Yamaha RX-A3080 Owners Thread

Thank you RMP888
Here is one of the sites I've grabbed "Atmos" demos from:

Try the small "Dolby HD Atmos -Unfold v2 - Lossless File" on this page as an initial test:
Filename downloaded should be "dolby-unfold-v2-lossless-(www.demolandia.net).m2ts", about 93MB.

Again, I'm using a Windows 8.1 HTPC running MPC-HC bitstreaming to the RX-A3080. The receiver is listing the source m2ts files from that Demolandia site above (and others I've tried so far) as PCM.

Only the two MP4 files downloadable directly from Dobly here:
are being identified by my RX-A3080 as "Atmos/DD+" in the on-screen information while playing the files, also played through MPC-HC software on my HTPC. Only difference in my testing is the files themselves, so this is why I'm trying to establish if I just happen to have a lot of demo material that is being processed as PCM, or if my HTPC perhaps somehow is having a specific problem with .m2ts file extension Atmos files.

Hello!
Did any of you have a problem of freezing (hung like a computer) of the RX-A3080 (FW 1.72)?

I had a home theater as part of the Panasonic 50VT50 + rx-a3080 + appleTV4K. Managing equipment on via HDMI CEC works with both TV and Apple, 3080 turns on and off. It worked for more than a year without any problems.
I changed the TV to OLED Panasonic 65GZR1000, while the rest of the equipment remained the same. Faced the problem of "freezing" (hung) the receiver 3080. It does not respond to either the remote control or the power button. The solution is to turn off and turn on 220V. This happens as soon as I turn off Apple or OLED while the same 3080 shuts down at the command of the HDMI CEC and freezes. I replaced all the HDMI cables with other, better ones, but the situation has not improved. 3080 can work without problems for a day, two, three or a week, and it can constantly hang if I control its on and off via HDMI CEC.
In Apppe TV4K, firmware 13.3, in 3080 -1.72 \ 1.85 (ID 01782E43), in OLED 3.09. Mode1 in 3080 is active. Video processing is turned off, 4k 60Hz Dolby Vision is configured in Apple, TV and Receivers are actively controlled. Viera Link is active on TV along with turning it on and off.

Now I have to turn off the HDMI CHECK control in 3080 so that the receiver does not hang. I turn it on manually from the remote control.

PS:
I contacted the representative office of Yamaha Europe. I got tips and instructions for resetting the receiver to the factory state through the service menu. It did not help.
I would be grateful for the advice.
Maybe there is some kind of communication channel with Yamaha engineers or programmers to convey my problem to them.
This is the first time I have encountered a situation so that the receiver can freeze like an old computer :)
Prior to this, there were several models of receivers from Yamaha (650-1065-1070-2067) and there was no such behavior of receivers

Last edited:
I have an even better example (I think) to illustrate my question/observation about how files are being encoded differently. I've found another website that has "Atmos Demos":

On that site I've downloaded every file that has "Atmos" in the Audio description field. Among those files downloaded are two of the same video "Nature's Fury". The version of that file that is labelled as "Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS" shows up on the RX-A3080 as "Atmos/DD+". The Nature's Fury file that is labelled as "Lossless - ATMOS" shows as PCM on the RX-A3080. So both files from the same source, played from my HTPC, both labelled as Atmos encoded audio, MKV H.264 1080p video files... but the AVR sees only one as Atmos and the other as PCM. Would love to know if others are seeing this same behavior and if anyone can explain why this is happening I'd definitely like to understand this better.

In the meantime I need to figure out how to play those H265 encoded video files because they are definitely struggling on my PC!

THe lossless version would have to have been encoded with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack packaged along with the associated Atmos metadata.

DD+ is lossy SD while TrueHD is lossless HD.

Again, it has nothing to do with your AV receiver and the issue is with the playback device and or its audio output configurations.

Last edited:
Thank you RMP888
Here is one of the sites I've grabbed "Atmos" demos from:

Try the small "Dolby HD Atmos -Unfold v2 - Lossless File" on this page as an initial test:
Filename downloaded should be "dolby-unfold-v2-lossless-(www.demolandia.net).m2ts", about 93MB.

Again, I'm using a Windows 8.1 HTPC running MPC-HC bitstreaming to the RX-A3080. The receiver is listing the source m2ts files from that Demolandia site above (and others I've tried so far) as PCM.

Only the two MP4 files downloadable directly from Dobly here:
are being identified by my RX-A3080 as "Atmos/DD+" in the on-screen information while playing the files, also played through MPC-HC software on my HTPC. Only difference in my testing is the files themselves, so this is why I'm trying to establish if I just happen to have a lot of demo material that is being processed as PCM, or if my HTPC perhaps somehow is having a specific problem with .m2ts file extension Atmos files.

I tried both files on Win10 native Film & TV app and with kodi 18.5. I had no problems and concur with Dante01 that "it has nothing to do with your AV receiver and the issue is with the playback device and or its audio output configurations "

In the past i had some problems with Kodi only doing PCM for some formats and had to ensure that passthrough output device was selected then the device/software was the WASAPI HDMI option enabled, The bit that I forgot was to of turned on the options like indicating the receiver is Dolby Digital (ac3) capable, TrueHD capable, DTS capable, DTS-HD capable etc etc . Anyway the the problems I had were mediaplayer or PC software related and not receiver related; but it took me a frustratingly long time to sort it out. good luck.

Thanks guys for the feedback and your efforts.
I have also myself verified that it is the playback device, specifically the PC's video card. I noticed that in the Windows Sound Properties for my current HTPC, only three formats were listed as "supported formats" for the Nvidia HDMI Audio device. As a test I connected a newer laptop than my HTPC, and the same sound properties for the HDMI audio device going out to the RX-A3080 now had a much more complete list of supported formats in that list. Included in that list were Atmos, DTS-HD MA, etc. The files, including the Lossless ones, played on the laptop from the same software app (MPC-HC) and the screen on the AVR properly showed the different audio formats of the various test files. This is what I was expecting to see, so at a minimum the Nvidia video card, which supplies the HDMI audio output in my HTPC, has to go.

I have a quick question on setup after going through this post.....

I have a RX-A3080 and a. RX-A2000
I’d like to run 7.2.4 setup but the receiver only supports 7.2.2 by its self with the use of a external power amp I could obtain the 7.2.4

My Question is could I use the RX-A2000 as that ext PWR amp? Would the 3080 be able to control the volume of the 2000? And power it off and on when it’s turned off and on.

what would be best to use of the (rx-a2000) for a PWR amp to control? Presence speakers? Main Left and right front?

the pre out rca’s are what I would use to connect to the rx-a2000 but after that I’d be Lost... ie proper config of the rx-a2000... and something about the trigger wire mentioned in a earlier reply...

I apologize if this post is confusing. Tried to ask the questions if the previous one was a yes

any help appreciated

Last edited:
I have a quick question on setup after going through this post.....

I have a RX-A3080 and a. RX-A2000
I’d like to run 7.2.4 setup but the receiver only supports 7.2.2 by its self with the use of a external power amp I could obtain the 7.2.4

My Question is could I use the RX-A2000 as that ext PWR amp? Would the 3080 be able to control the volume of the 2000? And power it off and on when it’s turned off and on.

what would be best to use of the (rx-a2000) for a PWR amp to control? Presence speakers? Left and right?

the pre out rca’s are what I would use to connect to the rx-a2000 but after that I’d be Lost... ie proper config of the rx-a2000... and something about the trigger wire mentioned in a earlier reply...

I apologize if this post is confusing. Tried to ask the questions if the previous one was a yes

any help appreciated

Turn on and off by trigger - No (+12V Trigger Output )
You can connect 3080 Remote Out and 2000 Remote IN - and in this case, when you turn on tje 3080 from IR remote - the signal to turn on from the remote will come to 2000 also.
But this scheme for placing equipment in different rooms.
When you installing 3080 and 2000 in one rack, you do not need to connect them through Remote Out\In, since the remote from 3080 will turn on 2000 in the same way.
Unfortunately, there is no way through the trigger.

To adjust the volume for 2000 - No
The 2000 has its own power amplifier with adjustable volume. Acoustics you will be connected to 2000
2000 is an AV Receiver with a preamplifier and power amplifier for the load.
Sell 2000 and buy for 3080 an external power amplifier with a balanced input, for example Rotel 1552MK2.

Last edited:
Sell 2000 and buy for 3080 an external power amplifier with a balanced input, for example Rotel 1552MK2.
I'll second that. It's just too much hassle balancing the sound using an AVR or integrated amp that doesn't have HT pass through.

Thanks for the reply. I figured this might be the case but it was worth a shot to ask the experts... won’t get much for a RX-A2000. Was hoping to utilize it. Oh well guess I’ll use it for my computer set up.

so Rotel 1552MK2 I guess will be the best option then...I’d use this for the Left and right Mains or for the rear presence speakers?

Thanks for the reply. I figured this might be the case but it was worth a shot to ask the experts... won’t get much for a RX-A2000. Was hoping to utilize it. Oh well guess I’ll use it for my computer set up.

so Rotel 1552MK2 I guess will be the best option then...I’d use this for the Left and right Mains or for the rear presence speakers?
Rotel was given as an example, since I personally listened to 4 amplifiers together with 3080, and Rotel seemed to me a more suitable solution. It smooths out the sharpness and brightness in the sound from 3080 a little.
You also have the right to consider any other power amplifier to your liking.
Usually, an external power amplifier is connected to the main front front speakers. Since the greatest power is given out precisely to the frontal pair. The rear or front presence channels are the least loaded in the sound field. The 3080 is quite powerful and will even shake even 5 channels or 7, but a two-channel stereo amplifier for a front pair will help her a lot.

I don't know if I've set this up wrong, however I am using AV1 for the Apple TV source. When that source is active, the front panel and OSD shows "CD" as the input.

I haven't relabeled any sources yet. Is this a quirk or have I done something wrong?

Last edited:
I have a RX-A3080 I'm running all high end HDMI cables, Have Apple TV 4k running through AV1 and Blue Ray Player running through AV2. When I play a Blue Ray Movie I hear surround sound and atmos fine. When I play Netflix, Youtube through my Apple 4K just front and center speakers work. Ive looked everywere on how to setup the Apple 4k and have everything set correct and updated firmware. I thought I would try playing through my Blue Ray Player (Youtube) and doing a surround sound test like I did with the Apple TV 4k but no luck same issue, I thought I would work through the BR because the BR Disk Movies did. I know my speaker are setup right because when I do a sound test all speaker are setup ok. Anyone have any Ideas. I think its something with the settings in the 3080. Ive tryed everything else with the Apple TV 4K all firmware on all equipment is up to date.

Last edited:
Don't use YouTube to run surround multichannel tests. YouTube only has 2 channel audio and anything you play sourced via YouTube would only result in stereo unless you employ an upmixing mode. Despite what those uploading the test files to YouTube believe, you are not getting multichannel audio via YouTube.

Heres guidnce on how to configure the ATV's audio output to give you multichannel and Atmos encoded audio if and when available:

It should be noted that the ATV doesn't have any ability to handle HD formats such as TrueHD and when dealing with Atmos metadata packaged with DD+, the device with decode the DD+ element itself and output the Atmos mtadata with multichannel PCM using Dolby MAT to convey it to the AVR:

Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT
A Dolby MAT encoder resides in a Blu-ray player to pack the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI. A Dolby MAT decoder is concurrently employed in the Dolby TrueHD decoder in the sound bar to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded the Dolby MAT technology to support encoding and decoding of Dolby Atmos metadata incorporated in lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.

A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object-based audio can be live encoded and transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among the likely sources are broadcast set-top boxes and game consoles. The Dolby MAT 2.0 decoder in the Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar outputs the object-based audio and its metadata for further processing inside the device. The Dolby MAT 2.0 container is scalable and leverages the full potential of the HDMI audio pipeline.

Unlike sources that would otherwise bitstream the DD+ or TrueHD encode audio with the Atmos metadata packaged with it, the ATV will stream the DD+ elemt decoded as PCM with the Atmos metadata.

It should also be noted that you'd being getting multichannel PCM as opposed to Dolby Digital or DD+ even if the audio isn't inclusive of Atmos metadata.

Last edited:
What do the audio settings look like on the ATV?

This is what I have

1582194378967.png

Also, when playing something on ATV, open the info menu, from the hamburger button on the remote and slide across the sound settings. What does that look like?

Why do you need 4: 4: 4 ??????
Set 4:2:0 4K SDR 60Hz and auto-negotiation frequency and frame.
Your sound is set to "best".

Don't use YouTube to run surround multichannel tests. YouTube only has 2 channel audio and anything you play sourced via YouTube would only result in stereo unless you employ an upmixing mode. Despite what those uploading the test files to YouTube believe, you are not getting multichannel audio via YouTube.

Heres guidnce on how to configure the ATV's audio output to give you multichannel and Atmos encoded audio if and when available:

It should be noted that the ATV doesn't have any ability to handle HD formats such as TrueHD and when dealing with Atmos metadata packaged with DD+, the device with decode the DD+ element itself and output the Atmos mtadata with multichannel PCM using Dolby MAT to convey it to the AVR:

Unlike sources that would otherwise bitstream the DD+ or TrueHD encode audio with the Atmos metadata packaged with it, the ATV will stream the DD+ elemt decoded as PCM with the Atmos metadata.

It should also be noted that you'd being getting multichannel PCM as opposed to Dolby Digital or DD+ even if the audio isn't inclusive of Atmos metadata.

Thanks for the responce I understand about youtube but whats funny is some sourround sound tests clips work... , what about running netflix I'm not getting alot of surround sound from netflix, I downloaded a surround test app to my ATV and it works so I know the ATV is putting out the correct speaker output. It's kinda of a bummer when I watch 90% of my movies and stuff through ATV. If I ran movies through a NAS system would that do the job of correcting surround sound. The Blue Ray Disk's work great through my system. I'm also running 7.2.4 I'm using with my Yamaha R-A3080 a Marantz MM7055 5ch amp. I'm waiting on two 3ft optical hdmi cables to run my BRay & ATV to my Yamaha.

You are not getting anything via YouTube that is multichannel surround. Whether you get anything as being discrete surround via Netflix depends upon what the content in question is encoded with. I don't own an ATV so I cannot guide you through connecting it and configuring one so that it would convey Atmos and multichannel formatted audio correctly. You may want to ask about this in a thread dealing specifically with the ATV or someone else may be able to give you more in depth gudance here? Other than this, I can only direct you to Apple's own support page which I've already posted a link to:

I'd suggest that you put the receiver into its STRAIGHT mode if and when testing the setup. This would bypass any additional upmixing or DSP programs.

Last edited:
Here's a problem I was having and how I fixed it. I'm running the Yamaha RX-A3080 with a Marantz MM7055 Amp. Running everything through a Harmony Hub and it works great. All my controls for my Yamaha, Apple TV, Blue Ray Player, & TV are controlled through my Hamony App on a Mini Ipad. Everything works Great. I had an issue arise the other day couldn't figure it out. Problem: One day all of a sudden my 3080 while booting up when started would sitch from ATV to Black screen from the Blue Ray input Back and forth. I first thought that the harmony hub was sending a signal to the 3080 switching back and forth. So I unplugged the hub and it still did it when I restarted my 3080. So I knew it wasn't the hub. So I changed out the Cable going to the ATV still no luck. Then I switched inputs from ATV AV1 to AV2 where the Blue Ray was at. Still no luck it would switch from ATV to a Black Screen back and forth. I was scratching my head on this one. I thought it was the 3080 that was switching so I went through the setup checked everything all look ok no indication of any thing switching the inputs!!! One thing I noticed once in a while I could mess with the ATV controler and it would stay on ATV then I noticed the video would glitch I still thought it was the cable to the ATV but I just changed it out with a new one.!! So I didn't want to but I decided to wipe my ATV and guess what Boom it fixed it.
Just a Note to anyone having the same problem I just guess the ATV software got a glitch in it some how and you see what happened. Hope this helps anyone else out there with this problem. Take Care!!

Also Just a note, Ive been testing youtube out with the surround sound i've noticed that some surround sound test's videos work many don't. Also ive found out that the surround sound doesn't work with Netflix like the top of the move states it should be in. I did notice that when I play a trailer thourgh Itunes movie list boom surround sound kicks in fine. I also have fiber optic's internet so I know the speed is good I did test's and i'm getting around 700-800mb a sec up and down. Every thing is hard wired to my equipment. Any ideas would be helpful. I know all my settings with ATV are good because some app's work find with surround sound some crap out. Have a Great Day or Evening which ever tks.

Question: Would running a Fire Stick instead of Apple TV make a difference with running Surround Sound through Netflix for or other app's ?

Last edited:
Also Just a note, Ive been testing youtube out with the surround sound i've noticed that some surround sound test's videos work many don't.

You don't get surround sound via YouTube and no video you access via YouTube will have anything but 2 channel audio. Regardless of whether or not people keep inploading test files to YouTube, they are all stereo and not 5.1, 7.1 etc.

No test files work because you only get 2 channel stereo via YouTube.

The correct manner in which to configure the ATV's audio output can be found here:

It has to be noted that the ATV doesn't bitstream audio and decodes all audio itself. The device will output multichannel PCM even if outputting Atmos when correctly configured. The ATV uses Dolby MAT to do this:

Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT
The Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) encoder resides in a Blu-ray player to pack the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI connections. A MAT decoder is subsequently employed in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos content as lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.

A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object-based audio can be live encoded and transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among the possible sources are broadcast set-top boxes, PCs, and game consoles. The Dolby MAT 2.0 decoder in an AVR outputs the object-based audio and its metadata for further processing. The Dolby MAT 2.0 container is scalable and leverages the full potential of the HDMI audio pipeline.

Another thing to note is the fact that the ATV is a platform on which different apps run. Not all apps have the same audio abilities and Apple has no control ver what over devellepers or services provide to those service's customers in terms of audio. Netflix on the ATV should however still allow you to access both 5.1 and Atmos encoded audio if and when available though.

Last edited:
Not bad at all.wish id got it from them instead lol.

Slightly off topic.. my current setup is 5.1 so i will be upgrading to atmos 7.1.4 with external 2 channel amp, would you say this is the best way for atmos setup? As iv heard 5.1.4 is supposed to be as good? If i do 5.1.4 what happens when you play a 7.1 dts movie as ther is no back surround?hope this makes sense..thanks

I am a newbie to ATMOS and getting my RX-A3080 next week. In the user manual it says that for a 5.1.4 you need to connect the rear top to the "rear presence" channel requiring external amp. Else you get 7.1.2 without the external amp. How did you connect the speakers to get 5.1.4 without the external amp?
Thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom