Yamaha RX-A3080 + Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 VS Yamaha RX-A8A

ShinyDiamond

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my receiver but don't want to spend huge $s. Currently running Yamaha RX-A3080 + Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3. If I sell both my current receiver and amp, I can buy latest RX-A8A (might need to top up few hundred $s on top). I love to keep Emotiva amp but unfortunately can't afford to keep this if I have to upgrade receiver.

Do you think its a good move?
Is RX-A8A capable enough to run full 7.2.4 setup (without external amp)? On papers, yes will work but looking for first hand user experience.

My speakers are:

Klipsch RP-800F fronts
Klipsch RP-504C centre
Klipsch RP-600m side surrounds
Klipsch RP-600m rear surrounds
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR x 4 Atmos
Klipsch SPL-150 x 2 subs

Last edited:
Unless you have some features missing then I am thinking the A3080 vsRX-A8A would be a pretty close match sound wise. Yamaha did a lot of work with the RX-A3080 tweaking/improving performance, which I guess has simply carried over to the RX-A8A. Taming the Bass with something like a miniDSP might be a better route.

I'm trying to decide whether to replace my current A3080+NAD C270 setup with an A8A.

As the NAD only drives the rear Atmos speakers I'm erring more of the side of an A6A because it can be got for less than £1800 now which will save me £1100 on the cost of the A8A.

I'm trying to decide whether to replace my current A3080+NAD C270 setup with an A8A.

As the NAD only drives the rear Atmos speakers I'm erring more of the side of an A6A because it can be got for less than £1800 now which will save me £1100 on the cost of the A8A.

Do you need the hdmi 2.1 connections for gaming or why you would do the change as there won`t be much of audible difference with these units?! A6A has same power specs and DAC chips to A3080. Sure there is some internal changes too, but unless you need some specific feature i would question the swap as you probably get 800-1000£ selling old one and still having to put ~1k£ for new one. The way i see it you have very good receiver now that is not too old and i would rather spend the money elsewhere which is going to matter more (speakers, another subwoofer if single now, acoustic treatments, antimode 8033 cinema subwoofer eq if you want plug&play device). But yeah intresting to hear why the urge to change?

I'd only change the 3080 if you really have to, it's still pretty new AVR. Although if you do plan on going full AV pre, then I guess could be one option.

AV pres start at £1000 go up to £25000 or something for the Trinnov but they're typically around £4000

Getting another AVR without pre amp mode is not ideal as they do offer performance improvement.

I am thinking of doing the same. Upgrade my 3080 to A8A. I will only do it if I can sell my 3080 for a decent price. I have put it up for sale but no leads yet. It is hard to sell used high price AVRs without taking a big loss. I have listed it for $1750. It is still under factory warranty for another six months.

The A8A does have few new features. It has the ESS SABRE ES9026PRO Ultra DACs on all the channels and also added Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS:X® with CINEMA DSP HD3.

Sound wise I don't think there will be a big difference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom