memory, you need to configure front and back presence speakers. Then select Overhead (for ceiling Atmos speakers) or Dolby Enabled (for upfirers). After that YPAO can be run.

Its ages since I’ve done this but I know it’s all in the manual. It lists the various speaker layout options.

I selected 7.2.4 (ext FPRSN, RPSN). I'm able to run YPAO. I heard test tones for all.

If the internal amps are always on, does this mean nothing is coming out of the pre outs (LRC LS, RS,)?

i guess the A3080 does not have the Preamplifier Mode. using both external amps cause the signals coming from the pre outs to be weak.

It's looking as though there's a hardware fault then so time to ring the retailer.

Also try as suggested by

FelixIo above.​

Update on the audio dying issue with my A3080.

After spending lot of time with Yamaha customer support on the phone, it was concluded that the unit needs to be taken to a Yamaha authorized service center. Unfortunately there is only one Yamaha ASC in my area. Dropped my unit with them. At that time they said it will be two weeks may be more if a replacement part is not readily available. It has been more than a month now, I checked with them few days back and they have not even looked at the unit. It is sitting on their shelf collecting dust. They said they are very busy and refused to tell me when they will even look at the my receiver.

My question to this group is: Is there any law or rule where an electronic item under warranty has to be repaired within certain time or has to be replaced by a similar new unit?

A quick question all…
I wanted to check if tone control effects only the main F&L speakers?
I have been watching quite a lot of 4K / atmos soundtracks and currently the tone control is set to bypass but I find (recently) that my mains sound softer that the rest of my setup hence me asking about tone control.

A quick question all…
I wanted to check if tone control effects only the main F&L speakers?
I have been watching quite a lot of 4K / atmos soundtracks and currently the tone control is set to bypass but I find (recently) that my mains sound softer that the rest of my setup hence me asking about tone control.

Tone adjustments would apply to all channels and not just the front left and right channels.

The tone adjustments would not however be in effect if and when dealing with and portraying Atmos.

Last edited:
I selected 7.2.4 (ext FPRSN, RPSN). I'm able to run YPAO. I heard test tones for all.

If the internal amps are always on, does this mean nothing is coming out of the pre outs (LRC LS, RS,)?

Audio is sent to the internal amps and pre outs whether you use them or not.

Typically if the internal amps have distortion so will the pre outs at signal level. Not sure why, but that's the way it is with AVR's

Also means the amps are using power and radiating heat, they won't shut down fully. Some other AVR's do allow you to disconnect the signal to the amps, but it won't disconnect the power fully (they have eco mode so do use far less)

Also be aware of Yamahas pre out levels are usually very poor, check your Yamaha 3080 can provide a good clean signal at the maximum possible voltage required for your poweramp.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom